Thread: Timing for Silvers in Valdez this year

Default Timing for Silvers in Valdez this year

I am looking at putting together a trip to Valdez for some Silvers this year (assuming they show up ) but I was curious as to what people thought about the timing in relation to the late Labor Day this year. Commercial fishing still opens the day after Labor Day, correct? Assuming the salmon do come in this year, would there be any negative concerns about fishing that later Labor Day weekend?

It's not like they are running up rivers so I would think it would be ok. My unscientific prediction is they will show this year. Only because they did in 2011, 2013 and its 2015 this year. lol. The biggest downside might be that with many runs showing good early returns, you may have to sort through some blushed fish if you are looking for strictly chromers if fishing Labor Day weekend.

Good question. I am curious as well. since Labor Day is a full week later than when I was fishing them in past years during that Holiday.

We have been going to Valdez since 2007. We usually go down the third week of August and stay for 2 -3 weeks. The two years the fish did not show up were pretty bad. The first year we fished 7 days and got one fish. The second year they didn't show up we fished 6 days and got one fish. People who have been fishing there for over 20 years had never seen anything like that. Had no explanations. This year now that we have the new boat we'll probably go down for the whole month of August since we can get out of the harbor and try for some butt and other fish. So usually the third week of August is a safe bet. Good luck...
    When the HOGS show up, somethins gonna DIE!!!
    Blood Sport
    32' Custom Wooldridge
    MMSI #: 338181573

Yeah, I was there in 2012 and last year briefly as well for the missing salmon. Talk about depressing. And yeah, we usually target the third week roughly as well. This year though, we are restricted by the holiday weekend and some other dates. I do agree that the fish aren't really going anywhere but I also didn't know if the bite totally dies off that late. Still, I would rather have the fish there and a slow bite than no fish at all.

Oh, and Stanly, I watched your boat build thread with sheer jealousy

Thanks, it literally is a dream come true and we are still pinching ourselves every time we go out...
    When the HOGS show up, somethins gonna DIE!!!
    Blood Sport
    32' Custom Wooldridge
    MMSI #: 338181573

Saw pinks jumping out at Goose island today. Just before Labor Day is usually the best time. They are closer to port and you don't have to run so far out.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012