Thread: Oliy soot on trophys.

Default Oliy soot on trophys.

My furnace backfired and filled my garage and trophy room with oily soot. The long hairs of the goat and fox look the worst. I vacuumed them. The sheep capes look better but not the goat or fox. Would like to hear your recommendations for cleaning.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by cdp View Post
    My furnace backfired and filled my garage and trophy room with oily soot. The long hairs of the goat and fox look the worst. I vacuumed them. The sheep capes look better but not the goat or fox. Would like to hear your recommendations for cleaning.
    Take them them to a taxidermist

Give me a call. 357-7847/. Much depends on the age of your mounts, but you should be able to clean then
    Taxidermy IS art!
    www.alaskawildliferugs.com
    Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!

In some cases ( If the mounts are not too old) Can be washed & Blown dry This will remove mostly all of the soot.

Just was Gently around the face & ears so you don't loosen the skin.

Its not hard to do but you MUST towel them off & Blow with a Hair dryer or LEAF BLOWER till the fur is dry.

You can use any kind of Hair Shampoo & conditioner from Walmart.

Give me a call if you need any more advice.

RJ Simington
    PRO Taxidermy
    907 322 0936
    Custom Taxidermy, Experience the difference !!

Quote Originally Posted by protaxidermy View Post
    In some cases ( If the mounts are not too old) Can be washed & Blown dry This will remove mostly all of the soot.

Just was Gently around the face & ears so you don't loosen the skin.

Its not hard to do but you MUST towel them off & Blow with a Hair dryer or LEAF BLOWER till the fur is dry.

You can use any kind of Hair Shampoo & conditioner from Walmart.

Give me a call if you need any more advice.

RJ Simington
    PRO Taxidermy
    907 322 0936
    Don't rub against the lay of the hair. My taxidermist told me years ago to hang them to dry. White animals like sheep and goats on the sunny side of the house. Deer and others in the shade. Don't get them too wet. Use a sponge and wipe them down with the hair.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

On Sheep & Goats there hair is very Brittle, ESPECIALLY if it has been bleached White.

If the fur is WET & washed you can Usually get away with rubbing all the soot out.

We WASH every lifesize after they are mounted to ensure all hide paste & other things are out of the hair then blow them dry with a leaf blower.

On Older mounts the skin can actually flake apart when it gets wet due to the decomposition of the skin, known as DRY ROT.

as long as the skin is not disturbed or soaked the hair usually stays in place , but things like over handling , Dry Heat, bugs & a few other things can rapidly cause hair to dislodge or just snap in two.

Cleaning & repairing Old mounts is a loaded gun just waiting to go off, That's why MOST taxidermist will not take that kind of projects on.

Too much chance of being blamed for a customers mount falling apart when it wasn't any of the taxidermists fault in the first place.

RJ Simington
    PRO Taxidermy Fairbanks

Thanks All. The oldest mount would be 25 yrs. I have a fox pelt I bought a yard sale that I can practice on.

Quote Originally Posted by protaxidermy View Post
    On Sheep & Goats there hair is very Brittle, ESPECIALLY if it has been bleached White.

If the fur is WET & washed you can Usually get away with rubbing all the soot out.

We WASH every lifesize after they are mounted to ensure all hide paste & other things are out of the hair then blow them dry with a leaf blower.

On Older mounts the skin can actually flake apart when it gets wet due to the decomposition of the skin, known as DRY ROT.

as long as the skin is not disturbed or soaked the hair usually stays in place , but things like over handling , Dry Heat, bugs & a few other things can rapidly cause hair to dislodge or just snap in two.

Cleaning & repairing Old mounts is a loaded gun just waiting to go off, That's why MOST taxidermist will not take that kind of projects on.

Too much chance of being blamed for a customers mount falling apart when it wasn't any of the taxidermists fault in the first place.

RJ Simington
    PRO Taxidermy Fairbanks
    I've never had a sheep or goat bleached. They're not really white anyway. Plus the bleaching is hard on the hair. If you ever have a problem, and it's been bleached in the past, you may be on this site looking for another cape. Got an extra thousand bucks, or so?
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

If Bleaching is done PROPERLY, there will be no problem.

If you have ANY Blood damage on your capes they will have to be bleached or Airbrushed.

I would rather have Bleached & White fur than Painted or stained yellow.

A lot of sheep are bleached at the tanneries if requested by the taxidermist , I bleach them ( & tan all of them in house) here so I have total control of the bleaching.

ALL of my Competition Dall sheep & Mtn Goats are bleached & shampooed so they are the brightest & prettiest they can be.

Most of the time your taxidermist doesn't tell you all of the things that are done to your skin, so they don't have to explain the whole process.

RJ Simington
    PRO Taxidermy Fairbanks