Thread: Best source for new dipnet?

Default Best source for new dipnet?

I searched into some past threads but didn't notice where people are currenty buying quality nets from? With Bass Pro, Cabelas, Costco, B&Js and maybe some others offering nets.. I'd like to hear whose offering the best net at a decent price. Extra points if someone knows which of these offer the extensions for nets as well. I'm personally after a longer net for dipping the Kenai.

Thanks for any info!

Mark
    I think about hunting when I wake up in the morning. I think about it all day. And I think about it at night. The only time I don't think about it is when I'm doing it. ~credit to Carl Yastrzemski~

I bought mine a few years back from Mike's Welding in Sterling. It wasn't cheap, but it's built well.

Depends! Do you want the best net or do you want the cheapest net?
    The best Kenai and Kasilof nets come from Mikes welding in Sterling. They also sell extensions. They are the best nets money can buy and I will use no other.
    The tapered aluminum of their hoops is hands down better than any net available anywhere and their welding is excellent.
    I couldn't tell you who's the cheapest and quite frankly I don't care as I am done using cheap nets. They are harder to use drag way more in the current and I just do not care for them anymore. Trying getting Costco to reweld your broken net or make you a custom length handle!
    http://www.mikesweldingak.com/
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

My home made conduit net gave up the ghost last year after ~10 seasons. This year I'll plunk down for one of Mike's nets. It's worth every penny to have a light and strong net that doesn't have bolts sticking out to hang up the net. I've looked at all the different nets out there and Mike's is far and away the best design. There's a big difference between fighting a heavy mediocre net and working with a well designed light one.

If you want cheap, build your own. If you're going to plunk down coin, get a good one.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Looks like Mike is the way to go! Thanks for the link Kasilofchris.

Hope everyone has full freezers this year.
    I think about hunting when I wake up in the morning. I think about it all day. And I think about it at night. The only time I don't think about it is when I'm doing it. ~credit to Carl Yastrzemski~

I have two of Mike's Welding nets, and I agree that the thinner, more hydrodynamic shape of his aluminum tubing, that he makes his hoops out of, is much better than using round stock. It's shaped like this () and provide less "drag" in strong current. But, I wish that his hoops allowed a way to open up and slide the net directly onto the hoop, instead of needing to lash the let with cord to hold it on. As mine came when new, Mike's used one continuous cord to lash the net on, and this lasted less than one season on the rooks of the Copper River. And when the first piece of cord wears through, the whole net comes loose pretty quickly. Granted, being located in Sterling, Mike's is mostly targeting the Kenai customers, where softer river-beds prevail.

After that first season, I used short pieces of cord to make individual lashing points, which was a PITA to tie on, and I still had to make riverbank repairs as the lashes on the bottom of the hoop wore out against the rocks. But, at least the whole net didn't come loose. I even switched to using zip-ties instead of cord last season, and they lasted longer than cord lashings. But, the "nubs" of the zip-ties caused more work between landing fish, because the net constantly became hung up on them. I've considered wrapping garden hose around the hoop, to protect the lashes or zip-ties, but, that will completely eliminate the low-drag benefit of Mikes () profile tubing.

I recently saw a Pro-Apollo dip net at Bass Pro: http://proapollodipnets.com/ made down in Ninilchik.

Pro Apollo has an interesting (maybe patented?) solution to the net abrasion problem. They use a thin aluminum rod running all around the inside of the round profiled 3/4" hoop, upon which the net is hung. The outer hoop make all the contact with the rocks, and protects the net which is hanging on the inside rod. The rod can be disconnected fairly easily, whenever you want, or need, to put on a new net-bag. This set up will probably produce about the same amount of drag as a "standard" 1" round aluminum hoop (maybe a little more?, haven't tried one yet.)

Lastly, I replaced the larger "gill-net" that came on my Mike's Welding dip nets, with smaller sized mesh "boat-mesh" net-bags from Donaldson's, for use on the Copper River. Again, Mike's Welding is targeting Kenai customers, who want gill-type nets, because of the long walks back to the beach while wade-fishing the Kenai. On the Copper, we mostly stand on dry rocks and just snatch the fish out of the water immediately. So, speed and ease of removing the fish from the net is more convenient.

Thanx, Dave.
    "Luckily, enforcement reads these forums, and likely will peruse this one...Especially after a link of it is forwarded to them....." - AlaskaHippie.

Iv'e replaced a net bag on a Mike's net a couple of times before.
    I would bring a replacement net as well as a mending needle and twine. Replacing the bag is fairly easy and took me ~ 5-10 minutes with the proper tools.
    having those parts with you will make it easy to replace the net should you have an incident or when it finally wears out after repeated use.
    You can buy different sized hanging twine and if fishing the copper you just use a bigger tougher size twine.
    If you keep the mesh covered and out of direct sunlight it will last much longer. If you can't store it indoors but a heavy duty trash bag over the hoop to protect the mesh from the damaging UV rays.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Why I don't like fiberglass poles. This one has even been reinforced.
    Attached Images Attached Images

another one for mikes. I used to use the fiberglass smaller ones on the chitina but switched to the bigger 5' hoop that mikes built. Its tough. To bad I wont be able to dip this year because of my back injury......................................

Costco has some in stk as well longer handles they work well

Quote Originally Posted by shimano 33 View Post
    I searched into some past threads but didn't notice where people are currenty buying quality nets from? With Bass Pro, Cabelas, Costco, B&Js and maybe some others offering nets.. I'd like to hear whose offering the best net at a decent price. Extra points if someone knows which of these offer the extensions for nets as well. I'm personally after a longer net for dipping the Kenai.

Thanks for any info!

Mark
    Mike's Welding in Sterling is the best!! I've had his nets for about 7 years now. NO Problems. Wore out a couple nets. Easy to get a new net and attach. I've also gone back to Mike's with a buddy to have nets redone, and they will do it on the spot for you. Not a bad setup. AND, they will sell you as many 10 foot extensions as you want to buy. I couldn't tell you prices as I bought mine so long ago, but with a family of 10, they paid for themselves the first year.