Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: More on King Candy

Default More on King Candy

It occurred to me to toss one more insight into what I've learned with the King Kandy cut plugs, actually coming from the rigging on their needlefish lures.

The cut plug and full sized herring come with a few strips of foam that go into the rigging for holding scent. All's well and good (and the scent does seem to help), but the foam strip is gone with each fish. I was searching for more to cut my own, when another thought occurred. Their needelfish are too small for the foam, so they tie in a strip of yarn. Bingo! Once the foam is gone I've been tying yarn into the rigging of the cut plug. Probably won't even mess with the foam on new ones, because the yarn stays put even after you catch a fish.

A bit more on rigging. They come rigged with what looks like 30# mono. It's been fine so far, but I'm more of a 60# leader kinda guy. I also prefer different hooks to theirs, though I haven't lost a fish yet on theirs.

I'm rerigging with the same length of 60# leader and swapping to 7/0 Owner Cutting point hooks for the lead, 5/0 of the same model for the trailer. I'm a sincere fan of those hooks, so it increases my comfort level to have them there, necessary or not.

I'm a bit fan of Owner hooks, they are sharp and strong.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    ...they are sharp and strong.
    Yeah, I haven't found anything on the market that comes close for any price. They're really worth the extra pennies per hook. Guys probably spend more on candy bars at a gas station on the way to the water than they would using Owner hooks, but they talk about them being "too expensive." Not when it comes to cleaning your fish box at the end of the day.

But DO NOT get those suckers near any of your body parts! They grab and hold onto human flesh like crazy. They're in past the barb before you know they've hits skin.

Another method for scent is cutting oil absorbent cloth (probably already on the boat) as a replacement. As for hooks, it's awfully hard to beat the Trokars.

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

The problem with cloth is the small space available in the KK, and the need for the hook to compress it up in there. I'll have to look at some and see how it works. Thanks!

When I want to fish with scent I cut those 1x1 oil absorbant pads in half, soak in herring oil and attach to my downrigger ball with a clip. Do the same when I fish my longline for halibut. Tampax is another option.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

I've been wondering about simply hanging scent from the ball when using downriggers. Glad to hear it works! Thanks.

I got tired of the scent door on the Brad's coming open, and I just super glued them together. I like that the king kandy went away from that type of design, but like you I lost those little sponges when fish hit. I'll try the yarn idea. I've been using the lunker lotion type of smelly scents recently.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Dang, there goes more of my money. At least we know these work to catch the fishermen.

Well, dang it all anyway....

My instinct about the rigging was good. We landed 4 in a couple of hours ranging up into the mid 20# range, then connected with one in the high 30# range. Nice fish, eye-popping for the rookie angler on the rod. Got it right up to the boat and the leader parted between the two hooks. Hate for that to happen on a rookies first big fish. Heck of a big, long fight and she did everything right.

There's a piece of plastic tubing on the leader between the two hooks, intended as chafing gear I'm sure. But not enough. This particular plug had only landed half a dozen fish, but it was clearly too much. Rerigging with 60# to be done tonight!

Charterboat Operator kodiakcombo's Avatar

I was so excited about this post, I ordered some, they do no work for ME. I trolled the 3 king candies and one herring, and hours later went back to herring and wham 2 kings!
    Providing trips for multilpe species for over 20 yrs
    www.kodiakcombos.com

I'll be danged! Might be because we're fishing so shallow. We have been having the opposite experience, seriously cutting into our herring bill!

BTW- Did you try scent on their little foam pad? I tried KK's own scent without luck, but Mike's herring scent has been great.

My big complaint is the light leader (30# maybe 25#?), as I said. I just took shipment of 16 of the cut plugs in assorted colors, and already rerigged them with 60#. I'm also replacing the foam pad thingy with 4 strands of yarn clipped to the same length.

I just got 3 plug cuts and a needlefish, will re-rig with #50 and different hooks. Having to get a bunch of new gear cause somebody decided they needed my $300 ice chest (and the $300 of flashers and rigged baits in it) more than I did. 👎👎
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    I just got 3 plug cuts and a needlefish, will re-rig with #50 and different hooks. Having to get a bunch of new gear cause somebody decided they needed my $300 ice chest (and the $300 of flashers and rigged baits in it) more than I did. 👎👎
    Ah man.... I HATE stuff like that. I really never want to catch someone in the act. A couple of days back someone clipped our boat trailer while we were out, peeling off the whole right taillight assembly. And kept on driving. I'm still pizzed, cuzz I'm pretty sure I know who did it. No chance he didn't realize it cuzz there was damage to his trailer too. But do you think the flake would fess up?

I finished rerigging the latest batch last night, going with the same hooks, but 60#, yarn, and new swivels. The yarn worked perfectly- three strands knotted to the leader above the first hook and clipped to length turned out perfectly. Only a single strand on the factory rigging for the needlefish, but if it's good enough for them to use yard on that one, it's gotta be good enough for the cut plug. Plan to test them today, but kinda distracted with fly fishing at the moment. But if the fish are too deep for fly fishing, the cut plugs will get a fair test!

Fished the KK green herring today in Homer and it was the only producer when fished against a whole herring and a Brads.

That's good to hear! Haven't tried the green yet, but maybe tomorrow.

Are you using scent? It's made all the difference for us so far. The stuff from King Kandy isn't working for us, but using Mike's herring scent really turn them on.

Default got one!

KK 1, Spoon 1, Herring 2, had to bump up the trolling speed a bit to avoid the pollock and hooked some kings!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    www.kodiakcombos.com

Nice fish! We're seeing about the same fish up here right now. Only fished the KK's for an hour because the day was more about trolling with fly gear, but got 2 on the KKs. Switched to flies and got two, but lost both of them to a sea lion that showed up out of nowhere and "kept us company." Aaargh. Took a break and went away for a couple of hours, and when we came back landed 2 more on flies with no sea lion to interfere.

Funny thing. They wanted black/silver in the flies, but wouldn't touch any flies with gold in them. They wanted the gold chrome in the KK and wouldn't touch a cop car. Go figure.....

One more funny thing. Picked up a red on the same silver/black fly. In 6' of water!

The KK whole herring in pearl with Procure sardine super gel trolled to where it starts to roll produced the first king, the a king fisher spoon from silver horde got bit, then a couple more kings fell to whole herring.
    www.kodiakcombos.com

That's the real test of new gear- Fish it alongside other gear.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast