Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bear spray

Default Bear spray

Did anyone here ever had a encounter with a bear and had to use bear spray? I normaly have my 38 on my side when i am in the bush, but i just bought some bear spray. I was just wondering if the stuff works like they say it does.

About 10 years ago I sprayed a small blackie on fort rich and I think it kinda enjoyed it.

Basically I was on weapons watch on one of the ranges that we were planning on using the next day. This little blackie came out and he wouldnt leave the area. we tried throwing rocks at it and chasing it off. I had a 9mm but didnt want to shoot it since he was just looking for food. We had some spray with us also. hit it in the snotlocker with spray and it ran about 10yards then returned. I think we were efffected more than the bear. It eventually left and I threw the rest of the spray in the trash.

Be careful of the wind when you spray that stuff. I was with someone who was testing a can of bear spray and the wind dragged the cloud of mist in my direction. It was so dispersed I couldn't see it but when I took a deep breathe my lungs and eyes felt like they were on fire. Hiking the rest of the day was a chore and I didn't feel right for a few days.

Mark

Bear spray, hair spray.

Both are made for people who are afraid of firearms.

Here is a web site with interesting research on bear spray and its effectiveness. http://www.absc.usgs.gov/research/br...epperspray.htm

Two things I appreciate about bear spray:
    -- it is frequently easier to carry and access than much heavier pistol/shotgun while hiking with gear.
    -- it is very safe to have around groups of people (Scouts, for instance) who may be unfamiliar with firearms. In group settings, it's also hard (within possibly a few seconds of reaction time) to know exactly what's in your field of fire in case your first shot at Yogi goes wide.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Bear spray, hair spray.

that made me laugh!but i guess thats true :)

Quote Originally Posted by toofewweekends View Post
    Here is a web site with interesting research on bear spray and its effectiveness. http://www.absc.usgs.gov/research/br...epperspray.htm

Two things I appreciate about bear spray:
    -- it is frequently easier to carry and access than much heavier pistol/shotgun while hiking with gear.
    -- it is very safe to have around groups of people (Scouts, for instance) who may be unfamiliar with firearms. In group settings, it's also hard (within possibly a few seconds of reaction time) to know exactly what's in your field of fire in case your first shot at Yogi goes wide.

You working for the National Park Service wouldn't have any relevance on that reasoning, now would it? :) Obviously, we all know that the carriage of firearms in National Parks is generally restricted (although there are a few National Parks in Alaska that allow the carriage of arms for bear protection), so other alternatives are essential if one is to follow the law. However, if a 90% deterent with pepper spray at that distance and with our conditions is good enough for some, than more power to them. It's not good enough for me. I'll take my lifetime of firearms usage over a can of pepper any day.

The few things I can't stand about "bear spray" is:
    1. It can't kill a bear that may be trying to kill you.
    2. Weather conditions are almost never in your favor for what would be ideal for a pepper spray deterent.
    3. Nobody ever practices with it. It costs $50 for a can and can't be re-filled like a fire extinguisher.
    4. Takes up more space than people realize. The canisters designed for bear deterent are quite large and have holsters that are essentially the same size as some of my handgun holsters, albeit with less weight.

No thanks, I'll stick with tac-drivers instead.

Default Real name for Bear Spray

In bear language, bear spray is called "Tabasco" . . .

SH

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by svehunter View Post
    Originally Posted by Mark
    Bear spray, hair spray.

that made me laugh!but i guess thats true :)
    I joke around sometimes ;-)

Read an interesting statistic some time back, but can't remember where. Some research showed that when encountering a bear, people packing firearms were nearly twice as likely to get mauled as people packing pepper spray. Interesting if true.

Pepper spray usually gives the average non-gun-toter the courage to stand his ground and not run. If it does nothing else Pepper can be good for that.

Some bear encounter reports indicate that bears turn when the large orange cloud comes rushing at them. The noise & sight of it are enough to get them to go the other way. Of course, this does nothing to discourage a truly frightened or surprised bear that has decided to fight in order to live, or a sow protecting her cubs. Also, bears like the smell and taste of pepper spray if it's not sprayed in their face. Spraying it around your tent or campsite will attract them. They've been know to roll in dirt and equipment that have been pepper sprayed.

