Thread: Taxidermy ideas?

Default Taxidermy ideas?

I just took my first ever spring bear. He's blonde colour phase and truly one of the most beautiful animals I've ever laid eyes on. I'm looking for some unique ideas for a naturalistic half mount because the research I have done has not really caught my eye. Please help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congrats..Nice bear!....why not full mount, shouldn't be that much more money than a half mount!
    "Mountains are not fair or unfair, they are just dangerous" ~ Reinhold Messner

I could be wrong, but it looks like a bad rub on the rear.

Quote Originally Posted by ramhunter View Post
    Congrats..Nice bear!....why not full mount, shouldn't be that much more money than a half mount!

BowDoe, a corner of the wall mount, a cave with just the front half of the bear exiting. Or better yet, the bear laying half out of a cave/den with it's head on it's paws.

Congratulations on a magnificent bear! I prefer the half mounts that are walking, and with a bear like yours that would best show his blond coat. An upright mount will show his belly and chest.

Perhaps a hard turn or offset body to show even more of that beautiful coat.
    Taxidermy IS art!
    www.alaskawildliferugs.com
    Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!

Quote Originally Posted by JuliW View Post
    Congratulations on a magnificent bear! I prefer the half mounts that are walking, and with a bear like yours that would best show his blond coat. An upright mount will show his belly and chest.

Juli, do you have a picture example of the half mount, walking?

king

Quote Originally Posted by kingfisherktn View Post
    Juli, do you have a picture example of the half mount, walking?

king

no examples of that pose (of my own work, anyway) - although I do have photos of some upright and charging mounts I did while I was an employee at Fosters. I guess I should have taken more photos of my work there, but in the end feel it would not be right to use those photos to advertise my own business.

I will be mounting up a half lifesize blackie in a walking pose this fall/winter, similar to the link below but altered to be at a 45 or sharper angle to the wall - to show the side more.

http://s38.photobucket.com/user/fisc...ar001.jpg.html

I also really like this pose - for a half lifesize it would show the back and sides
    http://i1244.photobucket.com/albums/...axidermy_6.jpg

The OP can google 'half lifesize bear' to get some ideas of pose types.
    Taxidermy IS art!
    www.alaskawildliferugs.com
    Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!

Thanks......

Quote Originally Posted by BowDoe View Post
    I just took my first ever spring bear. He's blonde colour phase and truly one of the most beautiful animals I've ever laid eyes on. I'm looking for some unique ideas for a naturalistic half mount because the research I have done has not really caught my eye. Please help!

Did you skin the whole thing out? If so, and if it's as nice as you say, it would be a shame to cut the thing in half......imo anyway. I know you want a half mount, but a well done rug sure is beautiful. Just something to think about if you do in fact have the whole hide...
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Did you skin the whole thing out? If so, and if it's as nice as you say, it would be a shame to cut the thing in half......imo anyway. I know you want a half mount, but a well done rug sure is beautiful. Just something to think about if you do in fact have the whole hide...
    I do have the whole hide and was initially going to rug him out but, we have a beautiful bear rug. I was thinking to use the leftover hide for a nice throw or decorative pillow for my couch.

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    I could be wrong, but it looks like a bad rub on the rear.
    I think it's the way he's laying in the pic and his hair is real long, kind of wispy.

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    BowDoe, a corner of the wall mount, a cave with just the front half of the bear exiting. Or better yet, the bear laying half out of a cave/den with it's head on it's paws.
    I really like the idea of the corner mount! Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by JuliW View Post

I really agree with you JuliW. If there are three things I really want to showcase they have to be his blonde coat, the transition from blonde to red from top to paw and his chocolate mask. I believe your suggestion will check all three boxes. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by BowDoe View Post
    I do have the whole hide and was initially going to rug him out but, we have a beautiful bear rug. I was thinking to use the leftover hide for a nice throw or decorative pillow for my couch.

Yes, if you already have a nice bear rug then I can totally understand. Juli does have a great idea.

Good luck with whatever you choose. Hope it ends up better than you'd hoped for as he is quite a prize...!!!
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ramhunter View Post
    That is true I'm just having a hard time deciding. And you're right, probably giving into my frugal side.... Lol. Shame shame!

How about something like this?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    In Nature's Image Taxidermy and Game Calls
    Palmer

Expanding on the corner mount idea........maybe a half mount where it makes it look like the bear is standing on its hind feet, with the front paws on a small tree while checking out a beehive, porcupine or even a grouse on a limb. It could be positioned to show off a good portion of the backside of the bear without losing the facial features and it incorperates a nice vegetative setting. This may take a little form alteration, but a good taxidermist should have no problem.

"I Envy Him And Him Only, That Catches More Fish Than I Do" Izaac Walton 1653
    The question of hunting is not a matter of life or death... it's more important than that

Quote Originally Posted by AK Trout View Post
    Expanding on the corner mount idea........maybe a half mount where it makes it look like the bear is standing on its hind feet, with the front paws on a small tree while checking out a beehive, porcupine or even a grouse on a limb. It could be positioned to show off a good portion of the backside of the bear without losing the facial features and it incorperates a nice vegetative setting. This may take a little form alteration, but a good taxidermist should have no problem.
    I absolutely love this idea! I think it would really show off the kind of natural curiosity I'm looking to display. Thank you so much!

Quote Originally Posted by Hughiam View Post

How about something like this?
    Beautiful work! I like the feel of this mount. It shows an alertness that seems natural. That's what I'm looking to do.