Thread: 40 Mile Caribou

Default 40 Mile Caribou

Planning on hunting the fall hunt this year. Just wondering if anyone could give any advice. Anything helps.... I plan on using my side x side to get back in on the trails.

Check the 40 Mile Caribou Hotline for herd location as it varies a lot.

Hunting in the areas where the 40 Mile heard are accessible, you will need to get ahold of BLM & find out Where you can & Cant go with a side by side.

All side by sides fall into the OVER 1500 GVW is what I was told by the BLM cop & can ONLY travel on Mine roads or established roads & trails.

He told me that even though my Ranger is only about 1000 lbs with tracks on it, the factory says it can Haul 2 people & 900 lb payload that that puts it way over the 1500lb GVW.

I know I see other guys up the Steese every year on side by sides to out on a distant mountain top but he told me that the fine is VERY Expensive Plus when dealing with these guys it is a FEDERAL FINE that you will have to go to Federal court to fight. ( Good luck with that )

Quads are fine as long as they are no larger than a Polaris 6x6 or equvilant.

Check with BLM & US Forest Service before ruining your whole trip if you get checked .

Other than that The Taylor Highway Or the Steese Hyway, Just follow all the pickups & you will see where the trails start up the mountains to where the caribou Might or might not be.

The 40 mile caribou are NOT ALWAYS there in the accessible areas during the short season we have for them.

ALSO, Most of the time the season is only 1 or 2 days for the Road accessible areas of the Steese & the Taylor hyways. Do your home work before driving 3000 miles for a 2 day hunt.

I am NOT trying to talk you out of coming up here in any way. Just a little Friends advise.

Call me & I will give you some locations on the map where we kill Caribou in the 40 Mile heard.

RJ Simington
    PRO Taxidermy
    907 322 0936
    Custom Taxidermy, Experience the difference !!

protaxidermy, I'm sure you didn't notice, but ORhunting's location is listed as North Pole; I'm sure he isn't driving 3000 miles, :-D

I'm considering the registration hunt also, but I just plan on packing my patience - and I'm really just looking to do a little more looking around. I'm sure the locals are going to be looking down their noses at me, but, hey, I won't be there long.

Good luck to all as fall hunting seasons loom on the horizon.

OK OOOPS.

Just trying to help another hunter out.

RJ Simington
    PRO Taxidermy
    Custom Taxidermy, Experience the difference !!