Thread: Slow for everyone?

Default Slow for everyone?

After a nice start things seem to have slowed WAY down outside. The squash I put out a couple weeks ago seem to have barely budged. Snow peas popped up but seem stalled at a couple inches. Is it just me or does this cool weather have everyone on "hold". I'm thinking next weeks expected 70's and sunny will get things poppin! Ya think?

Big time. Same with all varieties of peas, lettuce and carrots. The grass is still advancing though. Looks like a nice stretch of weather coming--woo hoo!

I'm still ahead of where I am most years, and my Cole Crops look great.

So, no complaints. That early summer weather in May was a godsend.

Just starting to harvest my first bok choy. Lettuce and kale is about a week out.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Same here. Peas, carrots and beans all seem to be stalled. I was beginning to wonder if the potatoes were even going to sprout at all, but checked this morning and they seem to be doing pretty darned good now. On the other hand, the raspberry patch is kicking butt...tons of new canes in the last week or so.

About the same as last year this time.
    The cooler cloudy days slowed stuff way down
    Soem of the lettuce i kept in the GH an extra week is outgrowing the stuff I planted early.
    Hoping for some sun to get things growing again, got a zuc bloom but no males for pollen.

I got some squash at a bazaar that were way along, planted em and they seem to be thriving but I think I've had about 10 MALE flowers each, no females. The squash I started from seed just look stalled and here I was afraid I was starting them to early. My beans popped FINALLY. Kale and Boc Choy seem ok. I guess the good thing is I haven't seen SLUG #1 yet, tho I know they're coming. Got sumthin for you this year suckers.... Slug bait,copper tape, and a D-earth shooter....plus I'm gonna A-bomb (ammonia)yer asses....ok yes I get a little carried away

50% distilled vinegar & water in a spray bottle, petrifies the little bastages

Much of our garden slowed down last week. The green beans are pretty stagnant, as are the peas and anything we planted from seed directly into the garden during the last week of May. However the broccoli, cauliflower, potatoes and onions are all doing very well. The pumpkins are actually doing very well too. But they are tented so happily growing away. Have several blossoms on them that have opened.
    Taxidermy IS art!
    www.alaskawildliferugs.com
    Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!

Quote Originally Posted by mudbuddy View Post
    About the same as last year this time.
    The cooler cloudy days slowed stuff way down
    Soem of the lettuce i kept in the GH an extra week is outgrowing the stuff I planted early.
    Hoping for some sun to get things growing again, got a zuc bloom but no males for pollen.
    Today I got a big beautiful summer squash bloom… No male blooms…

I can almost hear those peas growing with all this free vitamin D.

Interested to see what this heat has done to the garden with no water. Hope the evac ban will be lifted from the Sockeye Fire area and some of those tender little plants will have survived. They were certainly soaked when I pulled out on Monday.

Or garden is loving the heat. With water of course. Potatoes are ready to hill, all pumpkins have male and female blossoms and one plant has a pumpkin. Radishes are ready to harvest, corn is about 18" tall now. Green beans have finally taken off. About the only thing unhappy right now is the grass. Lol
    Taxidermy IS art!

The first planting of Radishes is just about done, got some bigger than usual cherry belle's this year, excellent flavor.. 8 yr old grandson can eat his weight in radishes.. Have 2 blossoms on the Freezonian peas. vines are 3 ft tall already. Got some really good looking tomatoes in the GH, then again I got a couple plants that don't look so good. My Sweet Success cuks are finally showing some promise. I over planted on the cabbage. Think this is the year we learn how to make sour kraut.

We left for four days... and came back to a forest in the garden....

Pumpkins are doing great too. Took the plastic off of them yesterday...

Potatoes are huge and cauliflower is forming some very nice heads as well...
    Taxidermy IS art!

Hadn't checked for a while but I guess I'm on par with most folks. Hard to keep up eating the Bok Choi and Kale. Does anyone else just harvest big kale leaves and hope the plant produces more? Peas are flowered up for a week now so I know and day WHAM it'll be snow pea a GO-GO. No flowers on the beans yet so I may give them a little boost. Greenhouse is chock full of green tomatoes, with cooler nights do I need to hear it for them to ripen or just be patient. Last year I was getting red ones by now but A) I got a little later start this year and B) I can't recall if I had a little heat on at night. Good to hear everybody's stories and advice is always appreciated!!

I have red tomatoes on my Stupice and Black Krim plants.. I have been drooling over the Black Krim for a couple days now trying to make up my mind if it's ready or not… One row of peas have been in blossom over 2 weeks now, the other row only a week. Planted 2nd crop of radishes. Should start picking Broccoli. Cabbages heading up nicely. Does anyone freeZe Bok Choi ??

My daughter in law told me to freeze it w/o blanching. I stuffed freezer bags and squeezed out as much air as possible. Haven't tried it yet. I'm thinking it should be ok as long as you don't try to keep it TOO long

Quote Originally Posted by gottago View Post
    Does anyone else just harvest big kale leaves and hope the plant produces more?
    That's what we do, and the plants will keep producing new leaves all summer and fall. We eat it very regularly, and have literally dug the last of it out of the snow before and it's been just fine. If there is one plant that will survive the apocalypse, it is kale. We just pull 2-3 leaves off each plant and they keep right on growing.

We do that with lettuce and spinach as well.

Thanks Brian!!

Quote Originally Posted by gottago View Post
    My daughter in law told me to freeze it w/o blanching. I stuffed freezer bags and squeezed out as much air as possible. Haven't tried it yet. I'm thinking it should be ok as long as you don't try to keep it TOO long
    I'll give that a try, thanks.