Thread: Navigation question

Default Navigation question

I have a very generic floating GPS for my boat. Its great for making tracks and marking spots etc but it does not contain bottom contour mapping. I typically pick out spots I want to fish using the NOAA charts and just guess. How would I find gps coordinates for those spots that I find on NOAA maps that I can plug into my GPS to get me a more accurate location?

Im going to fish out of Valdez in a few weeks for the first time and would like to have a small clue on where I am heading. I dont ever bother asking for help finding a spot because asking for a fishing spot is liking asking to sleep with someones wife I have found over time. Im fairly competent without direction but a little better directions never hurt anyone. Worse case scenario I break down and buy a bottom contour GPS but I got kids and Im on a budget so would prefer to get by with what I have.

Thanks.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

If you have the charts you have the numbers you need. Mark your spot on the chart, horizontal and vertical lines from there to the outer edge of the chart will give you your gps coordinates, you'll have to fine tune it a bit on arrival.

07 Ocean Pro 220 ET HT
    115 Yamaha
    Garmin 740S, GMR 18 HD
    Airmar TM 260-MM

pick up a chart it has a bottom depth and the gps coordinates. remember the chart long and lat are true not mag.
    I have a bunch of old loran charts which work great with the gps.

Quote Originally Posted by SkinnyRaven View Post
    If you have the charts you have the numbers you need. Mark your spot on the chart, horizontal and vertical lines from there to the outer edge of the chart will give you your gps coordinates, you'll have to fine tune it a bit on arrival.
    I have never noticed those! Ok so which number is what? The map Im looking at is 16700 to be specific. It says 61 on one end and 146 or 147 on the other and then there are numbers in between that. Would that be 61.50 for example?

I really like Navionics where there is cell phone coverage. If not, I use GPSnauticalcharts for the iPhone. You can download specific charts ahead of time so you don't need to be connected to cell phone coverage. I would assume they have them for android.

google it and you will see how the chart works. Make sure that your GPS and your chart are using the same coordinate system or you could be way off.

Quote Originally Posted by c6 batmobile View Post
    I have never noticed those! Ok so which number is what?
    Longitude (larger number) should be at the top and bottom of the chart Latitude (smaller number) should be on the left and right sides.

Would that be 61.50 for example?
    The first number of the sequence is degrees followed by feet.

07 Ocean Pro 220 ET HT
    115 Yamaha
    Garmin 740S, GMR 18 HD
    Airmar TM 260-MM

Not true Latitude and longitude are in Degrees, Minutes, and seconds or hundredth's. Make sure to check your chart, and GPS. Also never trust your life on what anyone else tells you. Best of luck, and good fishing!

Quote Originally Posted by SkinnyRaven View Post
    Longitude (larger number) should be at the top and bottom of the chart Latitude (smaller number) should be on the left and right sides.

The first number of the sequence is degrees followed by feet.

Quote Originally Posted by Kardinal_84 View Post
    I really like Navionics where there is cell phone coverage. If not, I use GPSnauticalcharts for the iPhone. You can download specific charts ahead of time so you don't need to be connected to cell phone coverage. I would assume they have them for android.
    Agree, the $15 for the Navionics ap is well worth it. My Garmin lost it's satellite signal last week and my iphone with the Navionics put us on my halibut spot, and well outside cell phone coverage. It doesn't need it. You can get contours on it too as you zoom in. Nice ap!

Quote Originally Posted by MGH55 View Post
    Not true Latitude and longitude are in Degrees, Minutes, and seconds or hundredth's.
    Right. You may have to convert the minutes and seconds to degrees for certain GPS units.

Quote Originally Posted by Fish Witch View Post
    Agree, the $15 for the Navionics ap is well worth it.
    Another vote for the Navionics app. I use it a lot for fishing lakes.
    "The North wind is cold no matter what direction it's blowing"

Quote Originally Posted by Fish Witch View Post
    Agree, the $15 for the Navionics ap is well worth it. My Garmin lost it's satellite signal last week and my iphone with the Navionics put us on my halibut spot, and well outside cell phone coverage. It doesn't need it. You can get contours on it too as you zoom in. Nice ap!
    so if you dont need cellphone coverage how does it figure out where you are in the world?
    I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
    but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

GPS receiver.
    "I'd rather be fishing!"

I have the Navonics app running on a 7 inch Google tablet (with built in GPS) as a back up to my chart plotter. The charts are not bad and it works okay. I don't like it as much as a chart plotter but then again I can't carry my chart plotter to work and sit here and look for fishing spots either.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by JR2 View Post
    I have the Navonics app running on a 7 inch Google tablet (with built in GPS) as a back up to my chart plotter. The charts are not bad and it works okay. I don't like it as much as a chart plotter but then again I can't carry my chart plotter to work and sit here and look for fishing spots either.
    Have you upgraded to the sonar charts. At least close in where I fish, the resolution is pretty incredible and accurate. For sitting at your deskt top, its hard to beat Navionics webapp though it doesn't tie into your personal charts. Click on the sonar icon lower left to get the more detailed sonar charts. I like it since the standard google maps doesn't seem to have a distance calculator on it.

http://webapp.navionics.com/#@6&key=kiqiJjmrz%5B

Have you upgraded to the sonar charts. At least close in where I fish, the resolution is pretty incredible and accurate. For sitting at your deskt top, its hard to beat Navionics webapp though it doesn't tie into your personal charts. Click on the sonar icon lower left to get the more detailed sonar charts. I like it since the standard google maps doesn't seem to have a distance calculator on it.

http://webapp.navionics.com/#@6&key=kiqiJjmrz%5B
    Guess Ill try this app out since so many have recommended it. Im usually leery of purchasing apps based on the reviews others leave for it but several guys here that I know fish a lot have said it works it must. Eventually I would like a chart plotter but I want a lot of things a bigger boat being one.

Quote Originally Posted by c6 batmobile View Post
    Guess Ill try this app out since so many have recommended it. Im usually leery of purchasing apps based on the reviews others leave for it but several guys here that I know fish a lot have said it works it must. Eventually I would like a chart plotter but I want a lot of things a bigger boat being one.
    Check out webapp link. It shows exactly what it will show on your mobile app. Except the currents and tide markers don't work. To get the sonarchart detail, it is an extra in-app purchase. The most money I have paid for any app. But its also the best deal I think of any app i have bought for my iPhone as well.

Check out webapp link. It shows exactly what it will show on your mobile app. Except the currents and tide markers don't work. To get the sonarchart detail, it is an extra in-app purchase. The most money I have paid for any app. But its also the best deal I think of any app i have bought for my iPhone as well.
    Just downloaded it. Seems to be exactly what I was looking for. Are the distances for the pins correct? I plotted from port valdez to hitchenbrook at about 45 miles aprx going around the islands etc. Not sure if that is accurate. I thought it was further.