Thread: Reports on trail past O'Brien Creek

Default Reports on trail past O'Brien Creek

Anybody been down the trail yet? If it's impassable, where, what mile marker? Thanks in advance for any first hand knowledge.

Just got back from Chitina. Trail isn't any worse than last year. I caught 41 reds in 4 hours from shore. I went out 3 miles from the foot bridge and didn't have any problems. Only difficult part was getting all those fish up over the little drop-off into the creek about 2.4 miles in.

Thanks for the update Cubecove, that D@mn rock at the small creek has been a pain for many years. Glad to hear dipping went well.
    The true Soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.

HOOAH

I had too many fish behind the wheeler so took the wheeler up then towed the tote up with the wheeler using a rope.

Thanks for the update, someone needs to bring some steel ramps out there and leave 'em at that slick rock at the creek ;o)

Can anyone give a recent update on the littering/fish carcass situation along the trail and shoreline? It was terrible in 2013 on the 2nd weekend, with piles of fish heads along the trail and at pretty much every hole. Even two sites with discarded fish.

Much better in 2014 on the 1st weekend, but I heard it was also better through the season.

I'm headed down this weekend, just wondering if it'll be as nasty as 2013.

Is anyone taking side by sides back there? I've been out by boat the last few years but remember the trail being pretty washed out and skinny with the wheeler when I used to go that route. I've got a rhino and a wheeler and would obviously rather take the rhino for hauling coolers. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.

I seen one last year, but I would never consider driving mine.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
    "I'd rather be fishing!"

Quote Originally Posted by akarmy View Post
    Is anyone taking side by sides back there? I've been out by boat the last few years but remember the trail being pretty washed out and skinny with the wheeler when I used to go that route. I've got a rhino and a wheeler and would obviously rather take the rhino for hauling coolers. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.
    You see them occasionally, I wouldn't do it though- off the edge and it's all over but the screaming. The trail is just too narrow in spots.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

To answer my own question, the fish disposal and littering situation was far, far better two weekends ago than during the equivalent weekend a couple years back. Seems like people are putting in some effort to get the fish carcasses back in the river, and pack out their crap. Was nice to see.

Quote Originally Posted by siddfynch View Post
    Can anyone give a recent update on the littering/fish carcass situation along the trail and shoreline? It was terrible in 2013 on the 2nd weekend, with piles of fish heads along the trail and at pretty much every hole. Even two sites with discarded fish.

Much better in 2014 on the 1st weekend, but I heard it was also better through the season.

I'm headed down this weekend, just wondering if it'll be as nasty as 2013.

Yep, even a bear s**** in the woods, most of the time, but some people don't seem to care where they leave their crap, literally and figuratively. Alaska should be a pleasure for all of us to be in regardless where we travel. I have also seen bear across the river and tracks right on the trail. Do you or your loved ones want to be on that trail after some careless fool has enticed a bear to also be?

Please, Pack it in, Pack it out, and put fish waste in the deep running water where it will do some good.