Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New to big bore

Default New to big bore

I was about ready to get a Glock 20 and a 6"KKM 10mm barrel. I would be using it for when I go backpacking. No big bears around me.

Then I got thinking about getting a Ruger Redhawk 4" in 44magnum. I've never shot a big bore revolver but have wanted to. I was handling the RR 4", along with a S&W 629 44 mag, at the local gunshop and they felt great in my hand.

I'm wondering whether it would a fun gun to shoot at the range and whether I could handle the recoil. I've shot plenty of 1911 45ACP but the 44 magnum would be a major step up in firepower and recoil.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Do you reload? Down load that .44 to some "mild" level, shoot cast 240 grain bullets and it will be fun to shoot. If you buy some super dupper bear killers of the heavy and fast kind, it's going to be less fun.

I don't reload but thought I would use 44 special for typical range shooting.

You can probably handle the 44mag just fine. My choice would be what felt best between the glock and revolvers. The glock will feel lighter for sure but adding fifthteen rounds of ammo it gets heavier.Double tap now makes 45acp ammo in 230gr that is as powerfull as their 180gr 10mm they say any way.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Living in Alaska must be a dream come true in so many ways. In one small way, it involves firearms. I live in a state where you can not buy ammo online, you can only have a 10-round magazine and you can only legally put 7 rounds in that 10-round mag! That's life in a communist state.

A 15-round magazine helps to narrow some of the mathematics when comparing a 10mm with a 6-round 44 magnum. 7 rounds...forget it!

I'd love to try a 44 magnum but none of my friends own one. To make matters worse, there are no ranges that rent firearms any where within driving distance.

So I'm left with the decision to go the easy route and choose a 10mm or take a chance and buy a Ruger RH hoping that I'll be able to handle the recoil and enjoy it.

Just to me, the advantages of a glock 10mm over a revolver big bore outweigh the terminal performance between 44 mag and 10mm per round for backpacking. Got to hit the central nervous system to make a quick stop unless you have a long gun so shot placement and number of chances with hard cast lead are key. I didn't have any experience with revolvers so the 10mm was much easier to learn to be accurate with too.

Quote Originally Posted by AKMtnRunner View Post
    Just to me, the advantages of a glock 10mm over a revolver big bore outweigh the terminal performance between 44 mag and 10mm per round for backpacking. Got to hit the central nervous system to make a quick stop unless you have a long gun so shot placement and number of chances with hard cast lead are key. I didn't have any experience with revolvers so the 10mm was much easier to learn to be accurate with too.
    You forgot the main ingredient here... penetration. The best way to achieve that is with a heavy bullet. 200gr is light. 300gr is the light end of heavy. That starts with .429.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Quote Originally Posted by wiiawiwb View Post
    Living in Alaska must be a dream come true in so many ways. In one small way, it involves firearms. I live in a state where you can not buy ammo online, you can only have a 10-round magazine and you can only legally put 7 rounds in that 10-round mag! That's life in a communist state.

A 15-round magazine helps to narrow some of the mathematics when comparing a 10mm with a 6-round 44 magnum. 7 rounds...forget it!

I'd love to try a 44 magnum but none of my friends own one. To make matters worse, there are no ranges that rent firearms any where within driving distance.

So I'm left with the decision to go the easy route and choose a 10mm or take a chance and buy a Ruger RH hoping that I'll be able to handle the recoil and enjoy it.
    No need for 10 or 15 rounds unless your shooting gang bangers. The best, most used big bore handguns in the world for hunting all dangerous game are 5 shot revolvers with a few 6 shooters in there. The key is having a heavy bullet and being able to shoot your gun.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

The last sentence of the previous post is the key to this thread. Will I be able to shoot a 44 magnum?

I won't have the opportunity to shoot one before buying so it's only a guess whether I will be able to effectively handle it.

Heads yes, tails, no.

No brainer for me. .44 RR in 4".

OK, the decision's made. I'm going with the 44 magnum. I'm considering the Redhawk 4" and the Alaskan 2". For those who have shot both, which one makes the most sense for backpacking and no hunting? Is the recoil similar between the two?

OK, the decision's made. I'm going with the 44 magnum. I'm considering the Redhawk 4" and the Alaskan 2". For those who have shot both, which one makes the most sense for backpacking and no hunting? Is the recoil similar between the two?
    There is a considerable difference between the Redhawk and Super Redhawk when it come to grip/gripframe and action. YOU need to fondle and dry fire both to see what you like best. If you like the SRH Alaskan better then I'd seriously consider getting the 454 Casull in that gun since lopping the barrel down to 2 " inches neuters the cartridge. It will allow you to load it with heavy 454 like 360gr Buffalo Bore or other loads for bear protection and of course you can shoot anything from light light 45 Colt on up for fun and practice.

my .02

If you will spend the necessary time and money on ammo and training/practice you'll be able to shoot the .44 Magnum. Stout loads are fairly brisk, but manageable. A 2 inch barreled revolver is more comfortable to carry than longer barrels are IMO, but I've never found a 4-5 inch barrel uncomfortable in the field and they (4-5 inch) are significantly easier to shoot (longer sighting radius, less perceived recoil and substantially less muzzle blast). The 4 inch RH or a 5 inch SRH are both fine revolvers and would be at the top of the list for your stated goals. I wouldn't opt for a shorter barrel big bore; they're better in theory than they are in application.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Quote Originally Posted by 1Cor15:19 View Post
    ....... The 4 inch RH or a 5 inch SRH are both fine revolvers and would be at the top of the list for your stated goals. I wouldn't opt for a shorter barrel big bore; they're better in theory than they are in application.
    ^^^^^^this^^^^^^

There will be a HUGE difference in recoil between the 2" and the 4". I have several Redhawks in all calibers they were manufactured in. My favorite is the 5 1/2 " .44 magnum. I doubt you will enjoy shooting a 2" unless it is exclusively with .44 Special loads. In that case, you may as well buy a .44 Special and not a .44 mag.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Have had both and still shoot a four inch,big difference. Cheaper to change grips then add barrel lenght.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

I'll get flamed for this, but here goes...........

I have a 5" SRH 454 and a 2 3/4" 454 (the AK model) (Also a 4 1/4" and a 7 1/2"). Shooting the same ammo, same day, I thought the 2 3/4" recoiled LESS !!!!!

I've got the same grips on both guns..... So I did the math, chronograph both, and the numbers say the 2 3/4" has a little less recoil.

The 2 3/4" is enough slower that it reduces the recoil........And it feels that way to me.........Not much less, but a bit......

Anyway that's my .02cents............That 2 3/4" really drops a lot of speed...........

Get the gun that the grip feels best................ and to throw another one in the ring S&W 69, I got one and really like it.
    "The older I get, the better I was."

Default Some great ideas

You've all given me great reasons to consider the 44 magnum,/44 special vs. the 454 casull/45 long colt choice. In my case, I am severely handicapped with limited access to ammo as I can not buy it online. I checked around today and only one of 7 gun shops in my area had any 44 special ammo. Every one of the gun shops had 45LC as did Walmart and Dicks Sporting Goods.

I could always plan ahead and make sure I had an ample supply of the 44 special by buying it from the one store or having one of the other stores order it (at a premium of course).

The 454 casull could make sense because I could have fun and shoot some of the cowboy action 45LC at the range and have the 454 casull available for when I backpack.

Does my thinking make sense as far as the 454 being a better fit?

(........I started out wondering whether it would be even possible to handle a 44 magnum and now I'm even consider getting a 454 casull. Have I lost my mind?!!........)

If you go with 45Colt/454 keep in mind that a 4" Redhawk in 45 Colt will do anything that needs done. No need to stick with a 454 SRH if the Redhawk grip fits you.

Some of the 45 Colt +p ammo is plenty good enough. 300gr @ 1325fps..

All you would gain by going 454 is longer range. No need to push a 300gr bullet to 1800fps, 1200-1300 is good enough.
    "The older I get, the better I was."

The Redhawk in 45 Colt has the Hogue grips with a metal spine down the center. The Super Redhawk in the Alaskan (or Talo/Toklat) has the full rubber tamer Hogue grips.

Would those full grips be more comfortable and help with recoil impact?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast