Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you use Quick Connects on your Scope

Default Do you use Quick Connects on your Scope

Thought that I would start a new thread for a discussion about "Quick Disconnects" for you scopes. IF you do, what make and model have you had success with? Any thoughts on who has the best return to Zero? Have you had bad experience with any particular manufacture?
    Semper Fi and God Bless

I'm interested in this also. I have a Trijicon Accupoint 3-9 and I am ordering a Vortex Diamondback HP 4-16. I it would be nice if I was able to switch between the two. That Trijicon is a beast in low light situations.

Quote Originally Posted by tboehm View Post
    Thought that I would start a new thread for a discussion about "Quick Disconnects" for you scopes. IF you do, what make and model have you had success with? Any thoughts on who has the best return to Zero? Have you had bad experience with any particular manufacture?
    Dave Talley.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

I have a set of Warne QD rings on a Super Redhawk in 480 that have worked very well for me & returned to -0- well. Same for a set of Leupolds on a Marlin Guide Gun in 450. My Ruger Guide Gun in 375 will soon wear a set of Warnes.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

I have (3) three sets of WARNE QD rings.

This is just a guess......but 20 to 30 sets of LEUPOLD QR Rings.

(5) Five sets of the Burris P.E.P.R. ring system. (3) three sets of Kimber QR rings and bases.

One could conclude that I have a very high appreciation for QR rings and systems.

I still have several set of the old "Pukerton" system from the 70's, and those suck.

Never used them or ever plan to. Just something else to worry about when crunch time happens. You read a lot of stuff about removing the scope when going thru thick brush - in case of a bear attack, I guess. I figure if you're in thick brush and a bear comes at you, you're gonna point & shoot (it will probably be that close) and not worry about sights, scopes or anything. I've no problems with those that can't do without one, but see no real reason for them, today. At one time they were useful, in the event of scope fogging, but with the technology today, I believe that's a rare occurrence, with a quality scope.

I use the Leupold QR rings and bases. I have them on my 375 H&H. After I got the rifle sighted in I pulled the scope off and put it back on to see if my zero had changed. So far, after multiple removals and reattaches it has not. I was pretty surprised I didn't have to sight in every time I pulled it off.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    I have (3) three sets of WARNE QD rings.

This is just a guess......but 20 to 30 sets of LEUPOLD QR Rings.

(5) Five sets of the Burris P.E.P.R. ring system. (3) three sets of Kimber QR rings and bases.

One could conclude that I have a very high appreciation for QR rings and systems.

I still have several set of the old "Pukerton" system from the 70's, and those suck.
    So is it safe to conclude that the Leupolds are your favorites?
    Semper Fi and God Bless

Well........Kind'a, but the numbers do not represent all of the factors. Example: To the best of my knowledge if you want QR rings on a Ruger #1 or 44/77 you need Warne rings. The Burris PEPR rings work best for the AR-15 and AR-10 platform, however the Leupold QR rings will also work on the AR platform, just not as well.

The Burris PEPR swing type lever locking system is a nightmare if it is sub-zero and you want or need to change optics. I change optics on a firearm through out the day, depending on light conditions and where I am at that moment. It is a lot like clothing, I might leave the cabin 1/2 hour before first light dressed for cold and slow walking, but through out the day I will remove some clothing, add clothing, change to rain clothing, wind clothing, etc..

With QR rings I can have one optic on the rifle (Maybe a red dot) and as I get down on the Turnagain Arm beach, I might change to a 4.5-12X scope, for 200-300 yard wolf/coyote encounters. Then coming back to the cabin in the thick woods after a days walk, I might remove the 4.5-12X optic and install a 1.25-4X Illuminated Reticle optic. And when I get back to the cabin I might re-install the Aim-Point "PRO" Red Dot for things that go bump in the night.

It takes just seconds to change to the perfect optic for the conditions........like it takes just seconds to change jackets or hat for the conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by tboehm View Post
    So is it safe to conclude that the Leupolds are your favorites?

You don't mention what rifle you intend to use em on.......I only have QDs on a CZ 550 and the best I've found are made by Alaska Arm in Wasilla......far nicer then the Warne s I have.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    Never used them or ever plan to. Just something else to worry about when crunch time happens. You read a lot of stuff about removing the scope when going thru thick brush - in case of a bear attack, I guess. I figure if you're in thick brush and a bear comes at you, you're gonna point & shoot (it will probably be that close) and not worry about sights, scopes or anything. I've no problems with those that can't do without one, but see no real reason for them, today. At one time they were useful, in the event of scope fogging, but with the technology today, I believe that's a rare occurrence, with a quality scope.
    My concern may be unfounded, but I like the idea that if a scope should fail or be damaged when I am on day 2 of a 7 day hunt & far far from home, I can remove the scope & use my iron sights to get me through. Likely? No. But just about as likely as needing the SPOT device or the Quick Clot that I carry...
    As for something else to worry about at crunch time, I don't worry anymore about them coming loose than standard rings.
    Just personal preference.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Or the guy on a $20,000.00 three species guided hunt + $ 6,000.00 in travel expense, personal gear & equipment. Lot of reasons in my experience to have extra optics in camp.

Quote Originally Posted by Vance in AK View Post
    My concern may be unfounded, but I like the idea that if a scope should fail or be damaged when I am on day 2 of a 7 day hunt & far far from home,

Quote Originally Posted by duckslayer56 View Post
    I use the Leupold QR rings and bases. I have them on my 375 H&H. After I got the rifle sighted in I pulled the scope off and put it back on to see if my zero had changed. So far, after multiple removals and reattaches it has not. I was pretty surprised I didn't have to sight in every time I pulled it off.
    +1. I have the same on my 375, and have the same results.
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science"

Edwin Hubble

if my rifle has open sights, then it gets QD rings. if there are no sights then it gets high quality permanent style rings. I like knowing that if I crash and the scope takes the impact, that I can easily removed the broken optic and go in with open sights.

I don't trust them although several guys I know do. I just can't believe they return to the same zero after removing them. JMHO
    Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.

Quote Originally Posted by GrassLakeRon View Post
    +1. I have the same on my 375, and have the same results.
    That's good to hear, I have some Weavers that I can't say for sure were causing trouble but I pulled them for fear they were. I went to one piece Talley's but I'd sure like to have my irons as backups, might have to order some Leupold's.

I have used Talley, Warne, and ERA QD mounts and all work well and return to zero consistently.

Eaw were the best and my favorite
    Talley weren't my favorite
    Alaskan arms on my tiger have been really nice.
    Eaw were my favorite because of the one handed release. Very simple very awesome. Returning to zero was never an issue with any of them.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Had them on my 375 and they worked like a charm in practice - always right back to zero no problem (Talley's, I think, but it has been a while). Never had a use for them in the field - through goat, brown bear, caribou, moose, black bear hunting. I think overall I don't see a real need for them. My new rifle does not have fixed sights, so I have a fixed scope. LOL.

I would be curious to know if anyone has any hunting stories about their use.
    Taxidermy IS art!
    www.alaskawildliferugs.com
    Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!

It would be interesting to hear about the hunts that were saved due to having QD mounts.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast