Thread: Advice please

Default Advice please

Hello all,

I will be in Anchorage, AK from the 14th of June to the 3rd of July and am looking for some guidance on the best way to get out on the water and catch some fish(hopefully take some home for the freezer). I am an active duty Navy LT and will be in Anchorage participating in an exercise so day to day schedule is TBD. Because I don't know what my days off will be I don't want to book a charter and then not be available. I guess my question is, what is the best way for me go fishing if I only have short notice availability(a day or two heads up).

Thanks in advance.

Marc

To take back some fish given your dilemma, I'd consider fishing Ship Creek for Kings and Russian River for red salmon. Kings have been showing fairly strong and if you took a decent stout rod, tied on any color #6 vibrax spinner and fished a few days for a few hours around high tide (best is when tide is starting to move out but that only lasts for about 45 minutes. I bet you hook up at least a few times. Seen pics of kings up to 45 pound from the "ditch" this year. Ok, its downtown Anchorage in often waste deep mud. But the king salmon doesn't know that. Nice fish.

The Russian River open June 11 for red salmon. The definition of combat fishing.

Neither Ship or Russian River are "Alaskan Experiences" but they can produce fish.

Finally I know a few military folks that have been getting into kayak fishing. They might be able to take ya out if they are going. Perfect platform for what you describe. Throw it into the back of a pick up and you can fish pretty much any fish everyone is fishing other than ling cod on your own schedule.

You can rent kayaks at Alaska Raft and Kayak but with enough notice, we typically find a way to get folks out. Its not really for the complete rookie, but if you have boating skills and general understanding of wind and currents you will be ok. (my apologies, I know you said you were Navy but it has to be said).

I live in Anchorage and make day trips as far as Homer (450 miles round trip). So my website focuses on fishing that can typically be done from Anchorage. http://www.AlaskaKayakFisher.com

Finally, just out of curiosity, are you by chance friends with a Jeff S.? I ask becasue I just got an message from him asking about possibly setting up a military person for fishing up here. At any rate, let us know if we can help.

Head down the highway and hit Bird Creek on the tides also, it's beginning to produce some fish and is handy to Anchorage.

Quote Originally Posted by Rav'n Mainiac View Post
    Head down the highway and hit Bird Creek on the tides also, it's beginning to produce some fish and is handy to Anchorage.
    Silvers already?

Sent while partying
    I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
    but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

Thanks for all the great suggestions. At least I have a starting point now!