Thread: New year, new cell phone at Chitina thread... GCI???

Default New year, new cell phone at Chitina thread... GCI???

So I switched from ACS 3G where I got great service at the bridge in Chitina to 4G with GCI. For those of you that have 4G with GCI, how is the cell service down there. Also, feel free to post what carrier you do have, and how the service is. I'm hoping that GCI got better down there since last year. From what I heard it wasn't very good.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerod View Post
    So I switched from ACS 3G where I got great service at the bridge in Chitina to 4G with GCI. For those of you that have 4G with GCI, how is the cell service down there. Also, feel free to post what carrier you do have, and how the service is. I'm hoping that GCI got better down there since last year. From what I heard it wasn't very good.
    I dumped AT&T finally for GCI. Had good voice and internet at the bridge and in town. Did not have either at my campspot in the campground because I was up against the west ridge. Across the campground, though, in the middle area, I had both.

Really enjoying my CAT Android after being on a 3G iPhone. The mobile WiFi hotspot has also allowed me to dump my ACS home internet. I am paying much less for much more.

Iast year I also had ACS ...I could go on forum from inside my tent...ACS sold out to GCI. ..I think they may have some of there towers. ..I have gci now ...it's pretty much as gr8fl says...doesn't work every where ...but the cool thing is I can make phone calls from some places...that I could not last year

Good to know, thank you gentlemen.

I have AT&T and it did not work around the bridge or around chitina - I was there the last two days.

Quote Originally Posted by fatbacks View Post
    I have AT&T and it did not work around the bridge or around chitina - I was there the last two days.
    AT&T has never had coverage over there for me. You have to drive halfway to Kenney Lake to the pullout at the top of that long hill to get coverage. That's why I got rid of them.

I've even seen a man making a call on the backside of Salmon Point right up against the cliff. He had Copper Valley Telecom, though.

I had great coverage at the boat launch on the river. When it was crowded in the campground I couldn't get service, but once it cleared out on Sunday I was able to make calls and get e-mails. Decent coverage, but not as good as ACS 3G was.

Had 4G and 4 bars at salmon point, Verizon for me.

I had great coverage at the boat launch on the river. When it was crowded in the campground I couldn't get service, but once it cleared out on Sunday I was able to make calls and get e-mails. Decent coverage, but not as good as ACS 3G was.
    Thanks. ..very interesting. ..i went to Chitina twice this month first time it worked a lot better than the second time