Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deshka goes to bait/multiple hooks

Default Deshka goes to bait/multiple hooks

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/sf/EONR/i...n.NR&NRID=2101

Saturday on the Deshka is going to be a zoo!!!!

Nets get liberalized, too.

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/ap.../539315473.pdf

YEP.. let's kill 'em all...
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Quote Originally Posted by fishNphysician View Post
    Nets get liberalized, too.

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/ap.../539315473.pdf

YEP.. let's kill 'em all...
    Total BS. The Deshka may be having a good run but other rivers on the Susitna haven't made minimum escapement numbers in years. And we wonder why there are no kings. There shouldn't be ANY comm fishing as long as there are restrictions on the Susitna drainage.

What is wrong with ADFG? I just do t get it?

I'm glad I made a trip there already. Even with the current gear restrictions it only took about 10 minutes to land a couple of Kings between my buddy and I. I don't understand the need for bait right now.

Quote Originally Posted by ptarmigan View Post
    I'm glad I made a trip there already. Even with the current gear restrictions it only took about 10 minutes to land a couple of Kings between my buddy and I. I don't understand the need for bait right now.
    I'm guessing it's just a ploy so they can extend the comm fish opening.

They should have at LEAST waited until the lower escapement level is reached. Watch the run be a bit early and they won't get more fish in. They really should be targeting the upper limit anyway.

Kill them all this year boys, then next year we won't have to worry about those pesky salmon.
    brad g.
    So Cal, USA
    Visit my Sporting Clays website
    http://www.ysr-racer.com

Well the Deshka is on track to hit or go over the upper end of the escapement goal. Tracking with 2005 when it went over 37,000 fish. Not sure what folks would have them do differently at this stage in the return. I also bet the Sport Fish Managers would keep the comm. folks closed until both Chinook and Sockeye escapement to the Susitna system improved in general (several years). But it aint up to the Sport Fish bios. it is up to the Comm. Fish staff and the Board of Fish.

Looks like F&G, Sport Fish made a the right call. Escapement is landing right in the middle of the range. If folks are going to piss on them when they don't agree with a managmenet call then they sould admit when they were wrong.

What the down side to erring on the side of caution?
    brad g.
    So Cal, USA

Quote Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
    What the down side to erring on the side of caution?
    Over escapement, lost fishing opportunity, lost fish in the freezer, lost revenue in fishing license sales, lost revenue for guides and local businesses,...
    "The North wind is cold no matter what direction it's blowing"

Quote Originally Posted by DannerAK View Post
    Over escapement, lost fishing opportunity, lost fish in the freezer, lost revenue in fishing license sales, lost revenue for guides and local businesses,...
    So in other words, nothing?
    brad g.
    So Cal, USA

Quote Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
    So in other words, nothing?
    Nothing? Maybe to you living happily in So Cal. Might be singing a different tune if the Deshka was in your backyard like so many of us that live here. Tell us, what is the up side to erring on the side of caution?

Nothing? Maybe to you living happily in So Cal. Might be singing a different tune if the Deshka was in your backyard like so many of us that live here. Tell us, what is the up side to erring on the side of caution?

Don't make me laugh……….living happily in So. Cal?!
    I agree with your list Danner for the most part…….but I think we both can say confidently that any river on the parks is a long way from over escapement issues with any salmon other then maybe pinks.

Tell us, what is the up side to erring on the side of caution?
    More fish in the river? More fish coming back to the river in a few years? Your grandkids and my grandkids have a chance at catching a king?
    brad g.
    So Cal, USA

BS....Striving for upper escapement goal is not a problem, tons of fish out there besides a few kings to fill your freezer with, forget the revenue from a couple hundred licences.....govt will waste it anyway. Forget the guides....half take their cash back to Oregon or Washington anway.....besides, its the residents fish not some tourist or guides right to benefit from them.
    PLUS, it would be nice if future generations could catch some wild salmon, like our kids our grandkids!

I OWN property on the deshka, I have a stake in this tributary. Regardless, even the guy from Cali has more sense and realizes there is an issue here. Lets not repeat the mistakes others have made where the fish are gone or replaced with stocked runs......sheesh!

Rant over.
    Bk

Default Deshka goes to bait/multiple hooks

Quote Originally Posted by bkmail View Post
    BS....Striving for upper escapement goal is not a problem, tons of fish out there besides a few kings to fill your freezer with, forget the revenue from a couple hundred licences.....govt will waste it anyway. Forget the guides....half take their cash back to Oregon or Washington anway.....besides, its the residents fish not some tourist or guides right to benefit from them.
    PLUS, it would be nice if future generations could catch some wild salmon, like our kids our grandkids!

I OWN property on the deshka, I have a stake in this tributary. Regardless, even the guy from Cali has more sense and realizes there is an issue here. Lets not repeat the mistakes others have made where the fish are gone or replaced with stocked runs......sheesh!

Rant over.
    Bk
    Ysr asked what the downsides were to erring on the side of caution. I listed a few that arguably have merit. For anyone to say they have NO value is imo incorrect. I agree striving for upper escapement goals is not a problem, but over escapement is. It's likely the final count will be on the upper end of the escapement goal range, which is the justification for the more liberal regs. My freezer has plenty of fish in it including one king my 5 year old caught (not using bait or multi hooks on the Deshka btw). It's fine to disagree with the list I provided, but much of your rant is stretching my words and implying my intent incorrectly.

Well Danner, we can disagree then.....no harm in having an opinion.
    I didn't ask for the downsides, only gave you my opinion like many others did. Also did some research and discussed the #s with the fish biologist for the area and discussed how they make their decisions, it has nothing to do with quantity. Has everything to do with pressure from guides and fisherman wanting to catch kings......political not scientfic.

Regardless, I stand by what I believe is correct. Wish I had more time to debate the merits of the BS on ''over escapement'' but don't right now.
    Thanks for responding, lets discuss this topic on another thread as this one has gone sideways as most do eventually.

Headed to the deshka, which is extremely low right. Fish are entering and screaming upriver asap to the spawing beds.
    Good luck if you go fishing.
    Bm

"discussed the #s with the fish biologist for the area and discussed how they make their decisions, it has nothing to do with quantity. Has everything to do with pressure from guides and fisherman wanting to catch kings......political not scientfic."

Really? The area sport fish Bio told you that all his management actions are directed by guides and fisherman? Looks to me like they followed the management plan for the Deshka to the letter. No bait until there are enough fish passing the weir to insure minimum escapement. Then adjust accordingly.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast