Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Russian River Updates

Default Russian River Updates

Well with the opener a few days away someone had to start a thread any one head down that way, see anything? Last year the opener was pretty good.
    Post from the private Journal Below...
    Bruce visited the Russian River on Saturday doing a bit of preseason scouting. Water conditions are beautiful, up a bit above normal. A couple of pack rafters were taking a trip down the Russian....good to do it NOW and not when a thousand sharp hooks are flying.
    On a somewhat discouraging note, he didn't see any reds in the Russian clearwater but only went as far as the mouth (1st pic) and didn't check the Sanctuary or below. Last year at this time the river was plugged with fish. A few days can and do make a difference but we are getting close to the opener June 11. Hmmm. I'll be checking before the opening bell too.

Anyone hear of anything different?

ADFG weir report says 135 past counter so far

Received a similar report from a co-worker. He conducted a recon with some friends this past weekend. They walked the "whole" river and didn't see any fish between the upper stretch and the cleaning tables at the confluence. He claimed the water was quite high as well.

My partner backed out on my but I think I'm going to run up with the family if nothing else for the opener, haven't missed one in several years, don't see any reason to miss this one. I'll try and get a real time update posted ASAP.

I'm here at campground right now. River is up, not much to be seen in the way of fish. Light rain and breezy. Were going to float skilak to bings today (more for fun than fishing). Saw some fish rolling at bings yesterday. Not much going on at the Russian so far. We'll see....

Keep the updates coming. I appreciate them!

Yes thanks guys...

Thought the water levels were going to be lower this spring but am looking to wet a line i will be heading down soon. looking forward to fishing.

Nothing yet! No reports from the opening bell?

Sent while partying
    I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
    but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

I've fished the opener the last 5 years... there was more people this morning than I think I've ever seen on the Russian... It was unreal.

Fishing was decent. Didn't see a lot of fish moving, just had to scout them out and target stranglers. The "popular" pools were especially popular this morning with shoulder to shoulder line ups. It didn't thin out like it usually does in the wee morning hours. We left at 7am or so, and there was still a line waiting to get in. The parking lots were all full just after midnight, from what the guys at the gate said.

I think I'll avoid that zoo for a while. I got it out of my system for a week or so.

Went right in at 530 pm today, fished below Red Salmon, limited and out the gate by 7pm, no problems and I'm just a decent fisherman with a spinning reel, no expert here.

bear alert! There was a black cub on the mountainside of the upper Russian river. The momma was nowhere to be seen but I would think she's close by her cub.

Limited out this afternoon after tinkering with the hook selection

Note to self: Less is more when fishing the low waters of the Russian side.

Fish moving up in twos. Be patient and you will get your limit.

No new updates? Mostly interested in an update on the crowds...

Hope to post an update Tuesday night!

Dad went down on Monday fish were starting to stack up, heard the fires are making it a little rough down there. Heard a rumor they were considering shutting down the Russian river anyone hear anything. Called troopers and fish and game they said they were not sure could not get through to forestry dept.

Just got back from the Russian River campground. Fishing was slow up by the falls yesterday (Tuesday the 16th). There were a few here and there, but it was by no means consistent. Heard better things about the lower stretches of the Russian last night, and sounded decent this morning. Fire is right about Sackett's and had flared back up when we passed by at 2:30pm. Flames were twice the height of the trees and the helos were hitting it hard with water drops. Cooper Creek campground was closed and evacuated.

Thanks for the update Brian M. We may be heading down on Saturday and depending on the fire, we'll be evacuating a cabin or fishing the Russian.

I fished Tuesday night & Wednesday night. Did really well on Tuesday below pink salmon, limited out with my proxy as well. Fished the same spot last night and not as many fish, but still limited out. There were alot of people fishing right above the boundary line and saw alot of fish hooked up. The smoke is not bad at all, its worse on the drive south by Summit Lake. If you have plans to head to the Russian, I would still go.
    Tight Lines.

thanks russ! I'll be there this weekend

Thanks for the updates! I was lucky enough to book a campsite back in December for this weekend, so hoping that it stays open. Hopefully it rains tomorrow like forecast and it helps out with all the fires down there.

Upper Russian was dead slow yesterday afternoon. The wall of fisherman at the normal fishing holes below the grayling parking lot kept the fish down low. Fishing was a lot better below the ferry. I had a chance to test my Lamson konic on the fast kenai waters and I am impressed and would recommended it for beginners what want a good reel that doesn't break the bank.

Quote Originally Posted by SalmonSlut View Post
    ....The wall of fisherman at the normal fishing holes.....
    A true Alaskan wilderness experience....!!!
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast