Thread: Pintle/Ball combo hitch questions

Default Pintle/Ball combo hitch questions

I tow my small Zodiak around on my two place snowmachine trailer in the summer and have a 20HP motor on the back that I hate taking off and on so I usually leave it in place. The problem I run into is that even when I put all my stuff in the front of the boat there is barely any weight on the hitch so it bangs up and down when I hit bumps and I am worried that it might break someday. I have been looking at these pintle ball combos http://www.amazon.com/CURT-45919-Cha...s=PINTLE+HITCH
    and thought it was the answer to my issues but it looks like they only recommend using a tow ring with the pintle closed and when using a normal 2" couple like on my trailer they say to leave it open. Has anyone tried using a 2" ball coupler with a combo like this and leaving the top pintle part down and locked? I'm not even sure if it is possible. Thanks for any help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHoVXcdEEB8

I haven't used the combo in your link. I have used both separately quite a bit.
    I don't think you would be able to close the Pintle hitch and I don't see how it would help all that much.
    Can you add something for tongue weight? Say some firewood or something on the front of the trailer? Properly secured of course.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

I run into a similar problem when I tow my drift boat with the outboard on: not enough tongue weight causes things to bang around on every bump. The banging on my rig comes from the play between the ball mount and the receiver, not from between the trailer and the ball. If you're situation is similar to mine, a pintle/ball hitch won't help. I know you said you put your stuff in the front of the boat, but it sounds to me like you still need more tongue weight.

A sway bar may help some. It sounds like you aren't bringing along near enough beer.

Is it an Al trailer cause yeah it'll break soon.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

This is a recipe for disaster. Not only should you be worried about it simply breaking, you should be worried about it breaking at highway speeds, the trailer coming loose and hitting another vehicle and hurting someone. Knowingly towing a trailer that's improperly set up is a bad idea.

Quote Originally Posted by kevin476 View Post
    I tow my small Zodiak around on my two place snowmachine trailer in the summer and have a 20HP motor on the back that I hate taking off and on so I usually leave it in place. The problem I run into is that even when I put all my stuff in the front of the boat there is barely any weight on the hitch so it bangs up and down when I hit bumps and I am worried that it might break someday. I have been looking at these pintle ball combos http://www.amazon.com/CURT-45919-Cha...s=PINTLE+HITCH
    and thought it was the answer to my issues but it looks like they only recommend using a tow ring with the pintle closed and when using a normal 2" couple like on my trailer they say to leave it open. Has anyone tried using a 2" ball coupler with a combo like this and leaving the top pintle part down and locked? I'm not even sure if it is possible. Thanks for any help.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHoVXcdEEB8
    I have used those hitches with the pintle down on the ball before. So it will do it. Can't say they ALL will as those pintle hitches can have varying amounts of play in them and there obviously has to be enough play to fall on the hitch and still pin the pintle portion. There might even be some trailer hitch designs on the trailer latch that would cause the two to not fit. Just know that I have used them as you are suggesting in the past for what it's worth.
    Of course you are aware driving with a tongue light trailer is not good.
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

The bigger problem is a trailer with insufficient tongue weight will be unstable at speed. I'm surprised you haven't experienced the trailer fishtailing due to the light tongue weight. I'd position the zodiak farther forward on the trailer or add some weight to the tongue to improve the balance of the trailer.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Why don't you just turn the boat around on the trailer?

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by limon32 View Post
    Why don't you just turn the boat around on the trailer?
    ...or just get a trailer that fits the boat?

10 to 15% of trailer weight loaded (trailer, boat, motor, fishing poles, etc...) should be be your tounge weight on the hitch (5,000lb load= 500- 750lbs on the hitch). Pintel hitches are awesome, I've got 40K miles running back and forth from NE to AK towing 4 tons plus, but needs to be rated to what is back there and it's no band-aid for a correctly loaded trailer.
    ~Beer Drinkin don't do half the harm of love makin~. Old New England Proverb
    * 1991 24' Almar Jetline Cabin-cruiser * 2004 16' Lund * 1955 17' Grumman Canoe
    - MMSI# 338169948

Quote Originally Posted by cod View Post
    I have used those hitches with the pintle down on the ball before. So it will do it. Can't say they ALL will as those pintle hitches can have varying amounts of play in them and there obviously has to be enough play to fall on the hitch and still pin the pintle portion. There might even be some trailer hitch designs on the trailer latch that would cause the two to not fit. Just know that I have used them as you are suggesting in the past for what it's worth.
    Of course you are aware driving with a tongue light trailer is not good.
    I don't understand how this would work a pintle should only lock when completely flat on the ball otherwise it would bang every time the trailer articulated.

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by realunlucky View Post
    I don't understand how this would work a pintle should only lock when completely flat on the ball otherwise it would bang every time the trailer articulated.

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2
    The ones we have at work have plenty of gap to accomplish what the OP is asking, we use them that way, but as others have noted that's not a good substitute for tongue weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk