Thread: Russian River Red?

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Default Russian River Red?

A little surprised there haven't been any reports yet. Anyone make a run down there for the opener?

A pair of my friends went down, and ended up limiting.

Three of us went down at o'dark thirty with no waiting to enter the RR campground. Hiked in to a few good spots below the falls and ended up limiting at 9 reds in less than two hours. We all were using 10 wt, 9 wt, and 5/6 wt (he limited out first!). We all lost more fish than we took home. They are in there. Be prepared for traffic and construction waits coming and going on the Seward Highway. saw over 4 mile long line of traffic going south at 3:30 p.m. yesterday. Luckily we were headed home the other way with our fish.

ADF&G was on the radio on the opener. They said it was slow and not a lot of fish sighted.
    The fishing report on the radio says they are picking up some reds in the lower river.
    I have never bothered to fish the Russian myself as I do not like crowds.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Any updates? I plan on heading out this afternoon.
    www.surfishingalaska.com (Work in Progress)

Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    I have never bothered to fish the Russian myself as I do not like crowds.
    Never have wanted to, never have, and never will.....

Pretty much the same reason I don't fish the Kasilof for kings anymore either......
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Started fishing around 5:00'sh pm. Wasn't really HOT but people were catching fish. A lot of people ...... I had to wait about a 1/2 hour before a spot opened up. Hooked 2 in 30 minutes and nothing for another 2 hours. Wasn't great, but had a good time.
    www.surfishingalaska.com (Work in Progress)

EO # 2-RS-1-28-15

Russian River and Upper Kenai

RUSSIAN RIVER SANCTUARY TO OPEN, RUSSIAN/UPPER KENAI RIVER SOCKEYE SALMON BAG AND POSSESSION LIMITS TO INCREASE, TUESDAY, JUNE 23

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/sf/EONR/i...n.NR&NRID=2115

- Gambler

Fished Sanctuary on opener. I didn't think fish were as thick as in years past. Water high enough there was no bank at all. People elbow to elbow but very polite. I fished next to some young men from the south who were very helpful. Most of us got our limits but it took a good part of the day. Fish just coming through all morning. I always think of it as a different kind of fishing and enjoy it for what it is.

Friday day off, spent it at the Russian river. Arrived around 8:00 a.m. got the pink salmon lot parking & walked down the russian river. No fish to be seen in the river. Then we ran into a fisherman just leaving the sanctuary area who limited out. Looking good. Plenty of hookups with our crew of four in the sanctuary area. I limited out by 12:30 p.m. Don't expect solitude here, it was crowded but we were able to tag team it in and out of the hole and end up with two limits of 6, 5 reds (finally) for one, and for the rookie that never fished the russian river 2 reds. fun time had by all. Did not rain that hard when we were there. Left by 4 p.m. home by 7 p.m. long day.