Thread: Deshka Landing to Deshka River

Default Deshka Landing to Deshka River

Would anyone be willing to show me the ropes at DL? Looking for local knowledge of the water and dos and don'ts while fishing, not fishing tips. I've got my own boat and will be more than happy to follow someone or take them along as a passenger.

Quote Originally Posted by Boats&Bows View Post
    Would anyone be willing to show me the ropes at DL? Looking for local knowledge of the water and dos and don'ts while fishing, not fishing tips. I've got my own boat and will be more than happy to follow someone or take them along as a passenger.
    Dos and don'ts, but no tips ? Hum....Ok. My best advice, would be take half day charter with one of the local guides. you will save a lot of time of trail and error, channels, what to use and how. That is the fastest way to get up to speed.Yea, they will give you some looks , when you show up in your own boat. But you payed for there education, fair and square. Carry on, the Kings are coming in.

What kind of boat? Makes a big difference on when and where you can go. A 16 ft jon vs a 21 ft inboard roll differently.

My son and I were in the same situation last year when he got his new boat. What we did was to launch and then we headed upstream past Willow, got into some skinnies and had a blast. We then went looking for the Deshka and found ourselves way-way-way down the Big Su. Anyone familiar with the river would know were we were because there was a box and solar panel up in a tree on the east side of the river. Yep way-way down there. We turned around and found the Deshka which seemed like a 30 minute cruise. We are running an SJX and he is good at reading the water, I on the other hand am still in Drivers Training. If we were not heading south this weekend so we cannot make it to the Deshka. Take care and be safe.

Thanks for the replies! @SusitnaAk, I say no tips because I didn't want anyone to feel like I was out trolling for trade secrets; more looking for someone to show me how to safely run the river.

@Daved, I've got a G3 1860 CCT with a 90hp.

Again, thanks for the info guys!

The run from DL to the mouth is pretty straight forward with plenty of deep water this time of the year. You're going to want to swing wide to the left before you turn right up into the Deshka. This time of year it's probably not a huge deal, but it's still good practice so you don't hang up on the sand bar during lower water conditions. If you are going to run it before you go with someone (and you already have some experience running skinny), I would recommend only going up a few bends past the mouth, just to get your feet wet. My buddy just made his first every trip to the Deshka this week in a smaller jon, and he made it way way up river. I would not recommend that for your first trip, as he has a lot of experience running rivers in AK, but he's still lucky he didn't can open his boat as he barely missed a few nasties sitting only a few inches under the water.

One important questions, which hopefully is intuitively obvious to you, but you do have a jet right? A prop is asking for big trouble...

I have a decent size inboard, and I don't go up very far up river with it. My little jon on the other hand can run pretty skinny and is a whole lot less $$$ to replace. I would just take it carefully, the rocks in the deshka have eaten quite a few boats over the years, and your 1860 isn't cheap to replace or rebuild the bottom on. If you don't have a lot of experience running skinny water, disregard everything I've said and either follow someone else who is level headed, or take a charter up there. They deshka can commonly go from 2' of water to only a few inches with large BFR's everywhere.
    ~Alaska born and raised~ •'04 Duckworth, 5.7 w/ 3-stg. •High side Lowe, '13 Yami 25 prop+Merc 40/30 jet
    •Ranger 6x •CAT atv w/ 27" rubber •A very large moose buggy •M7 153" "Earned, NOT given"