Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Champ off strip?

Question Champ off strip?

I am currently deployed but will soon be heading back stateside and hanging up this military thing (8 yrs Active Duty)to return to Wasilla where I grew up. Just befor heading to Iraq I got my first flight in a 172 and it was a blast! A friend in florida where I am stationed is a apart time instructor and let me grab the yoke for awhile. I have been looking at experimental A/C trying to get an Idea of how to get air born as inexpensive as possible and then after reading this forum I started looking at older tandem planes. I know that I have a ton to learn but when I am competant/comfortable I would like to have a bird that can land off strips on sand bars etc. and still be "cheap" to fly. I was looking at Champs and they seem to be reasonably priced (less than my F150).

1. Can they fly tundra tires?
    2. Do you think I could even fit in one as I am 6'5" 240#.

I appreciate you all pointing me in the right direction and sorry if I am hitting topics mulled over a thousand times before. Oh also any recomendations on flight schools/instructors in the valley would be great help too!

Default Champ

In my opinion, a champ will do you just fine. You don't need big tires to go 90% of the place people go (I fly 31" tires so not bagging on them). I know folks who hunt all over the state on deflated 8:50's. I used to. A champ might have the most room of comparable aircraft for someone your size although you probably won't fit realy comfortable. Get a champ, fly the crap out of it and figure out if you want to trade up in about 300 hours. My advice. Good luck in the sandbox too.

There are a number of different Champ models. You could probably fit in any of them OK, though you'll be tight in any 2 place aircraft. You can go off-airport in them just fine - as long as you're careful how rough the surface is. The stock Champ gear is oleo and spring. After you touch down, you're on a "taxi spring" and I can tell you from experience that it doesn't tolerate much rough stuff, especially on skis. I converted my 7GC gear to Supercub bungee/hydrasorbs, and it's a huge difference.

A Taylorcraft is another good option.

Off airport landings are 80% pilot, 15% plane and 5% luck.

I have seen some very good pilots in pretty rough places with a 90hp or 115 hp Champ.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

I don't fly but my father in law has flown here since the early 50s with much of that time in the 60-early 70 spent guiding & flying in the bush.
    He's had everything from Champs to Super Cubs to T-Craft & Chiefs, Pacers, Tri-Pacers, a Widgeon, 170-206s, along with bigger stuff when they owned a commuter.
    I have no idea how many hours he has. Both of his sons have over 10k I believe just in Bell helicopters & a BUNCH more in fixed wing & he was flying long before they came along, & right up to their "retirement", so it's a lot.
    His favorite personal aircraft is still a Champ.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

25 years ago myself and a friend flew our two Cubs (an L-21B and a J-5 converted to a 125hp) out to a gravel bar in the Big Su. It took both of us more than a couple tries and we bounced all over the place.
    While we were standing there thinking we were a couple of real bush pilots, this little air knocker (Champ) comes putting down the river.
    A few seconds latter he putt-putts down on final and makes a prefect landing without hitting any big rocks.
    His Champ was show-room perfect and only had 850s or maybe even 800s for tires. I had 26 inchers and my buddy had 31s)
    He fished with us for a couple hours and then zoomed off the gravel bar and flew back to where-ever he came from.

I really learned a lot about planes and good pilots that day.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Well from what I am reading here and on supercub.org it looks like I have more choices than I would have thought. I have 0 experiance with any of these planes but it appears that the champ, citabria, T-craft and I am sure there are others will get me in the 25-35K range and all be somewhat off airport capable as my skills progress. I am sure some of these are better than others and some models of each better still. I hate to stir the pot and start a debate but I am trying to get an Idea of which way to go. I like the Idea of a stick but have no experiance either way. My apologies for my lack of knowledge I would love to be able to go to the local strip, take some lessons and get some seat time in each however for now all I have is the internet and sleepless night to think about flying.

[QUOTE=7GC;115078

A Taylorcraft is another good option.[/QUOTE]

I'd think Lujohn is too big uh boy for a Tcraft, no offense. I'm 6'2" 215 and I wasn't comfy in a BC 12D. I would assume that tall guys like us need either a 4 seater or a tandem plane. I was surprised that my knees were in the dash and I wasn't too comfy in a '56 Pacer.

Tim

I'm 6'6" and found out when I was shopping for an airplane that fitting in a T-Craft for me was absolutely impossible. I don't think that plane would work for a guy much over 6 foot.

I didn't think I'd ever find a plane that fit both my budget and my body until I discovered the Aeronca Sedan. Great airplane. Not many of those around but every now and then you can find one with the old C-145 engine for a reasonable price....Louis

If I were ever to afford a plane I would consider a Sedan and I like the Stinson's too, both are big and appear roomy. I thought I'd get a Pacer one day but I don't fit it too well-and the '56 Pacer has individual adjustable seats unlike their predessesors (sic?) which had bench seats!

Tim

For an instructor in the valley, I flew with Bill Billingsley out of wasilla and he seemed to be a very good instructor, not just a time builder instructor.

Talking Drive my Champ

LuJon when do you get home? Shoot me an email if you would ike to get some stick time in a Champ. I have a 1960 7EC (with an O320/150 hp thank you very much).

Drew

Default Why I like this forum

Quote Originally Posted by Toddler View Post
    LuJon when do you get home? Shoot me an email if you would ike to get some stick time in a Champ. I have a 1960 7EC (with an O320/150 hp thank you very much).
    Drew,
    This is exactly why I keep coming back to this forum, and why I can't wait to get back to Ak! Just plain good people. I would love the opportunity to at least get airborn in a champ and see what I think! Just got word I owe the good people of Iraq an extra 30 days so I doubt I will see Alaska till late September or early October

LuJon
    The offer stands. Stay safe and be one step ahead of the bad guys.

Drew

6'6" 260# and I fit in my citabria just fine. Bought in '92 intending to build time and trade up-still flying it. Fun on skiis!

Talking Back from Iraq

Well I am back from Iraq and currently in Tampa Fl where I am processing for separation from the military. I spent a little over 7 months in country and I am thrilled to be home. I will hopefully be unemployed and on my way to Alaska by the 9th of september. I am looking forward to finding an instructor and finally starting on my pilots license. Thanks to everyone on this forum and the supercub.org for keeping me sane and giving me something to look forward too!
    Jon

Default Welcome Home!

Jon, Let me say, "Welcome Back" and also, "Thank You for your service and sacrifice to our country". I'm sure you will find many hours of flying up here. If I can help you with your flying, just let me know how.
    Adison

Default Welcom Home!

Glad you made it home safe and sound. Give me a call after the 22nd of Sept so we can go fly.

Drew

Default Buying me a champ

Found a champ with the piper bungee style landing gear down on the Kenai Pensula. At 6 feet tall had plenty of room. It's not a pretty plane, but it will be mine. with 2 of us big boys and full of fuel took about 625 feet to get off. The day after I went for a ride I got my tail wheel endorsement. T-craft and cub seemed way to small.

Terry

There are some alternatives in the experimental world. One that I would like to test-fly is the Zenair CH-801. In my opinion, certificated planes and parts are over priced.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast