Thread: Black Bear Help

Default Black Bear Help

Just looking for pointers on finding black bears. I'm going to hunt the Kenai Peninsula next week and would appreciate any tips or advice. Never hunted blacks before. I'm pretty much set on going regardless of the temps or smoke. A couple of questions I have is: what effect will the warm temps have on the black bears? Will they be mostly in the cover and up high, or at this time of year are they heading down to lower areas? Any pointers or advice? Backpacking and going light.

Tim

Default bear hunting

In my experience, temperature doesn't seem to make much difference when it comes to bear hunting. I've killed them in everything from 40s and rain to 80s and bright sunshine. I've never hunted the Kenai before, so all I can tell you is that I have always done my bear hunting up above the timber line where you can actually see them. My guess is that this time of year you will mainly see grizzlies down low since the fish are in, and that the black bears will be concentrated higher up.
    I do almost all of my bear hunting on foot. Will you be alone, or with a partner? When I kill a bear that I have to pack out, I skin it, cut it in half across the back, and pack it in halves. With interior bears, you can pack both halves in one load sometimes (but it isn't much fun). I suspect Kenai bears are a bit bigger on average, so that may not be possible for you. Regardless, since you want to save weight packing in to where you are going to hunt, all you need is 2 or 3 good game bags.....one for each half and one for the hide if you want to put it in a bag. I know some guys who just strap the hide to their pack, but I like to bag mine.
    Hope this helps.

Thanks for the advice. I was hoping that temps wouldn't matter much, it was warm down here (Anchorage) for a while. I do have a partner and we are planning to walk in and hunt above tree line. The regs don't require the salvage of meat but I suspect the meat should be fine since where we are going they will be foraging and not fishing.

Tim

Default meat

The meat should be fine as long as they aren't eating fish. Normally what I do is smoke the hams and turn the rest into hamburger and stew meat. My wife doesn't like bear that much, but she'll eat it that way. Bear roasts are also good, but steaks aren't worth the trouble of cutting them since you have to cook the meat till its well done. Bear meat definitely makes good burgers, though.

Bear meat also makes primo Salami...

Default Bear meat

Good to hear its good burger and salami. I wasn't quite sure what to do with. My buddy recently shot a black bear and had burger made, but I haven't tried it yet. How does it taste compared to moose, assuming its meat off a non-fishing bear? Will the wife and kids know the difference betwen moose and black bear burger?

Tim

Well - I havent burger yet - Though I want to try some. The bear Salami is cut with pork so it will bind - I really couldnt tell much difference between deer and it honestly - It was awesome.

I have several bags of morning sausage as well, and thats is pretty tasty to boot...