Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What is it with people and hunting ethics in AK?

Default What is it with people and hunting ethics in AK?

So this is a bit late but I had a black bear hunt this spring. We chose to fly across K-bay instead of take a water taxi etc. We flew in and spotted a bear from the Air and went about setting up camp in an area that we felt wouldnt give us away and where we could access him the next day when we could shoot. We watched the bear all day. Probably about 12 hours worth minus his nap when we couldnt see him for a bit. Around 9pm at night a group that had used a water taxi and hiked in on us showed up. They were rude, one guy especially. Initially they tried to setup camp right in the area we had our glassing stuff laid out. We told them we were watching a bear but flew in. They proceed to move to the area the bear had worked and shot him about 45 minutes later. Maybe its just me but I could not for the life of me figure out how people can be so rude and just intrude on an area someone is already staked out. I know its public land but this has happened to me now on several bear hunts and even using an area that is more remote I cant seem to escape these people.

Guess Im just frustrated. Been trying to successfully hunt bears for 3 years now and I keep having people problems.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

Very unfortunate. There are me-first people like that all over these days. They were told they were special when they were children, and they still believe it as adults.... and screw anybody else.

Sorry to hear. Theres plenty of room out there and definitely rude to camp right next to somebody. Over the last few years ive noticed hunting seems to becoming increasingly competitive for the same or fewer numbers of animals. Next time dont let anyone know if you see a bear and maybe they wouldnt have spotted it. Sometimes you have to out think other hunters and not just the animals.

I thought about not saying we had spotted a bear but then before I could lie the truth came out. It crossed my mind that maybe just maybe if I told them we were hunting the area and scouting out the bear we had been watching all day they would be polite and let us do our thing. I was wrong again. It doesnt occur to me to be rude I guess. If I walked up on someone hunting or stalking an animal I would just watch or go to another spot since I usually pick a backup knowing how popular hunting is here.

Unfortunately common courtesy, ethics, common sense and respect for your fellow man are for the most part gone and replaced by those that believe themselves to be entitled to everything from a pay check from the govt to free cell phones and your bear. Legally I suppose they can do that but ethically they have stepped over the line. It is becoming more and more difficult to get away low lifes. It's even worse when you spend a bunch of money to get away from them and they show up anyhow. I DO feel your pain.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Sayak hit the nail on the head!!! The "everyone gets a participation trophy, even if they suck" generation has created a generation of (ahem) adults that thinks the world is theirs, and they don't need to work for success or earn their own way....it's all about them, and them only.

Baby boomers born to money were the start and the last third of the boomers followed Spock with their kids. We made it so folks need not earn respect or title but can be born to it. It will not get better untill restart is hit and program changes made.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

I don't think it's necessarily equivalent to generational issues (elderly live off government "hand outs" far more than the younger generation so be careful where fingers are pointed)... I've met a-holes in the field who were older than dirt and a-holes in the field who were barely legal to drive. Same can be said about some of the nicest people I've met.

I'd definitely not volunteer info about spitting game in the future on the off chance it is one of those a-holes you are talking to.

Are you referencing Social Security......??? Or some other program.......???

Quote Originally Posted by TeeterMan View Post
    (elderly live off government "hand outs" far more than the younger generation so be careful where fingers are pointed)...

I don't know any old folk living off handouts but I'm sure they are out there.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    Very unfortunate. There are me-first people like that all over these days. They were told they were special when they were children, and they still believe it as adults.... and screw anybody else.
    100 % agree !.....and what they are telling their children ? !.....had bad run in's eon's ago on Kodiak and the time's ?,... they are only a getting worse !....too much I-pad and not enough hard work, imo......

It is a pet "Outrage" of mine that in 1956 I got my Social Security "INSURANCE" card, and for 50+ years made my "INSURANCE" payments. But now they call it an "ENTITLEMENT" and a Government Handout.

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    I don't know any old folk living off handouts but I'm sure they are out there.

Like Alaska has a monopoly on a-holes, every state has them:-P
    "Mountains are not fair or unfair, they are just dangerous" ~ Reinhold Messner

Quote Originally Posted by 33outdoorsman View Post
    ...Next time dont let anyone know if you see a bear and maybe they wouldnt have spotted it...
    I surely wouldn't have said that I had seen a bear, (that wouldn't be considered as being rude by not mentioning it, even if they asked) same with fishing, nope...no bites, no rollers, nothing to see here...
    "Grin and Bear It"

Quote Originally Posted by ramhunter View Post
    Like Alaska has a monopoly on a-holes, every state has them:-P

We definitely don't. Just seem to run into them more often while hunting and fishing here.

I have a question, did you see or talk to the other hunters that shot this bear after it happened?

What a bummer. I certainly would have moved on if I were them.
    I agree with the majority in that it comes from how they were raised.
    I sure hope at some point Karma catches up with them.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Quote Originally Posted by tbone131 View Post
    I have a question, did you see or talk to the other hunters that shot this bear after it happened?

I did not. After they shot it they set up camp about 600 yards from us. We could see their camp but made no attempt at talking to them again since they were so rude the first time. Figured we would save ourselves a headache.

Quote Originally Posted by c6 batmobile View Post
    I did not. After they shot it they set up camp about 600 yards from us. We could see their camp but made no attempt at talking to them again since they were so rude the first time. Figured we would save ourselves a headache.
    Yeah smart move. This has happened to me and my father a time or two. Very frustrating indeed. Sounds like you did the right thing.

Sorry to hear that chief it can be tough out there. Question though, if they were able to kill him that easily, why didn't you go get him much earlier?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast