Thread: Eyak Fishwheel Chinook Counts

Default Eyak Fishwheel Chinook Counts

Notice the counts in the red box. Number spikes upriver occur before spikes downriver.

What this looks like to me is that the river is plugged with fish, and that the ones in the river have to move to make room for the ones coming in.

Click on the chart for a full-size view.

The declining counts at the beginning of June would explain why it was fairly slow at the beginning of the Subsistence opener. Not that there weren't plenty of fish in the river, but that they weren't moving.

We noticed on Sunday 7th and Monday 8th hat the fish were hitting our gill net mesh pretty hard. They were off of the bank a ways for the most part, and not laying in eddies.

The raw numbers tell you the upriver site probably has a higher capture efficiency than the downriver site, for whatever reason. Not unusual for two-site capture studies. The difference in shapes suggest those efficiencies haven't been in phase. A more likely explanation than that the kings are space-limited.

Quote Originally Posted by gr8fl View Post
    Notice the counts in the red box. Number spikes upriver occur before spikes downriver.

What this looks like to me is that the river is plugged with fish, and that the ones in the river have to move to make room for the ones coming in.

Click on the chart for a full-size view.

Quote Originally Posted by siddfynch View Post
    The raw numbers tell you the upriver site probably has a higher capture efficiency than the downriver site...
    This could very well be. They've got efficiency data on their site, but I haven't taken the time to apply it to the raw numbers. Thanks!