Pepper can work for many situations, but sometimes bullets are the only solution. Unfortunately, not many people are proficient enough with guns for them to be the wisest choice of defense to carry in the woods.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Strutz View Post
    Read an interesting statistic some time back, but can't remember where. Some research showed that when encountering a bear, people packing firearms were nearly twice as likely to get mauled as people packing pepper spray. Interesting if true.....
    It's probably true, and it was probably published as propaganda. Consider:

1) Bear spray showed up on the market about 15 years ago. People with firearms have been getting mauled for centuries.

2) There are exponentially more people in the woods with firearms than bear spray, especially in places that have bears (Alaska).

....Pepper can work for many situations, but sometimes bullets are the only solution. Unfortunately, not many people are proficient enough with guns for them to be the wisest choice of defense to carry in the woods.
    One thing I noticed from Larry Kaniut's research and books was that flareguns have a remarkably efficient rate for getting bears to leave.

White phosphorous worked really well against enemy troops in Europe during WWII and in Vietnam, as well.

Antagonists, when on fire, tend to loose focus on antagonism..........

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    White phosphorous worked really well against enemy troops in Europe during WWII and in Vietnam, as well.

Antagonists, when on fire, tend to loose focus on antagonism..........
    I'll amen that one! Chalk one up for Willie Pete, LOL.

[quote=Jim Strutz;118801]Read an interesting statistic some time back, but can't remember where. Some research showed that when encountering a bear, people packing firearms were nearly twice as likely to get mauled as people packing pepper spray. Interesting if true.

No doubt, and no offence meant, but this is especially true if one carries a .38 as mentioned above, (this would work well on your buddies knee).

Default Here's an idea I've been kicking around.

How about a "bear spray" that is built into a shotgun shell? I would make it a bit bigger round and brightly colored so it couldn't be confused with a standard shell, and make an extremely short barrel "pistol type" gun to use it in. You would get the explosive quality and report of a firearm, and probably bring more of that chemical crap to bear on your target. (so to speak)
    Basically, it would be just a like a regular shell without the shot. Substitute a plastic chemical cartridge that disintegrated when fired, maybe a little rock salt for some extra sting...
    Just an idea, but may be worth testing...
    What do you experts think?

I used to work in the bush and we had lots of brown bear in the area. A co-worker decided to try bear spray out and positioned himself to give a bear a snoot full of the stuff. It worked and the bear hi-tailed it out of there. This bear was just one who was minding his own business and not behaving agressively, also suprised by some yayhoo suddenly shooting the stuff at him, but the animal did leave in a hurrry.

I have personally sprayed two black bears. Neither liked it nor hung around. Can't say anything about grizzly or anyone elses experience, just mine.

Default Just my opinion

Bear spray works when you use the right type, counter assault or UDAP. Whether you carry a gun or not, some areas in alaska just do not allow you carry a firearm when in the "woods" were bears might happen to be. The Spray works when used correctly. It is only a last chance close in detterent. It allows people the chance to enjoy some of the parks that do not own a gun and still have some ability to be of safe. I for one would rather an inexperienced hiker carry pepper spray than a firearm and go blasting away.

I have used this stuff in my job for almost 17 years and it is very effective on brown and black bears. One has to remember that they DO have an experation date on the bottle and will lose their effectiveness after that.

Just a thought

Different brands also have different concentrations of capsicum (sp?) red pepper which is the irritant, I say the higher the percentage the better.

Default bear spray

bear spray is probably a safer bet than a .38 , I'd put both in a drawer and pick up a .45-70 , concealed .44 mag ( minimum ) in the parks where guns are " illegal "

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaNooB View Post
    How about a "bear spray" that is built into a shotgun shell? I would make it a bit bigger round and brightly colored so it couldn't be confused with a standard shell, and make an extremely short barrel "pistol type" gun to use it in. You would get the explosive quality and report of a firearm, and probably bring more of that chemical crap to bear on your target. (so to speak)
    Basically, it would be just a like a regular shell without the shot. Substitute a plastic chemical cartridge that disintegrated when fired, maybe a little rock salt for some extra sting...
    Just an idea, but may be worth testing...
    What do you experts think?
    I was just reading in a magazine yesterday that Kimber has come out with a gun that shoots OC projectiles. I wonder how that would work? I imagine it was designed for punier animals than bears.....Louis

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast