Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: BROWN RECLUSE SPIDER Bites.......education/experience requested PLEASE

Default BROWN RECLUSE SPIDER Bites.......education/experience requested PLEASE

Does anyone have any Brown Recluse Spider experiences........??? Good, bad or UGLY........??? I'll take any information you may have to offer, be it first hand, or secondary information. Thank You.

Yes, I have every reason to suspect that I have been bitten. Yes, it hurts.

I am surprised at my lack of knowledge about brown recluse spider bites. I put this in the hunting section, for two reasons. First I think it is the most observed section of AOF, and also this information would be useful to hunters on longer drop off hunts.

My girlfriends father got bit on the leg (he lives here in South Central) about 6 weeks back. He's still in a bit of pain and on a few different meds.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

I've been bitten twice.

First time I didn't know what was going on. Day 1: White headed bump on my leg. Thought it was an ingrown hair or pimple. In fact we tried to poke it open and drain it. Nothing came out. Day 2: The bump started getting bigger and turning red with a little warmth to the area. Day 3: Liquid was oozing out of my shin and my hands were shaking a little. Ended up going to the ER (Sunday). They gave me a shot of something to loosen up what was inside the bite and told me to the family doc the next day to have lanced open. Day 4: Famly doc lanced it open, drained it, and packed it with gauze. The gauze was jerked out the next day and the hole in my shin was probably 1/2" - 1" deep. Still have a dime sized scar/depression 10 years later.

The other bite was on my wrist. It too looked like a pimple/ingrown hair, but there was also lack of mobility and some pain in my wrist. Doc told me to put neosporin on it and gave me some kind of antibiotic. Said the blood flow is better in that area, and it was caught early enough that I wouldn't have the same result as my leg. Sure enough it healed up and no scar or eating away of the tissue.

Thank You that is very helpful information.

Quote Originally Posted by wjohnson View Post
    I've been bitten twice.

First time I didn't know what was going on. Day 1: White headed bump on my leg. Thought it was an ingrown hair or pimple. In fact we tried to poke it open and drain it. Nothing came out. Day 2: The bump started getting bigger and turning red with a little warmth to the area. Day 3: Liquid was oozing out of my shin and my hands were shaking a little. Ended up going to the ER (Sunday). They gave me a shot of something to loosen up what was inside the bite and told me to the family doc the next day to have lanced open. Day 4: Famly doc lanced it open, drained it, and packed it with gauze. The gauze was jerked out the next day and the hole in my shin was probably 1/2" - 1" deep. Still have a dime sized scar/depression 10 years later.

The other bite was on my wrist. It too looked like a pimple/ingrown hair, but there was also lack of mobility and some pain in my wrist. Doc told me to put neosporin on it and gave me some kind of antibiotic. Said the blood flow is better in that area, and it was caught early enough that I wouldn't have the same result as my leg. Sure enough it healed up and no scar or eating away of the tissue.

One of my Navy buddies got bit when we pulled into Mayport, FL. He thought an ant bit him at the time, and for the next 4 or 5 days his arm got swollen, red, sore, and puss started to come out the bite site-much like a giant pimple would. Pretty disgusting actually, he tried to get me to lance it for him - Now I can gut critters and fish all day long, but when it comes to puss and people it makes my stomach turn, so I politely declined. He lanced it himself, and I remember a gush of white fluid and blood come out, he actually freaked out, and I sort of did too. Right away knew something was not right here and took him to see Doc, they cut a bunch of dead flesh out of his arm and irrigated it for quite a while, huge gash in his arm afterwards and he has quite the scar. Senior Doc said it was a Brown Recluse bite, he'd seen em before. Docs exact words were, 'Why did you wait so long dumb *****?! This could of been a whole lot worse!"

If you think you were bit, go see the doc now.....
    The Second Amendment.......Know it, love it, support it.

My step father got bit when I was a kid, started off looking like a big pimple, then Mom took him to the hospital after a couple days. They cut a bunch of dead flesh away from the bite since he waited so long to get it checked out. I still remember my mom swabbing out the big hole in his arm. It's THE reason I don't like spiders at all, and kill each one I see on site.

I 100% agree with the post above, if you think you've been bitten by one, get to the doc and get it checked out now.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Well this document say's that there are NO Brown Recluse Spiders in Alaska..............http://www.epi.hss.state.ak.us/bulle...s/b2000_17.htm

THE next door neighbor to my daughter in Virginia, got bit by a brown recluse, in 2 weeks he was dead, GO TO THE DOCTOR NOW.

