Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ester Hatchery Chums

Default Ester Hatchery Chums

Anyone been to Lake Bay to fish for the Chums at the Hatchery?

Yeah, I went last weekend and we snagged. It was about every cast, dime bright too. Great for the smoker. I always go the last week of May due to the commercial guys open in June, then you have to zig zag their nets. Good luck, it is an amazing trip. ready for the 4th of july main bay run of reds.....

Joe

The seiners have been in there catching cost recovery fish for the hatchery. Not sure what kind of schedule they're running, but sounds like it's been picking up

I've heard they are going to take 80% of the chums this year for cost recovery so the seiners will be working on cleaning them up all the time. Since most of the cost recovery will be covered by the chums i'd bet that the main bay gillnetters will get LOTS of fishing time on the reds. Good for gillnetters bad for snaggers.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

61% for cost recovery and brood stock, 39% for common property. According to ADF&G.

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/ap.../525256108.pdf

Will those chums take spoons, Brad's or bait...or is it pretty much a snagging show in Lake Bay or anywhere else, for that matter?

Quote Originally Posted by Garyak View Post
    Will those chums take spoons, Brad's or bait...or is it pretty much a snagging show in Lake Bay or anywhere else, for that matter?
    They will attack anything you throw at them

wasn't that long ago nobody cared about those dogs ??? (except me & some of my friends) !!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Where in lake bay can you fish? I don't understanding the regs.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill C View Post
    Where in lake bay can you fish? I don't understanding the regs.

Fish at the head of the bay where the Hatchery is, that's where I find them swimming in circles

Is it still worth the trip to try for a chum or two? Heading out Saturday Am..
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by JR2 View Post
    Is it still worth the trip to try for a chum or two? Heading out Saturday Am..
    Went today and smoked them ... 3 limits in short order. As soon as you pass the last rock just before hatchery turn right and fish along the net ... Pixies worked best and orange was the color for the day

Looks like a commercial opener started today at eight am and runs sixty hours, guess Sunday looks like a good day for chums.

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by JR2 View Post
    Looks like a commercial opener started today at eight am and runs sixty hours, guess Sunday looks like a good day for chums.
    I'd still go on Saturday like you want, those seiners will be there but if you go where I said there shouldn't be any interference

So we've been shut out of Esther and granet bay subdistrict and I don't expect to be let back in until the chums are black and zombies. They have moved their cost recovery efforts to Main bay so we are out of Main Bay subdistrict also. FYI

I was @ Lake Bay Tuesday of last week. Took 6 bright chums on a pixie but had to sort through about 15 or so rough looking ones to get them. Caught a real nice yellow eye and a decent dusky along the coast between there and Esther bay. Bugs ate about 3 lbs of me.

All I found in Lake bay were pinks, did get a couple hard hits that I did not hook but it was pink city last Saturday and Sunday.

We just got back and took 5 chums and one BIG humpy out of Lake Bay yesterday. I have to say, I've never had much luck getting the chums to bite aggressively in the salt.

When we pulled in, We tried pixies and/or snagging at the rock outcropping before the barrier seine, with no luck. The sun was shining and even though the fish were jumping, they were only popping up to jump and then heading right back down to deeper water. We ended up trolling for them (deep six, flasher and green hoochies...run at about 10-25 feet down)...but it still took 3-4 hours to boat six fish.

In other years, I've caught or snagged them more easily when they were swimming at the surface but that wasn't the case on Monday. I'd sure appreciate advice if something works better than what I've been trying. It's wildly frustrating to see/know there's a hundred thousand or more fish swimming around you but you're only scratch fishing for them.

I love these fish for the smoker (thanks, pwsac), they're really firm and brine/smoke very well. I wasn't really looking to take much more than a half dozen or so, but was frustrating that it took so long to take just a few (when they were that plentiful).
    "Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I still get to kill something." --Ron Swanson

I think they are pretty fickle, MRFISH. Had one first cast right where you started but it got off...then zip for a couple hours. So, I left and fiddled around Quillian and Esther Bays most of the afternoon. Tried again on the way back but went right to the head of the bay this time and bingo. They were really hitting the pixie. They quit all of a sudden and it took over an hour to get my last two bright ones.

How were the flies in Lake Bay, wished I had a head net when I was there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast