Thread: Log Care Questions

Default Log Care Questions

I am building a 16 x 20 log cabin next summer. I have 1200 linear feet of 3-sided, 8-inch logs. The walls will be 10 feet high. Right now the logs are sitting on my property seasoning. I plan on hauling them out to Lake Louise some time this summer and hauling them out to our property next winter by snow machine. My questions are #1) Should I sand and stain them first to protect them, or should I wait until next summer when I am ready to build with them? #2) If I sand and stain them, what should I stain them with? I was thinking about Sikkens, because I have heard good things about their products, but I am a better builder than I am a painter so I'm looking for advice from someone with experience. #3) Should I cover the entire log with the stain or just the exterior? #4) How can I figure out how many gallons I need to finish the job? Thanks for anyone with some good advice.

I let my formed logs dry a year under tarp cover so they would not discolor, then the next spring I stained with Duk stain, it should take about 10 gallons to stain the complete log for your size. I had a pail of leftover stain to coat the ends when I cut the logs for installation. I stained the complete log and am glad I did, I think this will help stop any dry rot from starting if the wind blows and any chinking has been dislodged. My place has been up for 6 years, and I do not think I will have to restain for a couple more years. I used an airless sprayer to do the log staining. A lot of over spray and wasted stain, Quick but not economical. I put stickers in between the coated logs and they set for another year before I used them. Lot of fun figuring all this stuff out, have fun, enjoy. gerberman

Quote Originally Posted by Gerberman View Post
    I let my formed logs dry a year under tarp cover so they would not discolor, then the next spring I stained with Duk stain, it should take about 10 gallons to stain the complete log for your size. I had a pail of leftover stain to coat the ends when I cut the logs for installation. I stained the complete log and am glad I did, I think this will help stop any dry rot from starting if the wind blows and any chinking has been dislodged. My place has been up for 6 years, and I do not think I will have to restain for a couple more years. I used an airless sprayer to do the log staining. A lot of over spray and wasted stain, Quick but not economical. I put stickers in between the coated logs and they set for another year before I used them. Lot of fun figuring all this stuff out, have fun, enjoy. gerberman
    Hey, thanks for the advice.

Jack-

i would recommend an oil based sealer and treat the entire log at least once. it's always easiest prior to building and you won't be dealing with runs and ladders. I stain allof my dimensional wood prior to building for projects like gazebos and greenhouses, it always looks better and saves time. Stain now, cover and don't look back