Thread: question with types of claims

Default question with types of claims

What is the difference between an MTRSC claim and the Traditional? Is it just size? Iím looking at an area I would like to stake and I want to make sure I do the correct paperwork without an immediate issue or one down the road. Any advice/help would be greatly appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by overtime View Post
    What is the difference between an MTRSC claim and the Traditional? Is it just size? Iím looking at an area I would like to stake and I want to make sure I do the correct paperwork without an immediate issue or one down the road. Any advice/help would be greatly appreciated!
    somebody who knows better than me will chime in, but I didn't think you had a choice if you were staking a new claim. I thought that all new claims *must* be MTRSC 1/4 or 1/4-1/4 parcels.

You can still do both: http://dnr.alaska.gov/mlw/mining/min_prop.cfm However, traditional claims don't follow streams or are rotated 40 acres. They are only reduced or offset 40 acre boxes or rectangles tied to the cardinal system, really just an offset to the MTRSC system so you stake 1 claim vs 4 to take advantage of topography. For your first claim, stick to MTRSC to keep it simple. Just make sure you understand meridian, township, range, and sections before hitting the field: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_Land_Survey_System If you get that wrong you could be staking the middle of nowhere.

I presume you're already using AK mapper to determine what's claimed, available, or not. Just be sure to know where you're at in the field (use a GPS!!!), make a discovery, stake the corners properly, etc... You'd be amazed how far off some stakes can get (I've seen 1/2 mile off in the middle one of my claims) if they exist at all (web staking = bad!). Get those coordinates before you go into the field. Print maps, etc... Just be sure to read and understand the instructions on the form, it does explain it fairly well. The paperwork is really the easy part.

Thanks for the Info! This is my first time claiming so I may come back with plenty more questions. Now if I want to claim an area bordering another, what is the best way to get the adjacent claimís coordinates? Do I just zoom in or look up the records of that claim< Do I use the bordering coordinates as my own on that side or is that bad practice?

On AK mapper, you zoom in and check the mouse hover coordinates. Be sure to zoom in enough to get fairly accurate coordinates (+/- 50 ft) I'd get all 4 corners, then confirm them in google earth as a double check by comparing the aerial photo views and landmarks. Assuming the adjacent claim is on the MTRSC system (it lines up with section and quarter lines), then their adjacent corners are your corners. Once you've got them, program your GPS and you're good to go.

This is an area I would like to stake that is in between two claims. I'm kind of confused. Do the MTRSC claims have to be an exact 1/4 sections because this claim would have to be an odd shape to make 40 acres. I can't get the mapper coordinates to match up with google earth, it's ridiculous only the latitude will match. Either I'm absolutely uneducated in this and about to be embarrassed very easily or google earth just sucks ass.

In Google Earth try Tools, Options, and set it to Decimal Degrees which is probably the default setting on AK mapper. Google earth tends to understand the various formats and converts them to whatever you have set. Also, you can drop placemarks and edit their coordinates to where you want to locate section corners or claim corners, etc... You can also scale off using the measuring tools from section corners to find or make new corners.

If you are struggling with the coordinate systems, you are probably clueless on the township, range, and sections as well. It is simple, but failing to understand that your claim could easily end up in the wrong borough.

Thanks for all your help. With this information and what I received from BLM and DNR I have it all figured out now............ I hope.