Thread: Anchor river info

Default Anchor river info

Hi guys, the boyfriend and I will be in AK the last week of August and first week of September, and I'm interested in trying the Anchor for steelies and silvers, which I have never done. I'm just looking for general advice, links, tips, whatever you know. I'm trying to figure out if it's worth a trip down, I'm only in AK for 11 days so if I have a good chance of getting skunked or only catching 1 fish I'd rather go elsewhere.

For trout, is it primarily a bead fishery? Will a 9' rod cut it or do I want a switch? Is it better to fish an incoming tide or is that just for silvers? What do I want for water conditions, and can I look up cfs or something for the Anchor?

For silvers is there any particular pattern or is it like most silvers and you just fish pink....

Will it be crowded that time of year on a weekend, should I try to hit it on a weekday?

I'm doing a fair amount of my own research but I like hearing personal experiences. Thanks a bunch guys
    Thank God for people who don't fish!! Not much would get done without them =)

The steelhead and dollies, like most things around here have been pounded and are down in numbers the last several years, I wouldn't waste time fishing for them here, much better places for that. The silver run is small and hard to time.

As for crowds, yes, plan to share every hole with someone else that time of year.

Recommendations on where else to check out? If it's not worth my time (I'm planning on allotting 2 full days for it), then I'll just head north for Grayling. We're going to fish Montana and the surrounding areas so I could just tack on a couple more days there. But I was just interested in trying something new

The last week of August/early September you have a lot of quality choices here on the Kenai Peninsula to choose from. The lower Anchor (old bridge down to tidewater) early morning, evening, or around high tide can be productive for both silvers & steelhead. If crowds are an issue avoiding the weekends, mid day, labor day, and be willing to hike will help immensely. For steelhead I've gotten to the point that I like to explore new water from the upper reaches (north fork road) down and with the sterling highway crossing the Anchor in multiple places it is easy to get away from other anglers. Nearby Deep Creek seems to fish better earlier for steelhead so keep that in mind and Swanson River might have better silver numbers at that timeframe but you will have several options if the anchor is not producing for you.
    USGS has a water flow for the Anchor but has become somewhat unreliable the last few years as far as accuracy. Quick rising water is tough, but as soon as the levels start to stabilize it brings fresh fish into the system. To me when the weather goes into extended cold dry spells these are the times that I most dread.
    The Anchor is without a doubt sees a fair amount of pressure but it is a jewel of a river to explore. 7/8 weight fly rod is what I use as I could go lighter but the steelhead here are strong & I do not believe in using a light set up as it simply puts to much stress on them.

I should have mentioned if you want fun trout/Dollie trip, pay for a Kenai float and then go camp at the Russian for some evening fishing. Upper Kenai floats are cheap and the Russian is a blast that time of year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah I have a buddy with a boat, we hit up the middle every year and sometimes drift the upper. We'll also be on the Russian for 2 days. I've been fishing those spots since I was I diapers and I love them, I was just thinking something different might be fun. But if it's not worth my time to explore a new spot I may just stick to the holes I know.