Thread: How to remove legs without a saw (video)

Default How to remove legs without a saw (video)

I took some video last fall while butchering cattle, showing how I remove the lower leg at the knee with a knife. Its very easy to do, and can be a lifesaver (or at least backsaver) if you aren't carrying a saw! Video here.

Very good tip! I prefer this over the bone saw because you don't end up with a bunch of bone chips contaminating your meat.

People saw the legs off?!
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Many times we have cut the front leg at the knee with a knife, skinned it down a ways, and then threaded it through behind the tendon of the rear leg to make a field pack to get a buck to the road without a back pack.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

SmokeRoss, my in-laws taught that method to me when I moved here from the Lower 48. They call it 'the southeast pack'. Works pretty well!

Good video.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven_JR View Post
    Very good tip! I prefer this over the bone saw because you don't end up with a bunch of bone chips contaminating your meat.
    I've found that it's not a problem if you do it right before you take the hide down near the 'elbow.' After this last years moose, I will NEVER let us forget to take the Sawzall into the field because of the weight. We had to resort to a hatchet and our knives to separate the lower legs segments, ribs and antlers. New thing that makes us laugh now, we call fist size rocks 'field hammers.'

Appreciate the video. Definitely going to keep that one in the bank for future situations without a saw.
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

I didn't know people sawed legs off until I moved up here. Dad taught me that leg removal skill years ago. The trick is the hind legs-keeping the tendon attached so you can easily loop a rope through it for hanging it... Sometimes I miss and cut the tendon. The trick to the front leg is to cut all the tissue on the inside of the joint then its super easy just like the video.

I also videoed a back leg removal that I will get posted someday. The spot to cut on the back leg is further down than you'd think. I think its about 2 inches below where the tendon starts to separate from the bone.

Thanks. Just posted it because there are lots of new hunters and those without mentors that this may help, as well as a few old dogs that can still learn a new trick.

I do it like this;

Feel the Caribou/Sheep/Moose/Muskox leg UP from the foot intill you feel the first "Bump', or bony sorta ring of bone just below the knee. Cut completely around the leg bone there, through the skin, if you dont care, or skin it first and its as easy to see as it it to feel. Well, anyways, I score a cut all the way around the bone joint there (its not very flexable) cutting facial and tendons, and apply side pressure to 'snap' the leg bone off.

Front leg and rear leg , same same, and you end up with the hocks intack't to hang the rear quarters. Hard to find a picture, but heres one with the final results, unskinned. You call really feel the bone junction as you feel up from the foot to just below the kneed, easily. When you cut, keep the blade along the 'bump', all the way around the bone. The majority of the joints different little joint bones will stay on the carcase.

If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

That can be useful but I like sawing the legs off a bit lower on the leg than the knee because of how I like to hang the moose. It really doesn't make a huge difference though. when you're packing these things out cutting those legs means a lot of weight you aren't having to carry which is nice.