Thread: Time to go to war with chickweed

Default Time to go to war with chickweed

Ok. It's time to go to war with chickweed. If we get it under control in the next two weeks, the rest of the summer will be smooth sailing.

I scrape broad swaths of soil with a flat hoe and remove the resulting weeds and soil to my compost pile. close to my plants, I just use my fingers to pick weeds. Afterwards, I mulch with grass clippings.

Does anybody have suggestions for removing broad swaths of weeds away from the plants? I feel like there is probably a better tool than my flat hoe. I think I might try a serrated trowel that I use for spreading construction adhesive. I'm thinking that the serrations might do a better job of grabbing the weeds but leaving the soil.

Any other ideas?

>THIS< is hands down my favorite tool of all time.

Reminder: Chickweed is edible...
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    >THIS< is hands down my favorite tool of all time.

Reminder: Chickweed is edible...
    Thanks taiga. I use something similar, but maybe with less of an aggressive acute angle. Maybe I should try bending it inwards and see if it works better.

Chickweed is edible, but do you eat it? I used to feed it to turkeys, and they loved it.

Quote Originally Posted by HikerDan View Post
    Chickweed is edible, but do you eat it?
    Of course not.

Actually, I may start adding it to salads, like I would sprouts. I have nibbled on it in the garden, and it's really not bad.
    I used to feed it to turkeys, and they loved it.
    Yup, our chickens always loved it too.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist