Thread: Federal Premium ammo is it hot or is it just me?

Default Federal Premium ammo is it hot or is it just me?

Was out at the range yesterday and ran into a guy I know and he happened to be working some new loads and had a chrono out. I fired 2 shots threw my 300 WSM using Federal factory ammo 180 NP's. The chrono read 3250fps and 3310 fps on the 2 shots I fired. The guy who owns the chrono advised me that the Federals he shot threw his 270 WSM were off the charts as well but other stuff was within quoted ranges. According to these speeds my gun is shooting the factory 180 Partitions 200-300 fps faster than advertised. Have you guys seen this before.

No.

I have seen people set up chronies wrong and get 200-300 fps false readings especially with the mini collapsable ones like the gamma and such.

If the folding chrony is not fully opened and flat you can get false readings from the reading distance being off.

Seen Ohelers set up in a hurry with 1st and 2nd distances not exact and same thing happens.

jedi

I an see what your saying Jedi, however the guy who owns this chrono was shooting handloads and his velocities were inline with the quick load data he was using. He was shooting a 270WSM with 150 grainers at 2750 fps or so. If his read faster than normal I would be thinking the same as you but since his loads and velocities were inline, the 200-300 fps faster velocity from my 300 isn't so easy to understand. I mean geez those are 300 RUM velocities and most likely unachievable in the 300WSM without risking serious injury or damage to the gun IMO. I am really scratching my head on this one.

Did you have any pressure signs? How did they extract?

Nothing abnormal Perry, bolt was snug but not tight to break open and no signs of excess pressure on the cases. Weird as heck, I need to find someone else who has a chrono and double check it though like I said the other guys loads were right on velocity wise.

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaCub View Post
    Nothing abnormal Perry, bolt was snug but not tight to break open and no signs of excess pressure on the cases. Weird as heck, I need to find someone else who has a chrono and double check it though like I said the other guys loads were right on velocity wise.
    Well, if you had no pressure signs his Chrono was wrong because it is physically impossible due limited case space for those velocities to take place and not have sever pressure signs or a jam or very stiff bolt. just a thought.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

shoot murphy a pm.

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaCub View Post
    Was out at the range yesterday and ran into a guy I know and he happened to be working some new loads and had a chrono out. I fired 2 shots threw my 300 WSM using Federal factory ammo 180 NP's. The chrono read 3250fps and 3310 fps on the 2 shots I fired. The guy who owns the chrono advised me that the Federals he shot threw his 270 WSM were off the charts as well but other stuff was within quoted ranges. According to these speeds my gun is shooting the factory 180 Partitions 200-300 fps faster than advertised. Have you guys seen this before.
    Sometimes blast does this too...seen muzzle blast from magnums cause screens which were too close to the muzzle to slightly colapse the distance.

Always make sure screens are at least 10ft or more from the muzzle.

Chrono's are very picky about precise distances between screens.

If he shot before you, that would explain why he had good readings before his last blast or your 1st blast moved the screen.(honestly its the only thing I can come up with since it happened to me with my .375 H&H)

Muzzle blast making the master gamma chrony slightly close and skewing readings usually only happens on bright days when the screen diffusers are used since they act like sails to catch big magnum blasts sometimes.

Also, with handguns that have bullet speeds under the speed of sound at whatever elevation...without a blast shield with a hole cut in it to shoot thru you will get the same readings every time. You will get the reading of the sonic blast wave before the bullet reaches the screens.(seen a dude shoot 300 rounds and proclaim what a hot consistant low recoil load....then I told him his load was subsonic and he was reading the blast wave....he almost cried)

jedi