Thread: Help With Seward Weather

Default Help With Seward Weather

I was wondering if someone could please help me out ? I have moved my boat to Seward. I have been going out of PWS for the last 8 or 9 years. I understand what to look for there in the weather reports for a good day on the water. I have a 27ft alum cat so it can handle the water pretty good. But I like to take the family out on good weather days. I know the rollers in the gulf differ from the wind blown chop in the sound. So I guess what I am asking is what a good wave height and wind direction to look for for a god day on the water outside res bay to take the family out. Thanks for any advice that anyone will give me. The area I want to go to is around
    chiswell to start exploring for fish,

For me wind speed really seems to be the best indicator. Once you leave the mouth of the bay you're open to the gulf and wind in pretty much any direction is going to build waves. But as you say, the rollers aren't as bad as a tight chop. I've been in rollers where I can't see the horizon when I'm in the trough and I'll take that over a 2-3' chop in the sound any day.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

I agree with the wind speed indicator, but remember that Res Bay ALWAYS gets a pretty good day breeze with steep chop in the afternoon.

The Pilot Rock station is a good check to see what it's doing going out to the Chiswells.

http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?station=pila2

Any significant wind with an easterly or southerly component will bring nasty stuff. The buoy off Cape Cleare is down now but probably wouldn't help for going west much anyway.

Protected boating isn't as good as it is in PWS and anchorages aren't what you're used to so if you're camping out on the boat, it's not as comfortable typically. The Sound sure spoils you for nice, quiet and protected anchorages, that's for sure.

I sailed on USCG Cutter out of Seward for 2 years. Any of the coves in Aialik Bay offer great protection. Paradise Cove is most excellent and wasn't that deep if I remember. Fire Cove and Crater Bay in Granite Passage are very nice also. Agree with posts, long ocean swell beats short chop. My limit on 110' cutter was 15 ft at entrance, just wasn't worth it to do operations above that height. Been in 15' ocean rollers with no problem but no chop.

This is good information for me as well as I stay confused. I like to fish around Rugged Island, around Cape Resurrection into Day Harbor and around Cape Aialik and into Aialik Bay. When looking at forecast I usually take the NOAA conditions for Resurrection Bay and the conditions for Core Point to Cleare Point and use an average between the 2 to guess if it is going to be rough or not. It is only good about 50% of the time and I have missed good days thinking it would be bad and made a long drive and getting smacked around when I thought it would be calm. I need a better method. I have not been taking wind direction into account just speed and sea conditions. As mentioned 10' rollers far apart are not the same as 10" waves close together.

Based on your advise if Pilot Rock would have less than 15 knots any direction would that be doable in a standard 24' boat. If it was 20 knots out of the North or West would that be better than 15 out of the South or East. Just trying to get my hands around what to look for. What about when the forecast is North 10 Knots, seas 2' in Resurrection Bay, NNW 5 - 10, seas 2' Cape Cleare - Gore Point, and SSW at 15 knots at Pilot Point as it is currently 3:30 on a Friday afternoon? I would look at that and try and get out of the office early as it sounds like a great day to be on the water.

I am just looking for some rules of thumb here knowing this is the weather and water we are talking about and it is constantly changing and everyone has there own ideas of what is to much or OK. As I think about your advice if I understand it, if the wind is blowing from Seward or Homer not so bad. If blowing from the Gulf liable to be a little more lumpy.

Quote Originally Posted by Fish Witch View Post
    The Pilot Rock station is a good check to see what it's doing going out to the Chiswells.

http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?station=pila2

Any significant wind with an easterly or southerly component will bring nasty stuff. The buoy off Cape Cleare is down now but probably wouldn't help for going west much anyway.

Protected boating isn't as good as it is in PWS and anchorages aren't what you're used to so if you're camping out on the boat, it's not as comfortable typically. The Sound sure spoils you for nice, quiet and protected anchorages, that's for sure.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by Tolman24 View Post
    This is good information for me as well as I stay confused. I like to fish around Rugged Island, around Cape Resurrection into Day Harbor and around Cape Aialik and into Aialik Bay. When looking at forecast I usually take the NOAA conditions for Resurrection Bay and the conditions for Core Point to Cleare Point and use an average between the 2 to guess if it is going to be rough or not. It is only good about 50% of the time and I have missed good days thinking it would be bad and made a long drive and getting smacked around when I thought it would be calm. I need a better method. I have not been taking wind direction into account just speed and sea conditions. As mentioned 10' rollers far apart are not the same as 10" waves close together.

Based on your advise if Pilot Rock would have less than 15 knots any direction would that be doable in a standard 24' boat. If it was 20 knots out of the North or West would that be better than 15 out of the South or East. Just trying to get my hands around what to look for. What about when the forecast is North 10 Knots, seas 2' in Resurrection Bay, NNW 5 - 10, seas 2' Cape Cleare - Gore Point, and SSW at 15 knots at Pilot Point as it is currently 3:30 on a Friday afternoon? I would look at that and try and get out of the office early as it sounds like a great day to be on the water.

I am just looking for some rules of thumb here knowing this is the weather and water we are talking about and it is constantly changing and everyone has there own ideas of what is to much or OK. As I think about your advice if I understand it, if the wind is blowing from Seward or Homer not so bad. If blowing from the Gulf liable to be a little more lumpy.
    North winds in Res Bay = an even rougher return trip to the harbor than usual.

I'm not an expert on Seward weather, but I would rather have a little north wind than south. The ride in and out of the bay can suck, but once out you can find good fishing in relatively calm water. South wind can make it miserable in and outside of the bay. Fortunately I can plan my trips during favorable forecasts, and if I don't get any, I find somewhere else to fish
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation