Thread: Upper Chena?

Default Upper Chena?

Lower River looks low. How's water and fishing on upper? Mishore where are the fish in early June?

KMac,

Havent been yet (unfortunately...gimme a couple weeks), but this is where I learned to fly fish in the early 90's. I'll say this based on a ton of experience but nothing first hand/recent.

It should be full-on anywhere along the road. Flows are fantastic and have been for a good while. Clarity will be excellent. Hot weather earlier will have the water temp right, and there is nothing keeping the fish from migrating all the way up to their high summer haunts. If it were me, I'd be fishing above mile 40, anywhere you like!
    "Live that the fear of death can never enter your heart. Show respect to all and grovel to none. Seek to make your life long and its purpose in the service of your people."

Oh yeah...and post pics so I can live vicariously...
    "Live that the fear of death can never enter your heart. Show respect to all and grovel to none. Seek to make your life long and its purpose in the service of your people."

Quote Originally Posted by AF EOD View Post
    Oh yeah...and post pics so I can live vicariously...
    Will do...I live on 8.5 mile CHSR and was rushing for a plan C trip for a couple guys and hadn't been up there yet. Now I gotta leave town for a week, but when I return it's on for the rest of the summer. Definitely a high mileage fan myself! Not much better on a hot sunny day up there.

We're basically in where-there's-water-there's-fish conditions. The river's changed shape a bunch since last year (all that high water!) and your favorite hole might be gone, but there are plenty of new holes to try out. Had an excellent, excellent day yesterday quite far up. And as EOD said, the clarity is excellent - lots of opportunities for sight-fishing. (A few spots that used to be a trivial wade have gotten deeper - watch your feet).
    Mushing Tech: squeezing the romance out of dog mushing one post at a time

Our home water has indeed changed. Great fishng though. Spent the day up there yesterday and had a good time. Not much for hatches so a person had to work for the fish, just the way I like it. A lot of fast traffic on the road though so please be careful.

Just curious, have the fish been running smaller on the upper Chena this year than they were, say, 5 years ago? It kind of seems like that to me fishing around mile 36, but maybe the hot weather and low water just has the big ones concentrated upstream more than usual.
    Jason
    http://www.troutnut.com -- Fly fishing photos & insect hatch encyclopedia.
    http://www.daltoncorridormap.com -- Exact 5-mile Haul Road corridor boundary for GPS & Google Earth

I was up there two weeks ago but higher and caught the fattest grayling I've seen maybe ever in 30 years of serious fishing. That includes both Clearwaters. Caught a couple other nice ones too so I'd say it's pretty normal if not occasionally surprisingly great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Right, I've also been catching larger fish than usual. Some real beasts in places I did not expect it. But you really need to stay above the second bridge to find good fish right now, I think. Leave the middle river to tourists.
    Mushing Tech: squeezing the romance out of dog mushing one post at a time

Fishing has been nothing short of incredible in the upper stretches, both size and numbers. To add a delicious twist to the situation, kings are showing up in decent numbers at 40 mile and well beyond. Yesterday we parked ourselves below a group of kings toward the end of the beat we were working and had an absolute blast catching the grayling that were in tow. This was my third trip in 10 days and it has fished very, very well each time. Was going to go to DCW but glad I didn't... It has reminded me of the way it used to fish in my younger days.

Default Here's one...

One of many caught yesterday...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  

Kings up there already?

Quote Originally Posted by KMac View Post
    Kings up there already?

I said the same thing when I saw them. The counter shows several kings nosing through the project in the end of June, so it stands to reason. Still, I was pleasantly surprised. There were a decent amount, too. My guess is about 20 kings seen on the 1.5 mile stretch we worked.

Still taking dries or nose down?

With all the wind/rain, we didn't even tie on any dry flies, and after seeing the first kings, we had a pattern that was rock solid. There was still surface activity everywhere we went. Could not see what exactly they were munching on, though.

Quote Originally Posted by AF EOD View Post
    we had a pattern that was rock solid.
    Note the globug in lip
    "The North wind is cold no matter what direction it's blowing"

Quote Originally Posted by DannerAK View Post
    Note the globug in lip
    Illiamna Pinkie, and this little fella...have fun.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  

I bet they would take some large blue dunns.
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com