Thread: Honda Pioneer 1000-5

Default Honda Pioneer 1000-5

For the guys that like the Pioneer but need a little more oomph http://powersports.honda.com/2016/pioneer-1000-5.aspx

Bout time! The EPS model may be worth looking into.
    I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

NICE!!! Been waiting for this. No belts!
    The Second Amendment.......Know it, love it, support it.

If it has a LO range, then it can keep up with the competition on the most steep climbs. But I agree with you that a "gear" transmission is the best. Also, the Pioneer 500 should have a LO range plus a small cargo box, not just a rack at the back.

Quote Originally Posted by RayfromAK View Post
    If it has a LO range, then it can keep up with the competition on the most steep climbs. But I agree with you that a "gear" transmission is the best. Also, the Pioneer 500 should have a LO range plus a small cargo box, not just a rack at the back.
    I've seen this low range question before... it's been said that, with a geared transmission, the substitute for 'low' would be 1st gear.

Quote Originally Posted by akiceman25 View Post
    I've seen this low range question before... it's been said that, with a geared transmission, the substitute for 'low' would be 1st gear.
    But I have watched the videos of some Yamaha 2015 UTV with the 700 motor versus the 2015 Honda 700 motor on steep climbs, and the Yamaha leaves the Honda in the dust when the gear is switched to low range. A 1st gear being low means nothing compared to a LO range on 1st. Two different animals.

It is the same with 4x4 trucks, and even with ATVs that have a HI/LO range. For example, my very old Yamaha Big Bear has a HI/LO range, which allows the 350 motor to ride the ATV on the steepest trail hauling a meat trailer loaded with moose meat with ease, and at a very slow speed. The same when riding downhill on the steepest trail, sin I don't even have to use the brake.

In the video I saw of the Honda versus the Yamaha 4-seater, the Yamaha on LO gear passed the Honda on 1st gear near the top of the climb. The power was just not there because the engine's RPM on 1st gear was not fast enough to take advantage of the power band. This is a well known fact.

That said, I like the Honda machines more than the rest, except for that.

I kinda wondered about that. Thanks for clarifying.

Quote Originally Posted by akiceman25 View Post
    I kinda wondered about that. Thanks for clarifying.
    However, the new Honda 1000 has a Lo range, plus a more powerful motor than the Yamaha 700 UTVs, so maybe that will make a difference, but only on the most steep terrain with the machines loaded. Through the mud and the average flat ground trail with small climbs, it should not make a difference for the older Honda UTV's versus Yamaha's.