Thread: For the Volvo Experts

Default For the Volvo Experts

So I dropped pots this morning. Ran fine out then 9 mph coming back. Just would not go any faster. So the windows started to fog and I turned on the blower - Poof, fixed, power and running fine. Turn blower off, loss of power and RPM. It is a Volvo 5.0GL. The GL stands for "Good Luck". Temp was fine as well as everything else. What on God's green earth does a defroster have to do with engine power????

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    What on God's green earth does a defroster have to do with engine power????

It doesn't unless you have something else wrong that the defroster appears to mask the problem.

What I suggest you do when your having a problem, is to measure the battery voltage before an after turning on the defroster. If the voltage increased tighten the alternator belt it may be slipping.

You also may have a bad connection and turning on the defroster makes it better. I realize that does not make sense. But neither does your problem.

You could also look for bad connection by moving wires around and see if the engine improves .

check the grounding. That is what the defroster has to do with the engine power. poor ground connection.

A grounding issue sounds plausible. Will have to look at the grounds. There should be a little message center somewhere that tells you EXACTLY what is wrong every time something happens. Sure would make life easier.

A grounding issue sounds plausible. Will have to look at the grounds. There should be a little message center somewhere that tells you EXACTLY what is wrong every time something happens. Sure would make life easier.
    You should have ask about a message center first it would have save a lot of time.

There are several message centers that do what your asking. Call up the repair shop of your choice and leave a message telling them the problem, location of the boat and your C.C. Number it's that easy. LOL

So I pulled the main wiring harness connection from the motor to the one that runs up front. I cleaned it and found one "pin" that was in the female part of the connector. I cleaned everything, tightened her down and went for a test run. Everything was fine now except no horn and the defroster motor does not turn on. So I am "assuming" that the broken pin is the one that connects that stuff to the motor. So plan "B" is to take it back apart, pull the pin out and see if I can MacGyver it back together until I can get a hew wiring harness.

The horn and defroster are high current item, they would not be power through the engine harness.
    I suggest you look for a blown fuse (maybe 20a ) going to the horn and defroster.
    If you can read the pin number or letter ask Volvo what it is for and you may be able to bypass it with out buying a new harness.
    Good luck.

I was actually able to get the harness out into the open light. Pins are OK. But I still have lost the heater and horn. I checked all the fuses and they are fine. Motor is finally working correctly as all gauges. Checked all connections and they are good too. Odd thing, the defroster/heater switch has a light in the center and if I hit the horn, the light goes on. The tech manuals only cover the wiring for the main components (gauges, fuel pump, alternator). The blower, lights and horn are not included in the tech manual wiring diagrams. I did notice that the main power harness from the motor goes into another harness that has more branches. I am going to pull that one tomorrow.

But I still have lost the heater and horn. I checked all the fuses and they are fine. Motor is finally working correctly as all gauges. Checked all connections and they are good too. Odd thing, the defroster/heater switch has a light in the center and if I hit the horn, the light goes on. The tech manuals only cover the wiring for the main components (gauges, fuel pump, alternator). The blower, lights and horn are not included in the tech manual wiring diagrams. I did notice that the main power harness from the motor goes into another harness that has more branches. I am going to pull that one tomorrow.
    You may have problems with corrosion in the wiring. Their two common circuit used to power the horn and defroster using your information.

If my information is corrected the ground strip that is common to horn and defroster that would cause the problem. Trace the black wires from the horn and defroster too the ground strip and remove any corrosion. If that does not fix your problem, it may be at the other end of the wire going from the ground strip to the main ground.

If you use a 12ga wire to by pass the ground strip it could save you time. Be careful you don't put it on a +12 v power strip, or you will be sorry.
    Good luck.

Dave do you have a multimeter? If the horn and blower stopped after disconnecting the engine harness-check on the motor for ground/pwr. problem either loose or corroded.
    If we get to Valdez this year I will plan on spending some time with you and your boat. I will give it a good checkover and explain and chase down all the ghosts in your boat.
    We are about the same age Air Force 71-75 One of those vietnam era service members.

Retiredinhomer - If you get to Valdez and do that, expect to go fishing too. Will be here until the end of August then I am off to Africa to bow hunt plains game. Has to be a ground issue somewhere. I wish the electrical diagrams were complete. It would sure make things easier.

Thank you for your service.

I DID IT! I went into the back side of the dash and started tightening wires, checking connectors and what not. I found one plug that was loose. Pulled it out and part of it fell off. Three wires going to it. So new connector and plugged it in. That was it. The power to the blower, horn and whatever the other wire was, all draw their power from the ignition switch. So they had some connection to the motor somehow not supplying a ground I think. Anyways, everything work. Appreciate all the help fellas.

That really good new. I know it makes me feel good when I fix a problem that bugging me.

Good Job, MacGyver
    Two meaning if you take my drift.

And the problem is back. Ran fine going out to do pots and on the way back had to turn on the defroster to get it to run.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Is it an issue of the RPMs won't come up?

Yes the RPMs won't move up until I turn on the heater/defroster. I am thinking, is the fuel pump cooled by the cooling system and when I turn on the heater it provides additional cooling power to the fuel pump?? Otherwise I can't figure out the relationship between turning on the blower and the RPM. The engine temp. is fine, if anything a little lower since I replaced the pump.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

That's what I was kinda thinking also, fuel pump. Might be worth trying to chase the wires for the fuel pump to find where there's commonality with the defrost/blower...they must have something in common.

Frostbitten - You might be on to something. Since the blower/horn both draw power and activate with the ignition switch and the fuel pump activates when the switch is turned on also, there might be a ground issue between the three. An interesting test might be to go out and press the horn to see if the boat goes faster since it is related to the issue. I can see it now, tooting your own horn to make the boat go faster.

check the ground connection on the engine block. Did you not say this problem with the defroster started after you cleaned the engine harness connector? There should be at least 3-4 ground connections on the block way back by the flywheel.
    I would have responded sooner but just got back from Anchorage.

Did you get your boat fix? If so can you give us a up-date the information will help other when they have problems.