Thread: anyone have issues with someone running dogs for bears near your bait site?

Default anyone have issues with someone running dogs for bears near your bait site?

Last night sat in the stand for about 7 hours until just after midnight. We both heard a hunting party running dogs near by followed by the sounds of the dogs baying when what we assumed they treed a bear followed by 3 gun shots (large caliber). After that all activity pretty much stopped around us so we waited a few hours then packed up and called it a night. I do know running dogs is legal (with permit) however I have never had a issue with it happening near any of my sites until last night. This happened in unit 14A.

"Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons."

Quote Originally Posted by NhraFox View Post
    Last night sat in the stand for about 7 hours until just after midnight. We both heard a hunting party running dogs near by followed by the sounds of the dogs baying when what we assumed they treed a bear followed by 3 gun shots (large caliber). After that all activity pretty much stopped around us so we waited a few hours then packed up and called it a night. I do know running dogs is legal (with permit) however I have never had a issue with it happening near any of my sites until last night. This happened in unit 14A.
    I wouldn't necessarily be happy but if it's public land, what can we do?

yup we were not too chipper about the idea.. being public land not much we can do about it however it brings up lots of questions about if a dog runs through the bait site while we are occupying it and pushes animals off etc. Wouldn't this fall under the Alaska hunter harassment law? I am all for taking game animals etc but when people push dogs in areas that are heavily baited you would think other hunters in the stands are equally as irritated when bear dogs go flying through stations etc.

"Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons."

Have you considered this..........it is dark, the dogs voice treed on "YOU" in your perch. And over the barking dogs you hear a voice, "Hell, Leroy I can't see it real good but it's in that tree thar, why don't you fire a few rounds at that thing in that tree and see if it moves"...

Quote Originally Posted by NhraFox View Post
    yup we were not too chipper about the idea.. being public land not much we can do about it however it brings up lots of questions about if a dog runs through the bait site while we are occupying it and pushes animals off etc. Wouldn't this fall under the Alaska hunter harassment law? I am all for taking game animals etc but when people push dogs in areas that are heavily baited you would think other hunters in the stands are equally as irritated when bear dogs go flying through stations etc.

I do know this is a real issue in northern Michigan. Never heard of it up here

Where I grew up in western Wa. the hound hunters killed everything they treed. I could count on both hands the number of bears I saw off the Reservation. On the Rez, we saw multiple bears a day. No hounds on the Rez.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Ya was a bit concerning to say the least having dogs that close running a muck. Just makes me think back to baiting our normal area in 16 due to less people. Only reason we even run a site in 14A right now is its close to home so I can get the kids in the stand with out having to worry about them too much if the weather turns sour etc. Guess I'm just ranting a bit.

power commuting twixt the valley and anchorage

You want to use the harassment law against them while they're hunting? I don't think that's what the law was intended for.
    In fact, I speculate a lot of the general public probably view hunting with hounds to be more sporting than baiting.
    My only gear sponsor is the salvation army - Dick Griffith

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    Have you considered this..........it is dark, the dogs voice treed on "YOU" in your perch. And over the barking dogs you hear a voice, "Hell, Leroy I can't see it real good but it's in that tree thar, why don't you fire a few rounds at that thing in that tree and see if it moves"...
    I suppose if a pack of dogs thought they had 'treed me' while I was in a stand, I would start yelling for the houndsmen to let them know their dogs were 'barking up the wrong tree'.

Just a side note... my shoes and pants do smell like bears, especially right now with many bears coming into the shop. It is always entertaining to have 'pet' dogs freak out when they approach me...They usually do not like the smell - at all.. Their owners always say, 'that's weird. Fido never acts like that'. LOL! Then I tell them, 'well, I'm a taxidermist'.

Nhrafox - it is a bummer, but not sure there is anything you can do about the situation.
    Taxidermy IS art!
    www.alaskawildliferugs.com
    Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!

It will get worse, the greater the human infestation, the lower the quality of life for all of humanity.

Quote Originally Posted by JuliW View Post

Nhrafox - it is a bummer, but not sure there is anything you can do about the situation.

I would let fish and game know. There are very few people who actually get that permit and hunting without one is a big violation.

Quote Originally Posted by ak_cowboy View Post
    I would let fish and game know. There are very few people who actually get that permit and hunting without one is a big violation.
    You think somebody is going to raise and train hounds and then not get a permit? Being a houndsman is a lifestyle. The houndsmen I have met over the years are more dedicated to their sport than 99% of all bear baiters. Disclosure- I'm a baiter myself. not a houndsman.

I would not call fish and fur because I seen a fellow sportsmen afield!

Quote Originally Posted by JuliW View Post
    Just a side note... my shoes and pants do smell like bears, especially right now with many bears coming into the shop. It is always entertaining to have 'pet' dogs freak out when they approach me...They usually do not like the smell - at all.. Their owners always say, 'that's weird. Fido never acts like that'. LOL! Then I tell them, 'well, I'm a taxidermist'.
    Thats funny. After being a taxidermist for many years myself I know exactly what you mean except for beagles. Beagles always loved the smell of me and the shop.

Quote Originally Posted by scott_rn View Post
    You want to use the harassment law against them while they're hunting? I don't think that's what the law was intended for.
    In fact, I speculate a lot of the general public probably view hunting with hounds to be more sporting than baiting.
    Not unless it got to the point that it was interfering with things. bumping a bear off happens (hell I tripped a 6ft this weekend walking into my station up north).. my problem is the time frame (limited visibility due to time), the fact that I know 3 other people who also are within earshot of my station who I have spoke to already (they too were a bit concerned with the dogs as they were also in their stands and one actually had the dogs go right under him by his equipment). I just figure that where these other guys are set up they have highly visible signs posted stating "active bear bait station" you cannot miss them honestly... and that is one of the locations the dogs were in which almost makes me feel like the houndsmen were possibly using the active bait sites as starting points. I have run dogs in NC for deer, bear, hogs etc and we seldom would run them in limited visibility due to safety reasons.

I have no idea where your bait station is,but I know in many areas there are so many bait stations in the remote areas people like to hunt that it is no surprise bear baiters and hound hunters would run into each other.
    Kind of like bear baiters who are surprised an area they researched over the winter actually has other bear baiters already there.
    If you are on the road system you are going to run into other hunters.
    I would be shocked if you could find a good area on the road system to run hounds that did not have bait stations present.
    It's not like people advertise where their stations are either. When they released the hounds they likely had no idea your station was there unless your signs were posted at the road or trailhead or possibly they saw your vehicle and guessed what you were doing.
    I wouldn't like it anymore than you did but it is what it is on the road system.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"