Thread: Only for you oldies. (Knee supports)

Talking Only for you oldies. (Knee supports)

I am getting ready for the Haul Road for caribou and sheep hunting. Part of that is working construction (at 56) and getting into shape (or out of in this case). So now I have a knee that is bumm and am wondering what is the best knee support out there. I know a lot of sheep and goat hunters wear them.

So what is the best support. (I will see a doctor after the season.)

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Dave, if you get any responses, be sure to forward the information to danthedewman1. I almost got him a walker for his birthday, but a box of rusty traps and some dated foods from the pantry just seemed funnier.

Talking Walker

I was thinking of a walker but could not find one that the crampons would attach too.

My daughter has knee problems from basketball. Our doctor told her it depends on whether the pain in the knee comes just from general walking or from twisting/flexing. If it's from the compression of walking then any good tight wrap will help control the knee. If it's from twisting and flexing then look for braces with the metal brackets on the side.

There are some good braces out there, made of rubber foam. Some are designed like a tube through which you insert your leg into, up to the knee. There is a hole in front, and this hole goes right over the kneecap. These are made small, medium, large, and extra large in size, and have velcro bands, one above and another below the knee. The bands are used to tighten the brace around the leg. This design makes the leg more rigid to avoid bending it too much at the knee.

There are other braces that are worn over the knee, but are not like a tube. These are worn as follows: separate the velcro straps from each other, place the open brace over the knee (hole in front of the kneecap), stretch and connect to each other the foam straps. The bands connect on the back of the leg, one pair above the knee, and the other below the knee (right on the leg calf). This brace allow you more close/open leg movement.

I have found that the tube-type brace helps my knee better than the other one, since my problem relates more to bending the leg than twisting it. I have been recovering from a work-related knee injury for two weeks now. I have no problems walking on flat ground, but have to be extremely careful walking on uneven or rocky terrain. I can walk up-steps without any problem, but have to take care walking down, since it's a little painful to put my whole body weight on the knee when I am moving the the good leg to the next step and ahead of the bad knee.

If your problem is similar to mine, a walking cane in addition to a brace may help. Buy an adjustable aluminum walking cane that is strong enough to support your weight. If your problem is a combination of twisting/bending the leg (like mine), the cane (or crutch) will help for the time being, but physical therapy has helped me the most so far.

It takes a few weeks, if no months, to fully recover. I am 57, and just walked all over the shores of the Copper River last week. I just don't take pain killer, and this allow me to feel when I am pushing it a little.

The problem with braces such as the ones I mentioned is that the leg sweats quite a lot under it, and grows and bacteria makes it each. I would clean the brace twice per day with Purell tissue, and clean my leg too. I could only stand the thing for about a week, but it helped with the leg flexing (on the way down steps).

A physical therapist can tell you what types of exercise you will need to do to strengthen the muscles around the knee, but only after a doctor has written the problem on a prescription. I went through 3 therapy sessions, and now exercise at home. In my specific case it is a stationary bike, and squats on an incline machine (no weight on them). The wrong exercise can create lots of problems for you, so only follow the directions of a doctor.

Default Knee braces

Dave,
    Kay9cop is right. I've dealt with a bad wheel for 25 yrs or so. However one the best things I've found to help with my knee has been moderate strength training. leg extensions, hack squats, lunges, etc....of course these have to be worked into very carefully. I use a neopreme with composit reinforced sides. It works great when I need it. I always carry it in my pack but only wear it when my knee starts to bother me. I think to wear it all the time builds a false sense of security. It also doesn't allow the muscles and tendons to do their job properly, but I'm sure you already know that.
    Good luck and Good hunting.
    Sarge
    RIDE TALL, SHOOT STRAIGHT AND ALWAYS TELL THE TRUTH

Default Ace

I think I am going to pick up a couple Ace's with side support. The knee is much better. In the past 2 days I carried in 48 sheets of 1/2" OSB, glued and nailed it down to a floor. I do feel it. At 56 I probably should not be doing construction for the summer. But draw permits are out soon and I need money to play with this fall.

Thanks for all the help!