Thread: 2007 Mercury Optimax 115hp.warning alarm when key is in the ON position

Default 2007 Mercury Optimax 115hp.warning alarm when key is in the ON position

I put the motor to sleep last winter and everything worked fine. No alarms. This year I get ready to start the motor up on the hose and when I turned on the key the alarm was a constant. Normally I turn the key and get a short blast then it is quiet, start the motor. This time I get a consistent alarm. I have a Smart Craft Monitoring system on board. It is showing a bell= alarm and at the bottom an engine icon similar to a check engine. Oil tank is full, water is running through the hose and pee tube. Fresh gas, no water in the gas. Any other options other than than taking it in to the shop? This has me completely buffaloed. I don't understand why it was fine when I winterized and now I have this problem. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

could be a low voltage situation. double check your battery, connections etc. possibly could be your neutral indicator switch.

Frostbitten, battery has crossed my mind. Same battery I've used since I got the motor. It was fully charged, so the battery charger said. Neutral indicator switch, where would I find that? In the throttle control box or on the side of the motor? Thanks

I had a 2000 opti 150. Only alarm issue I had was when I let the oil in the main tank run out. After the main reservoir runs out there is a smaller auxilary reservoir (about the size of a pop can) inside the motor cowling. There is a sensor in the very top of that reservoir that triggers an alarm when the oil drops. In order to fill that back up you have to take the top off and run the motor. It will fill that reservoir then.

Not sure how that could happen over the winter, but thought I would share just in case.

Not sure where it is on your outboard. I had a mercruiser 5.7 with a bad switch that kind of acted the same way...sometimes it was on constantly, sometimes only at 3500+ RPMs. On that motor it was where the shift and throttle cables connected to the linkage on the top of the engine. All the switch does is tell the ECM when the motor is in gear and when it isn't, and it keeps the motor from over-reving while in neutral. Easy to rule it out by simply disconnecting it and turning on the key to see if the alarm still sounds. It may not be your problem, it just sounds somewhat familiar.

Jayz12 It only has one oil tank and that is on the engine. Holds a little over 5 quarts. It was 3/4 full when the issue began. I ruled out the float switch. Thanks

Frost. I'll look around and see what I can find. I've got a jet unit on it so that may complicate things maybe not. But I'll give it a once over. thanks.

I have a 2005 opti and have had a few warnings of that nature. Can be water in the gas, air lock in the oil system. I have also had it happen once when the shifter mechanism on the motor was stuck in between neutral and forward. I am running a jet most of the time so I had to zip tie the shifter mechanism in the forward position. My guess would probably be that you have an air lock in the fuel or oil system. I have had that a few times if it sits for awhile. I always keep my oil reservoir at least a third full or fill it up. If you cant figure out the issue the best mechanic that I have found is Burkshore marina in Big lake. Randy really seems to know his stuff.

Thanks marbs. I never let the oil go down very far so I can't think of why it would have an oil lock. I will go check and see the if the linkage has moved. You say it should be in the full forward position? All I've got is time now.

If you are running a jet pump. If you are running a prop then the cable will be connected to the linkage and should be moving back and forth when you shift into and out of gear. I also had an alarm once when the screw in filter on the side of the motor had loosened up a bit and caused an air leak. I would make sure that caps for the fuel and oil are snugged down good.

Thank you Sir I will check that out.

BOAT="Breaking Out Another Thousand". Ordering a new battery today. I noticed that the battery I have in it was not up to the specs recommended for the Optimax series plus it was a deep cycle battery and not a marine starting battery. Why this was not brought to my attention when the motor was mounted and hooked up to the battery in Anchorage is beyond me, the battery was in the boat. Worked for seven years but not this time. Hoping this solves the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Retired Jim View Post
    BOAT="Breaking Out Another Thousand". Ordering a new battery today. I noticed that the battery I have in it was not up to the specs recommended for the Optimax series plus it was a deep cycle battery and not a marine starting battery. Why this was not brought to my attention when the motor was mounted and hooked up to the battery in Anchorage is beyond me, the battery was in the boat. Worked for seven years but not this time. Hoping this solves the problem.
    I think you may be on the right track Jim.

Forgot about that one. I also had to put different battery in. Very important to have as many cold cranking amps as possible.

I remember there is a way to read the error code on a Mercury engine using a light. Maybe that would be a better place to start instead of replacing thing for the fun if it. I agree replacing a 7 year old battery is something that should have been done 2 years ago.

Had a problem with my old 90 two stroke where it just started alarming while out on the water.
    Turned out to be the oil level switch. As a temporary fix I just unplugged one of the wires and it shut off.
    This happened all of a sudden while out on the lake.

Quote Originally Posted by MacGyver View Post
    I remember there is a way to read the error code on a Mercury engine using a light. Maybe that would be a better place to start instead of replacing thing for the fun if it. I agree replacing a 7 year old battery is something that should have been done 2 years ago.
    Battery needs to be changed. If that isn't the problem I can always use it in my other boat. It needs replacing also. I have not found anything in my research on how to read the codes with a light. Thanks for your input on my problem.

Thanks for the imput.

Quote Originally Posted by DRIFTER_016 View Post
    Had a problem with my old 90 two stroke where it just started alarming while out on the water.
    Turned out to be the oil level switch. As a temporary fix I just unplugged one of the wires and it shut off.
    This happened all of a sudden while out on the lake.
    I went through the oil level switch with no results, alarm still goes off. Thanks for the suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    I think you may be on the right track Jim.
    We'll find out for sure tomorrow Thanks

Update on alarm problem. Finally found time last week to take it in for a diagnosis. Results were not what I wanted to hear. A circuit, the alarm circuit to be exact in the PCM fried. Mechanically the motor is sound. I was told there was a service bulletin released on this circuit saying it was a known problem. The remedy is $2500.00 for a new PCM. My question is why wasn't I notified from Mercury that this problem existed when it was under warranty. The motor is 8 years old and has 45 hours on it. Just a little frustrated with Mercury right now. Under the suggestion of the mechanic I am going to unplug the alarm in the control box, take it out on Finger lake. I asked if the safe guard had kicked in. He wasn't sure. I also did a little research as to why this goes bad. One result was if you try and start the motor with the toggle switch on the control box is in the OFF position and crank the motor for some unknown reason it will kill that alarm circuit. Anyone wanna buy a boat?