Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need advice on shipping a boat to anchorage

Default Need advice on shipping a boat to anchorage

I was wondering if anyone has any experience in shipping a boat up from Seattle. I have done a search on the forum but was unable to find anything. I may have missed it. I have been checking with the primary carriers, such as Lynden, PAF etc. hard to believe it cost 9k to ship a 32ftr. I appreciate any and all ideas.

Thanks

The Alaska Ferry? I saw some pretty big boats being shipped up as well as some very large trailers.

Shipped my 28' by ferry from Seattle to Haines. Price was close to $5K. Ferry usually books up and by this time of the year it's hard to find availability for something the size you are talking about. Haines was the least expensive of the options for Alaska stops. 32' should be an inside passage option. One day that is a trip I will make. Good luck on getting it here.
    "Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away."

Not sure if the hybrid option would work for you... but I had a buddy put my 24' boat on the ferry in Bellingham, WA and shipped it to Haines where I drove there and picked it up and hauled it back to Anchorage. It worked great and cost me $2,200 plus the gas to get to Haines and back. The biggest problem this time of year is probably scheduling I did it in April and slots were filling up fast, especially if you bring it across the gulf into Whittier. Call the Alaska Marine Highway people and ask them about options, they deal with this kind of thing all the time.
    The Tug is the Drug
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    2007 Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore - Evinrude Etec 225 - "Eagle VI"

Greg01
    Yes I would love to make the inside passage run, however time is an issue for me. Thanks for the help.

Try Alaska Marine Lines 339-5151 i think 8-9 grand is the going rate.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Northland is another option. I've used them several times and they seem to be slightly less than anyone else.

A co-worker was recently quoted 6k for a 24 foot boat to be shipped up so 9 for a 32 seems about right.

Quote Originally Posted by Avid outdoorsmen View Post
    I was wondering if anyone has any experience in shipping a boat up from Seattle. I have done a search on the forum but was unable to find anything. I may have missed it. I have been checking with the primary carriers, such as Lynden, PAF etc. hard to believe it cost 9k to ship a 32ftr. I appreciate any and all ideas.

Thanks
    Have you tried AK Logistics? They are based out of SEA and Seward. WE are shipping our car up for $2500. Same price as it would be from Seward. I think a boat would cost around $5k for that size, but I don't remember what the quote was for us on a boat.

I was going to buy a 32' boat in Seattle last summer. AML (Lynden) and Samson were both right around $8,000 for shipping to Juneau. Northland was purchased by AML if I'm not mistaken. The ferry would have been around $5,500. The biggest problem with the ferry is scheduling. I needed the boat shipped in May, but there was nothing available until August. Frankly, there was no way I was going to pay that much for a used boat to be shipped from Seattle, so I waited and found one in Valdez instead! Good luck with whichever option you choose!

Chris

I've seen 60-70' boats in Seward lashed on top of those massive container ships. Track down one of those "big boy" company that stops in Seward. Also, try Horizon. Don't remember if I saw them mentioned in this thread

It's $110-120/foot. Tip to tip for 8.5wide trailer/boat. Then add 33-35% fuel surcharge and a few other minor fees and you should have a ballpark cost.

I appreciate all of the advice. I am taking notes and will be contacting each of the carriers mentioned. I am not familiar with the big boys that come into Seward. I am not familiar what akshoot was making reference to carriers Out of Seward. Any ideas?

I don't know which freight company it was, but it was impressive seeing boats of that size on top of all the containers.

Might look into having it shipped to Kodiak and going on the ferry from there? I don't know if it'll be any cheaper, just trying to help you think outside the box

pretty much all your options have been covered, it appears. you could try craigslist or uship.com (I think that's where they bid on shipments?) if you want a stranger to pull your boat up over the highway.
    otherwise call around find the best rate, get it in writing or an email. then call Mike Hamm (works with me at AML) at 351-8988 and see if he will match or beat it. those other companies will give you a good rate but they aren't always "on schedule". if AML will meet or beat it then you get a good rate and on time (for the most part) service. otherwise the other guys will ultimately take care of you.
    looks like you're on the pen so if you wanted AML could even pull it off in Whittier. might help you get a little better rate cause then we wouldn't have to pay the rail to get it to Anch, but you didn't hear that from me...

Alaska Logistics and Samson Tug and Barge both stop here in Seward, you might contact them for a quote. I often see large boats being transported on both.

Thanks I really appreciate all the help. I am starting to receive some quotes back. I will let everyone know what I find.

I have used America Fast Frieght in the past shipping equipment with good results, not sure if they ship boats but would not hurt to give them a call.
    Mike

For 9k why not just drive down there and bring it up yourself? That would be a fraction of the cost and should be a nice road trip.

Joebut-- the simple answer is; time and money. As I mentioned, the boat is 32x10 ~ 13,500lbs. It is approximately 3k miles over the road, from the Oregon coast to K- Pen. My simple calculations, with that kind of load I am estimating approx. 5 mpg. which is 600 gallons at an average cost of $4 per gallon, that maybe conservative. That's $2400. If we add in the expenses, a few nights of hotel rooms, this time of year, rounding up for food and lodging say its another $600. That's only 3k. If I factor in driving down, lets say I can do it for 1k. Now we are at 4k.

The price is still attractive, however after I consider taking 9-10 days off work, to make the round trip, it appears to be cost prohibitive. I wish I were retired. Unfortunately, I find myself with less time than money, and not enough of either one. So I guess if I want the boat bad enough I am going to have to bite the bullet. Headed down soon to sea trial. I appreciate the advice.

thx

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast