Thread: Bear Baiting REGULATION Change......??? ref. powerlines

Default Bear Baiting REGULATION Change......??? ref. powerlines

Should powerlines be considered trails.......Should bait stations be 1/4 mile off of powerlines....???

I've asked this question before and I was told it's better to be safe than sorry. Does it now now specifically say powerlines? I know it specifically states the railroad and maintained trails.

Ok, I'll bite. NO! Not at face value unless the specific powerline meets the criteria of a "publicly maintained road or trail". The Regulations (page 26) state "publicly maintained roads and trails, and the AK RR". The sentence/regulation is very specific, and for a good reason. Arguably publicly maintained equates to government maintenance, and those roads/trails maintenance programs are budgeted. Several years back a forum member was cited as being too close to a power line that we could not determine to fall into the regs as described above. We told him to fight it, he chose not to. Thus, AST now has on public record that they won a case that was not inclusive of a "publicly maintained" road, or "publicly maintained" trail. If what I am saying is accurate, then that is too bad he did not fight.
    The same could/would/should be said for any other non-publicly maintained road or trails such as logging roads, et al. No budget, no public maintenance, thus, there should be no restriction as related to the current regulation, UNLESS otherwise restricted by another regulation.
    I would argue the same thing for "dwellings" that do not meet the intent of the regulation. The regulation states "permanent dwelling including seasonally occupied cabins"... It seems obvious that the intent of the regulation is to protect people by the way it is written, not the dwellings. "Permanent" relates to dwelling (by people) full time, not a "permanent" structure. The difference is supported such that the regulation also mentions "seasonally occupied". An abandoned structure is not "dwelled" in, therefore, does not seem to meet the criteria of the regulation.
    If the regulators did not want me/you to bait within one mile of any structure, they should have written the regulation in that vein.
    ARR

My question has to do with: Should a change be added stating: No bait stations with-in 1/4 mile of any powerline.

Oh, sorry, I did not get that. My answer is still NO! Keep in mind that the current restriction is not limited to trails, but specifically to Publicly maintained trails. If a restriction needs to be made in a specific area due to some specific hazard, then let's talk. But in general, no, I am no amenable to the change. Power lines often run well away from Publicly maintained roads and trails as well as dwellings. I am not seeing the risk of baiting off of powerlines. Maybe I am missing a significant hazard or obvious concern, and would be interested in hearing credible evidence if so. But at face value, nope, I am not interested in adding further restrictions. They are too general and easy to misinterpret now, I don't see the added value.
    As it is, powerlines are NOT (normally) Publicly maintained accesses.
    ARR

Well, I am not a lineman, and I don't know any lineman, so if sportsman want to attach their bait barrels to the utility poles, fine with me. I would guess that lineman generally have a pair of pliers or some tools for defense.

If that is an argument you want to debate, well, I'm out. That'd be like saying baiting should be restricted from any shoreline because their may be fisherman. And they could use their poles, or fish hook pliers for defense. Nope, I'm done w/ this inane discussion. Looks like you caught another sucker. You win the round.
    ARR