Thread: Loading for my .41 Mag Redhawks

Default Loading for my .41 Mag Redhawks

Yes, plural. I have 3 Redhawks in .41 magnum. I have several boxes of Hornady 210 XTP bullets, and a keg of W296. I know the Redhawk can take the heat. I'll be using CCI 350 primers. Thinking 21 to 22 grains of 296.
    Recently loaded some stout rounds for my .45 Redhawk using 300 XTP's and 23 grains of 296. I have been loading 296 in my .44's for years, and my favorite load there is also 23 grains behind Hornady's 265 grain slug designed for the .444 Marlin.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Three Redhawks in 41 Mag! They are a bit hard to find. It's one of my favorite rounds in a handgun. I have two of them, a Blackhawk and and Ruger Bisley. According to Hodgdon's data your 21-22 grain load with a 210 grain bullet should be fine. They list 22 grains as max and in a Redhawk it will be no issue. Those things are tanks. I've not run any commercial bullets through my Bisley and only a handful through my Blackhawk. I am primarily a cast bullet shooter with revolvers. I have a lot of heavy cast bullet data for the 41 magnum if you ever decide to try some heavy cast. If you ever decide three Redhawks is too many or would like to trade one off let me know. I'd love to get a hold of a Redhawk 41.

Quote Originally Posted by mart View Post
    Three Redhawks in 41 Mag! They are a bit hard to find. It's one of my favorite rounds in a handgun. I have two of them, a Blackhawk and and Ruger Bisley. According to Hodgdon's data your 21-22 grain load with a 210 grain bullet should be fine. They list 22 grains as max and in a Redhawk it will be no issue. Those things are tanks. I've not run any commercial bullets through my Bisley and only a handful through my Blackhawk. I am primarily a cast bullet shooter with revolvers. I have a lot of heavy cast bullet data for the 41 magnum if you ever decide to try some heavy cast. If you ever decide three Redhawks is too many or would like to trade one off let me know. I'd love to get a hold of a Redhawk 41.
    Just so you know, I also have one in .357 with a 7.5 barrel. The hottest loads feel like a whimpy .38 in that revolver.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

The Redhawk is a great gun. You ought to be able to make the 357 really sing in that 7.5 inch. I have one of the four inch 45 Colts. I really like it.

I have a Blackhawk that I'm loading a 270gr home made jacketed bullet in to 1200fps with H110. I also cast the Lyman 410610 which wieghs 225gr with wheel weights and gets about 1480 fps from the Blackhawk and Blue Dot.

Quote Originally Posted by rbuck351 View Post
    I have a Blackhawk that I'm loading a 270gr home made jacketed bullet in to 1200fps with H110. I also cast the Lyman 410610 which wieghs 225gr with wheel weights and gets about 1480 fps from the Blackhawk and Blue Dot.
    I liked Blue Dot in my 41 Blackhawk. I had nothing but deer to shoot with mine so found that the 210 gr XTP in the boiler room did everything a 44 would do. I shot just enough cast bullets to know that they would go end to end through a big bodied whitetail.

When I sold my last Blackhawk 41 mag I had a hundred rounds of the hot XTPs left. A local guy asked if he could buy them to shoot in his Taurus 41 carry gun. I declined and told him they were too hot for his Taurus and he got about half mad. I don't know Taurus handguns all that well but his looked comparable to a short barreled "L" frame. He might have been ok but I don't want my name attached to something that might or might not be ok.

A 41 mag especially in a RedHawk will kill anything that needs killing.