Thread: Dipping at O'Brien creek advice

Default Dipping at O'Brien creek advice

So it looks like are only shot will be monday and tuesday (15th and 16th) and my dad will be joining us for the first time. Hes 6'7 and 60 yrs old, his knees from his basket ball days are not kind to him so thats gunna keep us off the knarley stuff, (no climbing, dangling, bungie cording, tightrope walking stuff like that) so the canyon is a no go. My question is, can we do ok dipping right around obrien or some spots along the bank? No need for hot spots, just a yes or no should work. Maybe some advice? Thanks guys, hope to see ya out there, dad isnt hard to miss, stop by and say hi.

Take the charter (Hem's) at O'Brien, It will increase your chances, not that expensive and make it much more enjoyable for your dad. They will drop you in a spot to catch fish, and he will pick a spot to your ability so it would be best for your dad. Plus you support a local business. Call his hotline 823-2200.

I know I did not answer your question, I have seen people catch fish at O'Brien creek, but not the best fishing.

Best of luck
    The true Soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.

HOOAH

Default Take the Charter

Again, not the answer you are looking for, but Hem's takes the cake in my book. I've been using him off and on for 4 years now, and have always had great luck. Plus, when you're done catching your take, you've got access to his cleaning station right there at O'Brien Creek. I've never done the cliff scramble, and never plan on doing it. I have also dipped from a boat at the bottom of the canyon, but for the cost, relative ease and safety, Hem's is it.

That said, I've seen people doing the Kenai drag off the gravel bar, just upstream from O'Brian. One trick I picked up was to put a rock in the bottom of the net, to help keep it on the bottom and open, while doing the drag. Watched a buy limit in a couple hours doing that when by all accounts the fishing wasn't extraordinary, but was good downriver. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by AKdreamn View Post
    ...Hem's takes the cake in my book....
    Absolutely...but be sure to check the Chitina Dipnet Hotline before you go....

As of today,
    If you are rushing to Chitina for a charter, we already have a line through Saturday and you probably won’t get out. The river is still extremely low, limiting spots. Sweeping with a 10-12 foot dipnet and hipboots continues to be the best. There are a bazillion people here already. Fishing has been pretty consistent. Yesterday, customers got at least 15 fish per permit, but it will continue to slow down through the weekend.
    Update Saturday afternoon for the upcoming week.

OP... PM sent.
    I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

Thank you guys for all the great advice, ill do updates ever couple hrs if ya'll would like.

I was up there the other day. You need to put your cooler out at Hems the night before. Get up and be there before 5 a.m. There was already a boat load ready with gear for the next morning drop off so it was no use hanging around and sleeping in the Jeep..

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    I was up there the other day. You need to put your cooler out at Hems the night before. Get up and be there before 5 a.m. There was already a boat load ready with gear for the next morning drop off so it was no use hanging around and sleeping in the Jeep..
    Oh, come on! Some of the best nights I've ever spent sleeping were in that parking lot! Seriously, a night in the parking lot is truly hell.
    Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.

Quote Originally Posted by The Great White Hunter View Post
    So it looks like are only shot will be monday and tuesday (15th and 16th) and my dad will be joining us for the first time. Hes 6'7 and 60 yrs old, his knees from his basket ball days are not kind to him so thats gunna keep us off the knarley stuff, (no climbing, dangling, bungie cording, tightrope walking stuff like that) so the canyon is a no go. My question is, can we do ok dipping right around obrien or some spots along the bank? No need for hot spots, just a yes or no should work. Maybe some advice? Thanks guys, hope to see ya out there, dad isnt hard to miss, stop by and say hi.
    Be glad you didn't go this weekend, there must have been 500 dipnetters show up Thursday night and Friday morning, we fished Thursday until midnight and the dipping was outstanding.(every parking lot was overflowing)..could not believe how many people arrived while we were on the river for 6 hours. I do agree that the Charter could make it easier.