Thread: Gulkana Kings?

Default Gulkana Kings?

Any sign yet? Sounds like there have been a good amount kings getting dipped in Chitina.

So nothing?

Looking like we may have a decent year according to the sonar counts.
    My child was inmate of the month at Mat-Su pre-trial Correctional facility.

Default Gulkana Kings?

Still a little early for the Gulkana. Look at past fish counts. Usually peaks at end of month.

Remember the following:

"The Gulkana tower is located approximately 9 miles upstream of the Sourdough boat launch. The fishery is downstream of the tower to the mouth at the Copper River (about 45 river miles ) On average, it takes about 5 days for a king salmon to travel from the mouth to the tower and about a day to travel from Sourdough to the tower. Travel times can vary significantly depending on conditions."

This means that the counts are nowhere near a real-time indication of fish presence where the majority of people fish. Lower water will have kings stacking a bit as well. My buddy was fishing well below the tower a few days ago and he struck out. He's been floating that stretch for decades and it's absolutely not unheard of to get into fish right now...but it was a no-go for him that day.

I would not be shocked at all to hear someone did very well in the last couple days, and this weekend should fish quite well on the lower stretches...flow looks good from a clarity standpoint...about 1200 CFS.
    "Live that the fear of death can never enter your heart. Show respect to all and grovel to none. Seek to make your life long and its purpose in the service of your people."

what fly would you suggest?
    Diamond Justice MO 70lbs
    Shut-up And Hunt

*Disclaimer*... There will be plenty of people out there who know more about this than I.

I'd run something pink or cherise, tied on a 1/0 or 2/0 with marabou or bunny. Black would be my close second...or combo with. Some of the holes are deep, so depending on what weight sink tip you have (if you have sink tip at all...you could get away without), you'll need to have a plan to get the fly deep. Fish it through the swing with an occasional twitch...be ready for a soft take.

A cone head mega-Dolly llama, or articulated hareball leech in pink and black...both are in my arsenal in water that has a slight stain.

Picture is from the web...not trying to promo anyone in particular, but the king salmon selection at Alaska Fly Fishing goods will give you some ideas. The guys at Big Rays could hook you up as well, I'd imagine.

Have fun, and enjoy Eielson!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Live that the fear of death can never enter your heart. Show respect to all and grovel to none. Seek to make your life long and its purpose in the service of your people."