Thread: KRSA's 16 Myths of Cook Inlet Salmon Managment...

Default KRSA's 16 Myths of Cook Inlet Salmon Managment...

Just found this:

http://www.krsa.com/blog/krsa-fish-b...ry-management/

I will not comment, except to quote one very ridiculous claim which jumped out at me as I skimmed this garbage, and pretty much sums up just how stupid this whole piece is:

"While we can hypothesize mechanisms for biological impact, all available evidence indicates that the net effects on Kenai salmon abundance or productivity of all current in-river concerns are so marginal as to not be measurable. In fact, the net biological impact of all in-river factors incidental to the actual harvest of Kenai kings is very likely much less than the undocumented incidental drop-out mortality of late run Kenai kings in the east set side gillnet fishery."

I just read this and would love to debate the authors -whom I assume work for a marketing/PR firm and are helping portray KRSA as a victim of commercial fisherman attacks. They got hurt on the Robert Ruffner issue and now are trying to divert the debate to something else - just a good tactic to try and make commercial fisherman the goat while they hide behind their PR firm whitewash. It is a good tactic to have the fight shift to commercial vs sport when the real issue is a lack of ethics in their own organization. So lets use this to point out their lack of ethics and not get into the details of this article which is what they want. Do not take the bait smithtb.

Yeah, no plan to get into the weeds on this stuff. You are right Nerka.

I do think it's interesting that their first statement is that all of the UCI fisheries are important - something that their core clearly does not believe. Sounds like they are trying to keeps the moderates in their camp happy after some difficult-to-explain shenanigans and some really bad press.

It was also posted on another popular PNW fishing BB: http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/f...tml#Post931524

No relies there either.

I found the piece rather amusing. I highly doubt it was written by a PR firm. No professional PR person would write this stuff.

For example: 16 Myths?? YGBKM! Does anyone actually believe there are 16 myths associated with Kenai Rv fish management? 3 to 5 maybe, but 16 is beyond reason. If they wanted to make a point, they should have narrowed that list to no more than six. Also, who is going to read thru eight pages of dense explanation about arcane details of fish management, habitat problems, allocation, and set-net/PU/sport fishing issues? I couldn't get through it without two cups of coffee, and I know something about these issues. So who is the audience? What is the purpose? What are they trying to accomplish? It isn't clear. A good PR firm would have thought thru those details before they put pen to paper.

So in my view, it's amateurish, and not well thought out.

Fair points cohoangler. I know they have a PR firm and have used them in the past but this is kind of silly. I assume this is going to people who use to support them and do not anymore and they are trying to get them back. Also, it does try to divert the discussion away from them if people take the bait.

I think that about everything we need to know about that blog post is explained by the last sentence.

Comments are closed.

Quote Originally Posted by HikerDan View Post
    I think that about everything we need to know about that blog post is explained by the last sentence.
    Yeah that's always made me laugh. Some blog. Also funny to post a disagreeing comment on their FB page and see how quickly you get blocked.

Just a question, can you refute 16 myths with 16 myths? I need to ponder that one for awhile.

Also, if you state the same myth twice and refute it twice with a myth does it count as 16 or 15?

Quote Originally Posted by Nerka View Post
    Just a question, can you refute 16 myths with 16 myths? I need to ponder that one for awhile.

Also, if you state the same myth twice and refute it twice with a myth does it count as 16 or 15?
    I almost named the thread "16 myths of 16 myths of Cook Inlet Salmon Management".

A wise man once said there are three sides to every story. Your side, my side, and the truth.

C'mon guys, I don't think they were necessarily ALL myths.

But there were a few whoppers in there.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Quote Originally Posted by fishNphysician View Post
    C'mon guys, I don't think they were necessarily ALL myths.

But there were a few whoppers in there.
    So if you make up a myth and then refute it does that count? They have made up a few in the 16. Also, I found it interesting they support the Board of Fish and reject Mag/stevens implications. Yet they appear to support the set net ban and not the Board of Fish. If they do not support the set net ban then lets hear it from their representatives on this forum. I bet it will be silent. Kevin Delany do you support the ban, Bfish do you support the ban, Ricky Gease do you support the ban, Mark Hamilton do you support the ban, Lisa Murcowski husband do you support the ban, Alaska Airline do you support the ban since you give lots of money to the classic, Alaska Federal Credit Union President Bill Eckhardt do you support the ban, and any other director of KRSA want to answer the question. Do any of you have the courage to speak up for or against?