Thread: Underwood Ammo in 460 Rowland

Thumbs down Underwood Ammo in 460 Rowland

I recently purchased 2 boxes of Underwood 250 grain .460 Rowland from Alaska Ammo. I shot a partial box through my Springfield Range Officer with a Clark Custom installed .460 Rowland conversion. Disastrous results. I had 10 cases with pierced primers and those that were not pierced were so flattened that the firing pin indentation was imperceptible. I also experienced severe recoil and numerous malfunctions.

I previously and subsequently shot several boxes of Corbon Hunters and Buffalo Bore with absolutely no issues.

I took the cases and an unopened box back to the seller, Alaska Ammo, who said that they would contact Underwood to determine if it is a gun issue or ammo issue, but were unwilling to take back the unopened box. I have no doubt that they will allege its a firearm issue to avoid potential liability.

Has anyone else experienced an issue with this ammo?

Quote Originally Posted by gdkodiak View Post
    I recently purchased 2 boxes of Underwood 250 grain .460 Rowland from Alaska Ammo. I shot a partial box through my Springfield Range Officer with a Clark Custom installed .460 Rowland conversion. Disastrous results. I had 10 cases with pierced primers and those that were not pierced were so flattened that the firing pin indentation was imperceptible. I also experienced severe recoil and numerous malfunctions.

I previously and subsequently shot several boxes of Corbon Hunters and Buffalo Bore with absolutely no issues.

I took the cases and an unopened box back to the seller, Alaska Ammo, who said that they would contact Underwood to determine if it is a gun issue or ammo issue, but were unwilling to take back the unopened box. I have no doubt that they will allege its a firearm issue to avoid potential liability.

Has anyone else experienced an issue with this ammo?
    Aka, Graniteclimber (the guy who owns Alaska Ammo formerly 10mmbelow ammo) has a bit of a reputation here. SO, there's your first mistake. As for Underwood, contact Kevin at underwood directly. Or go through Cody Craig sales@underwood.com.

I contacted them a little bit ago about some set back I had on some 2 year old ammo. They replaced it all, and asked me to send the bad stuff back so they could analyze it. Only down side is that Underwood doesn't ship to AK themselves. So you may have to arrange for shipping. I had them send the stuff to a friend in the lower 48 and he held them until I went down for a trip. But, I ended up talking to Kevin on the phone quite a bit. He's a good guy and he'll set you right I'm sure. Alaska Ammo? Can't say the same.

I had been thinking about a .460 Rowland and since I have used a lot of Underwood 10mm, with no issues, I was thinking about ammo from them. I just watched a Youtube video about someone having a squib load from an Underwood 460 Rowland. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQ2njXqlzMQ
    I hope that Underwood is not becoming a victim of their own success.

Quote Originally Posted by Ennis View Post
    When I talked to Kevin he said they had some problems back then and they had figured out what it was. That was about the same time my rounds were showing set-back issues. He said they worked it all out and it should be ok now. Keep in mind that was 2 years ago.

I think that any store that sells ammo should take back any unsafe ammo that they sell. Its taking responsibility for thier products. I understand why they state no returns but the customer expects safe shootable ammo when they purchase it.