Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trolling Streamers?

Default Trolling Streamers?

Anyone ever fished dedicated trolling streamers, the tandem hook variety? Pictures to come when I get a free moment, but this spring I've been tying and fishing them up here for king salmon. Wow!

I love casting as much as anyone and prefer it. But it's often a challenge finding the fish concentrations that make casting worthwhile. Recent fly rod trolling experiments have me thinking about more than offshore king salmon.

That was standard tackle in Puget Sound when I lived there, I've used some that I brought up in Seward for silvers and I felt like I was cheating!

Quote Originally Posted by limon32 View Post
    ...and I felt like I was cheating!
    I'm close to that myself. They really whack them hard. And often!

My son and I stumbled on to trolling streamers while fishing the outlet of Naknek Lake. We wanted to reposition the boat and the son was dragging the fly line with a big black leach with a green head, articulating type. Pickup a nice bow and thought is was a fluke, tried again and bam another fish. Caught a few this way. It makes for a good break if your arm gets tried. Not what I call fly-fishing but it does produce fish. Take care.

BrownBear,

Any chance you can post some photos of the streamers that you have been using?

THX

I like trolling flies for lakers here in the NWT.
    Very effective and a lot of times will out produce hardware.

Quote Originally Posted by dagreiner1013 View Post
    BrownBear,

Any chance you can post some photos of the streamers that you have been using?

THX
    You bet. BTW- All our trolling was done with fly rods, T-18 shooting heads 30' long, and mono running line. By actual measurement, they were only getting down about 4' below the surface.

This black and silver one was the winner by a mile. Between us and guests on the boat, we landed over 30 kings on it this past summer.
    http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x...psyjixpjco.jpg

This one was in second place with only 8 or 10.
    http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x...pscff1ciwe.jpg

power commuting twixt the valley and anchorage

I used to fish out of float tubes quite a bit. I'd say most of the fishing I did was throwing out a bugger and kicking with the fins until I picked up a fish. Technically it's trolling, and it works.
    My only gear sponsor is the salvation army - Dick Griffith

Quote Originally Posted by scott_rn View Post
    Technically it's trolling, and it works.
    Oh yeah. Casting is still cooler to most folks, but trolling flies on fly rods has been around a long, long time. They were doing it back into the 1800's. If you like that sort of stuff and want to spend the bucks Trolling Flies for Trout & Salmon is one of the best books around. Loaded with fly patterns and history, and the flies still work as well today as they did back before outboard motors were even a fantasy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have been tying and fishing with trolling flies for over a dozen years. I have been fishing them in salt water in the Puget Sound for silvers, pinks and kings. Until this year I have been fishing tube flies for salt water fish. This season I have been tying tandem hook streamers about 5 inches long. I fished them for the first time going out of Sekiu on to the Strait of Juan De Fuca. I was long lining with a fly rod and 225 grain sink tip line in the early morning. I put them on down riggers when the sun came out and the salmon moved deeper. Salmon on a fly rod over deep water is good sport. I am having problems putting a photo up. I have photos and more info on my face book page:
    https://www.facebook.com/Arctic-Fox-Trolling-flies-154230011419259/

Quote Originally Posted by dragginflies View Post
    I have been tying and fishing with trolling flies for over a dozen years. I have been fishing them in salt water in the Puget Sound for silvers, pinks and kings. Until this year I have been fishing tube flies for salt water fish. This season I have been tying tandem hook streamers about 5 inches long. I fished them for the first time going out of Sekiu on to the Strait of Juan De Fuca. I was long lining with a fly rod and 225 grain sink tip line in the early morning. I put them on down riggers when the sun came out and the salmon moved deeper. Salmon on a fly rod over deep water is good sport. I am having problems putting a photo up. I have photos and more info on my face book page:
    https://www.facebook.com/Arctic-Fox-...4230011419259/
    What's the plastic cup thingy on the line in front of the fly?
    And what does it do?

Quote Originally Posted by DRIFTER_016 View Post
    What's the plastic cup thingy on the line in front of the fly?
    And what does it do?

Called an ActionDisc. It imparts action to the fly or hoochie, much like a dodger does.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Fin chaser is right. It is a Wiggle Fin Action Disc. You don't need a dodger or flasher when you use it. It turns a fly into a crank bait. It is small enough to use with a fly rod. Here is a link to an underwater shot of the disc with a tandem fly.

Thanks guys!!
    I figured they were for adding action to the fly.
    I think I need some for my laker trolling flies.

I've played a fair bit with them, and have a few "lessons" worth passing along.

There's a relationship between the size of your fly and how close up the leader you set the ActionDisc. Too far up, and it doesn't move the fly. Said otherwise, the bigger your flies, the closer you have to set the disc to get any benefit. Easy to test simply by hanging the leader over the side of your moving boat, just to see if it is working or not.

Second lesson is that they don't work for poot if you're trolling just straight fly line without the benefit of a weight or downrigger. They make even heavy fly lines skim back up to the surface as you troll. We're using sinking lines rather than weights or downriggers, so I've pretty much quit using the discs. Still keep them on boat and use them happily for trolling with conventional gear with weights or downriggers. And they work not only with flies, but with herring.

Eventually the little plastic stops give out, and the discs start sliding back down to the head of your fly. When you order the discs, go ahead and get an extra pack or two of the stops. The discs seem to last forever, but you can't have too many spare stops around, especially if you're trolling faster for silvers.

The stops (Slide Lock Beads) are great for changing the distance above the fly. Eventually you figure out the distance up the line that you like. Then you can use a swivel to keep the disk where you want it.
    I fished a derby for three days and had one rod continuously fishing. After three days of the disk flexing the line at one spot, the line fatigued and broke. I now move the disk a couple of times per day.
    I can keep the disk & fly below the surface with a fast sinking shooting head, using thin braid as backing to reduce the lift.

Where can the action disc be purchased?

Quote Originally Posted by Roland on the River View Post
    Where can the action disc be purchased?
    You can get them right off their site Roland.

https://wigglefin.com/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast