Thread: ATV Trails North East of Talkeetna

Cool ATV Trails North East of Talkeetna

Was wondering if anyone knows of any trails that are north of Talkeetna that stretch over to or by Disappointment creek? We have some land just north east of Talkeetna and we would like to check it out. We will be up there next week for about 10 days but we only rented ATVs for a day to go on out to the land.

I checked out the Talkeetna River Trail which runs right through the property but I don't know where to access it at on the other side of the river or where to cross the river at that would be safe.

Any advice, maps, or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    John

I have heard a lot of rumors or talk that Alaskans really like their privacy and don't take kindly to outsiders from the lower 48. Which I can somewhat relate to. Grew up in Michigan and we don't just give out information so people can come trekking across our land. We aren't at looking to put up no trespassing signs or anything like that. Just want to see it. Hang out for a day and then head on back. Nothing too major. The BLM said it can be accessed via ATV though couldn't recall what way they came from back in 07 when the property was surveyed. Our overall goal is to build a nice cabin out on the property for when we retire in a few years when we can enjoy it more. After being in the Navy for over 20 years we want our alone time.

Thanks
    John

Maybe because no one knows where to start? Searching Clear Creek on this forum: http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ighlight=clear
    That access is along the railroad tracks crossing the noted narrow bridge adjacent to the tracks. Be more specific about where you are trying to get. Disappointment is past Clear, on the south side there are different trails but you likely won't cross the Talkeetna without a bridge.

The property we bought sits in the Disappointment creek RRCS on Cache Lake.

To the best of my knowledge there is not an established trail to Cache Lake in the summer. Cancel the wheelers and charter a float plane.

Quote Originally Posted by talkeetnakid View Post
    To the best of my knowledge there is not an established trail to Cache Lake in the summer. Cancel the wheelers and charter a float plane.
    I have no idea if there is a trail or not, but if there is, you aren't likely to be able to get there on an ATV, check out the property, and return to Talkeetna in one day. It's 17 miles as the crow flies and if a trail exists, it's likely to be twice that distance. Few trails up here are maintained and it will certainly have bad spots and water (not counting the Talkeetna River). I'd agree with talkeetnakid, you should charter a float plane to visit your property.

Well we made it to Talkeetna with no issues. We did encounter a lot of really nice and helpful people. However, we did not make it to the property. I wish we had.

But it turned out the ATV would have worked if the bridge crossing was about 4 inches wider. They just weren't going to make it across the bridge. Which I am glad we found that out before renting them. We did look into a float plane, but at a cost of almost 1200 for four people that was just not going to happen. So we did come up with an alternative idea for next summer. Taking a boat up the Talkeetna river do where Disappointment creek is and hiking the rest of the way. We haven't ironed out all the details yet but I think that would be worth it. Plan for a three day trip. One day to get there, a day to hang out and just take it all in, and a day to return. This time there will only be three of us. Oldest son wasn't fond of Alaska but my youngest loves it.

We have done backpacking/hiking in the Rockies and the Appalachians and we have most of the gear needed for a off the grid type trek.

Does anyone have any suggestions that are unique to Alaska and the Talkeetna mountains?

Thanks
    John
    Last edited by jsheeh9427; 11-25-2015 at 11:52. Reason: spelling

John,

Your boat plan may be viable if you can hire a boat to take you up there. If so I would suggest launching from Talkeetna as early as you can. The hike up to Cache Lake involves 1500' elevation gain, the first part being the steepest. Looking on Google Earth, there don't appear to be any trails to get you out of the valley and up on top. You'll have to bushwhack your way up. It's hard to tell from the imagery if you'll be dealing with much alder growth but if you do you should plan on making 1/2 mile per hour tops through alder.

Cache Lake looks to be about 17 nautical miles from Talkeetna. It seems you ought to be able to get affordable flights from Talkeetna. Might be worth spending a little more money to get more time on the property rather than spending that time learning where all the heavy brush is.

http://www.trekalaska.com/alaska-hik...g-bushwhacking

Camped and fished on the confluence of Dissapointment Creek and Talkeetna River for 5 days 8 years or so ago. Beautiful area at the start of the canyon that takes awhile to get adjusted to the water noise. Be prepared for lots of bear, we were constantly using sign language to shoo them on there way as they couldn't hear over the water either. No exaggeration on the heavy bear population.