Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Setting pots - drifting or under power?

Default Setting pots - drifting or under power?

When you are setting your pots do you like to be under power or just drifting? If under power, do you go

1. with the direction the boat would drift if in neutral
    2. against the direction of drift
    3. Towards shore (uphill, i.e. from deeper to shallower)
    4. Away from shore (downhill)

always set under power unless you like building duplexs or triplexs out of your pots ! Set any way you want as long as its covering the ground you want to fish. After setting it all out stick around a good 15 minutes and watch the buoy/buoys to set if you didn't drift into water over your head(too deep). I'd think with the web pots you could almost double the sink time ??? Remember aprox 20% more buoyline than the deepest you will fish.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

We always set under power, and generally set uphill, but don't give too much thought to that since we have plenty of line. No concern given to the direction of drift.

Yep. Always under power. If it's a fairly flat area, we drop along the shoreline. If it's super steep and deep then we drop deep and end up shallower. Like Steve said, hang around for a few minutes and make sure your pots stay where you dropped them. Especially if the tide is running hard. I believe Steve or someone posted up a video that showed his square pots took 6 minutes to hit the bottom at 600'. Not sure what the difference would be with round ones, but I'd imagine it's a bit longer. (I wish I had my old Steve's pots back from the depths of PWS)
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

Thanks for the replies. I set under power in the direction of the drift. Since I've started setting like that I have never pulled up tangled gear. Not that I used to pull up tangled gear often, but it seemed to happen once ever dozen sets or so. Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by Kenai In July View Post
    Thanks for the replies. I set under power in the direction of the drift. Since I've started setting like that I have never pulled up tangled gear. Not that I used to pull up tangled gear often, but it seemed to happen once ever dozen sets or so. Thanks again!
    how far apart are your pots ? you might be snarling them when you haul not on the set unless your setting at a snails pace.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by Rob B View Post
    Yep. Always under power. If it's a fairly flat area, we drop along the shoreline. If it's super steep and deep then we drop deep and end up shallower. Like Steve said, hang around for a few minutes and make sure your pots stay where you dropped them. Especially if the tide is running hard. I believe Steve or someone posted up a video that showed his square pots took 6 minutes to hit the bottom at 600'. Not sure what the difference would be with round ones, but I'd imagine it's a bit longer. (I wish I had my old Steve's pots back from the depths of PWS)
    i tried timing the sink on a single pot of mine by just throwing it over and letting it sink a bit, i roughly figured it sank at about 2ft/sec and my gear is way heavier than most. Those web pots must kite down slowly and i'd bet with all the web puckered on the bottom they would also want to flip over and land bottom up unless they are well weighted , by that i mean not some gillnet leadline but chain or steel. Gillnet leadline weight is measured per 600' so it works out to ounces per foot, common size is 120-150lbs/600' and some of that weight is lost to the floating of the poly line used in the braid of the leadline.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

I bought my gear from you Steve! 80'

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bought my gear from you Steve! 80'

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    well the spread is good then ! do you toss over the sink rope ala "deadliest catch" in coils or gobs or do you run it all out under power ? maybe try going a little faster when you set.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

I have not had a tangle in a long time. I run it out under power and hold the line 2-3 times to straighten it out after the last pot is overboard but before they hit the bottom. I was mostly curious what direction folks aim. I have friends who aim towards shore, others that head away. I feel it makes more sense to go with the flow rather than across or against it. I hit my spots (pun intended) consistently and solidly. I have 8-10 pounds of extra weight in each pot. More importantly I have a lot of bugs in them when I pull them back up!

I'd say you got it down pretty good then. I always pull them tight at the end of the line too. I've pulled up a tangles mess before when I was a shrimp rookie.

I have not had a tangle in a long time. I run it out under power and hold the line 2-3 times to straighten it out after the last pot is overboard but before they hit the bottom. I was mostly curious what direction folks aim. I have friends who aim towards shore, others that head away. I feel it makes more sense to go with the flow rather than across or against it. I hit my spots (pun intended) consistently and solidly. I have 8-10 pounds of extra weight in each pot. More importantly I have a lot of bugs in them when I pull them back up!
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

So after you reach the bottom and expel extra line to account for the tide, what you guys do with the rest of your rope? Say if you have a 600' spool and are only setting in 300' of water?
    I usually just tie it off so that it can unravel and attach it to my buoy.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by wingshooter12g View Post
    So after you reach the bottom and expel extra line to account for the tide, what you guys do with the rest of your rope? Say if you have a 600' spool and are only setting in 300' of water?
    I usually just tie it off so that it can unravel and attach it to my buoy.
    Only did that once...what a tangled friggin mess it made!!!

One of the few times I set that shallow I just hooked a 3 lb halibut sinker to the line after about 450 ft of line had gone out.

I have 900 ft of line on each string, so I have a knot at 600 ft on each, I can if I so desire untie that knot and set in shallow water that way as well. I have found that I do better deeper. I have considered rigging up to drop pots in 1000 ft just to see what I would find.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Ha well JR2, if I rigged up to 1000ft I KNOW I would find myself in the Chiropractor...

All kidding aside, if setting in 400-500ft of water, would you recommend that I let all 600ft of my line out and tie the end to the buoy? Or tie the unused line(100ft-200ft) to the buoy so that I don't have more line weighted and dragging on the ocean floor than necessary?

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Ha well JR2, if I rigged up to 1000ft I KNOW I would find myself in the Chiropractor...

All kidding aside, if setting in 400-500ft of water, would you recommend that I let all 600ft of my line out and tie the end to the buoy? Or tie the unused line(100ft-200ft) to the buoy so that I don't have more line weighted and dragging on the ocean floor than necessary?
    If I were you, I would let out all the line and put the buoy on the bitter end...assuming you are using sinking line

That is what I do. I have used my strings in 450-500 plenty of times.With three pots 100 ft apart I only have 700 ft from the last pot to surface so I usually target 600 ft of water or less. Mt second string of two I target 700 ft or so.

I pulled bot strings by hand once last year when the puller broke, never again. Have a bouy and anchor puller thing as an emergency back up now.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

like i've said before, 20% more BUOYLINE than the deepest you'll be setting in so 500' plus 100'(the 20%) = 600' of buoyline. buoyline is from the buoy to the pot closest to the buoy, not the end of the string.
    If you have to shorten the buoyline learn to tie a sheepshank knot http://www.animatedknots.com/sheepshank/ the only thing i do different is to tie 2 half hitches on each end of the coil instead of the single half hitch in the vid.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by JR2 View Post
    One of the few times I set that shallow I just hooked a 3 lb halibut sinker to the line after about 450 ft of line had gone out.

I have 900 ft of line on each string, so I have a knot at 600 ft on each, I can if I so desire untie that knot and set in shallow water that way as well. I have found that I do better deeper. I have considered rigging up to drop pots in 1000 ft just to see what I would find.
    I've fished down to 1000 and there ain't much there in fact i've never found much in anything over 800 but your results may vary. I ain't ever going to set in 800+ again.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

I've never felt the need to shorten the line - just add another sinker or two.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast