Thread: Mower Advice

Default Mower Advice

Ok I know this sounds absurd, but I need a riding mower out at the cabin. I have about an acre of lawn on an incline to the dock. The lawn is uneven with no ruts or rocks to contend. Any thoughts on what manufacture or type rider might work best. I'm thinking all wheel drive but really would like your advice. Can't afford a zero turn and would really like to keep the cost to a minimum. Here's pic

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just a question- have you considered one of the mowing decks to pull behind an atv?

I've got a lower end John Deere now. It replaced an upper end Craftsman. Night and day difference for about the same kind of money. I would highly recommend a Deere. Friends of mine have one they leave at a cabin. They also have a much steeper hill than yours that they keep mowed. They just run a set of tire chains all summer. They don't tear up the lawn. No need to go to the expense of a 4x4 for just that reason unless you are wanting to do more than just mow the lawn with it.

Looks like you need to hire a groundskeeper.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

I keep a husqvarna YTH22V46 at my cabin to take care of about 2.5 acres that I mow with hills and terrain much more challenging than your picture. I also use it for light work around the place. Zero turns are horrible for hills so I recommend avoiding them. Prior to getting the husqvarna I used a weedeater to do the job. The tractor saves me 4-5 hours of time each week so this was well worth the investment. I suggest you research which mowers works well for hilly terrain. John Deere and Husqvarna lists the ones they recommend for hills verses flat terrain but you have to look for this info. The people at home depot or lowes can only tell you one is green and the other is orange so you'll need to do the research yourself.

in the state seperated from the lower 48 by Canada

Kubota tractor with an assortment of attachments.

Thanks all. No I haven't looked at a mower deck for the ATV. I think the rider might be a little easier to manage. Hilarious, Home Depot and Lowes makes me nuts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Craigs list, lot of used mowers at times, beat that one up first on your new lawn .Then move up to something newer. I like zero turns, way faster and more stable, engine behind you, I bought husky, 46 in.. new 2200.00,,, 1000.00 cheaper than a deer.I love my John Deere,s but basically same machine, paying for that name, I own a 350 bucket/ dozer and pay dearly for parts because of that name . I don't care for the ATV thing, I think somebody looking for a excuse to own nice Atv, I guess they have there purpose, but gotta jump off, set the height up down so forth , Cabin style lawn is a pain . Anyways can't feel the lawn underneath, the bumps and dips. Find a 500.00 dollar one on Craigs, Change the blade and the spark plug and turn the kids loose

I have a Deere X 300 with a 42in deck and love it.

I have a simplicity legecy 2 wheel drive with a 48 inch deck. I have hills, uneven ground, and even wet areas. I have had no issues with it over the last 15 years.
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science"

Edwin Hubble