Everything I have ever read about brown recluses strongly advised imediate medical attention and the effects over time can worsen. While there not listed here in Alaska they often get transplanted all over the place because of humans and you frankly dont know where they'll pop up. Likewise even if it is not a brown recluse you still might need to go to the Dr. I got bit my a spider in Ketchikan and broke out in hives, throat swelling, and the works. Started to feel real serious. The bite only looked like a mosquito bite too. Enjoy your posts about hope so go to the Dr.

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    Well this document say's that there are NO Brown Recluse Spiders in Alaska..............http://www.epi.hss.state.ak.us/bulle...s/b2000_17.htm
    No naturally occurring Brown Recluse spiders in AK, but that doesn't account for spiders that are brought up from the lower 48 in luggage on planes, folks moving up, stuff being shipped up, etc. I don't have any first hand experience with BR spider bites but I have seen the scars from their bites and all of them (total of 3) required skin grafts and looked pretty bad. One in particular was a bite on a guy's forearm, around the elbow, and the guy ended up having to have a fair amount of muscle tissue removed.

Brown recluse spiders like to hide and stay out of site. That is where they get there name. They get shipped up with the summer moves from the South. So have you been around any recent arrivals with motor home or shipment of household goods? Is this just one spot or a string of bites and where is the bite if it is more than one spot I would figure it is shingles not a spider bite. Go see your doctor/PA/Nurse practitioner now so you are not sitting in the Emergency Room for 6 hours tonight trying to figure out what it is. If it is brown recluse there is usually a necrotic area that develops after a few days no matter what you do, the local infection that is usually along for the ride is treated with antibiotics the sooner the better.
    DENNY

Shingles........that would suck. But that is much more likely than BR Spider it now appears. Thanks for this information.

Quote Originally Posted by boneguy View Post
    Brown recluse spiders like to hide and stay out of site. That is where they get there name. They get shipped up with the summer moves from the South. So have you been around any recent arrivals with motor home or shipment of household goods? Is this just one spot or a string of bites and where is the bite if it is more than one spot I would figure it is shingles not a spider bite. Go see your doctor/PA/Nurse practitioner now so you are not sitting in the Emergency Room for 6 hours tonight trying to figure out what it is. If it is brown recluse there is usually a necrotic area that develops after a few days no matter what you do, the local infection that is usually along for the ride is treated with antibiotics the sooner the better.
    DENNY

Go see DR even if it is shingles. The antiviral meds may shorten course if started early
    DENNY

Thanks.........I will do that.

Quote Originally Posted by boneguy View Post
    Go see DR even if it is shingles. The antiviral meds may shorten course if started early
    DENNY

WJohnson hit the nail on the head. I had literally the exact same issue. i didnt go to the doctor for about 10 days until it pain became unbearable. Only my phobia of doctors prevented me from getting the shot/ lanced. my bite was on my belly. i cut it myself and applied pressure. a "chunk" came out about as large as a big marble. followed by a large amount of bleeding.that was over 10 years ago. the scar and indentation still remain
    its better to be silent and thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt...

Well, we have NO Brown Recluse Spiders in Alaska. But, we do have this spider: Cheiracantium mildei, (Long legged sac spider IS native in AK. They are venomous, and can cause tissue destruction.

Did this happen while living in Alaska.......???

Quote Originally Posted by Carlak2fl View Post
    WJohnson hit the nail on the head. I had literally the exact same issue. i didnt go to the doctor for about 10 days until it pain became unbearable. Only my phobia of doctors prevented me from getting the shot/ lanced. my bite was on my belly. i cut it myself and applied pressure. a "chunk" came out about as large as a big marble. followed by a large amount of bleeding.that was over 10 years ago. the scar and indentation still remain

Did this happen while living in Alaska.......???
    no sir. north central FL
    its better to be silent and thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt...

Well, we have NO Brown Recluse Spiders in Alaska. But, we do have this spider: Cheiracantium mildei, (Long legged sac spider IS native in AK. They are venomous, and can cause tissue destruction.
    As others said, there may not be naturally occurring brown recluse spiders in AK, but that doesn't mean that they are not up here. I have seen one myself, so I know for a fact they can be found up here. It came up in a container of grapes from Costco a friend bought. He found it while rinsing out the grapes. He ended up keeping it as a "pet" for a while just for the novelty of it.

Yes, I understand that, however given where I live, how little human contact, and only going to town every 3 or 4 months, the odds are very thin that I have Brown Recluse spider bites. Much more likely shingles. But this has been an educational thread for myself, and I would guess a few others.

Quote Originally Posted by anchskier View Post
    As others said, there may not be naturally occurring brown recluse spiders in AK, but that doesn't mean that they are not up here. I have seen one myself, so I know for a fact they can be found up here. It came up in a container of grapes from Costco a friend bought. He found it while rinsing out the grapes. He ended up keeping it as a "pet" for a while just for the novelty of it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast