Thread: In need of some creative input.

Red face In need of some creative input.

Greetings all. I was fortunate enough to take my first bear this spring and I consider myself to be extra fortunate as he is a beautiful colour phase. I'm looking for some unique ideas for a half mount and was hoping I could ask for some help. I don't care for the aggressive looking mounts that have the bear lunging forward in attack and such a pose would not do this bear justice. Other than that, I'm totally up in arms about what to do and the research I have done hasn't struck a cord. Please help?

Yeah, the attack pose is over used. Working in S.E. Ak logging, and growing up and logging on the west coast, I've seen hundreds, or maybe thousands of bears. The snarling, teeth bared mount just looks un-natural to me.
    I have a head/shoulder mount from a sow I shot with my bow. No teeth showing. I like it. Looks like a real bear.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Dave McClannahan aka Lone Wolf Taxidermy in Eagle River has a real cool half mount of a grizzly. It is posed on a "rock" ledge laying down, head up and closed mouth with a deer skull between its paws. The expression on the face is calm and similar to bears I have seen relaxing in the sun. I really like it. I'll try and get over there this week end and take a picture of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill S. View Post
    Dave McClannahan aka Lone Wolf Taxidermy in Eagle River has a real cool half mount of a grizzly. It is posed on a "rock" ledge laying down, head up and closed mouth with a deer skull between its paws. The expression on the face is calm and similar to bears I have seen relaxing in the sun. I really like it. I'll try and get over there this week end and take a picture of it.
    I would be so grateful if you could. That sounds like an amazing idea. Thank you so much!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeRoss View Post
    Yeah, the attack pose is over used. Working in S.E. Ak logging, and growing up and logging on the west coast, I've seen hundreds, or maybe thousands of bears. The snarling, teeth bared mount just looks un-natural to me.
    I have a head/shoulder mount from a sow I shot with my bow. No teeth showing. I like it. Looks like a real bear.
    Exactly my thoughts. I believe that a happy girl like me needs a happy bear on the wall

weena's brown1.jpgweena's brown3.jpg

This is the pose Bill S. mentioned. It was severely rubbed in the back half, so my wife came up with this pose.

There are endless poses your taxidermist can create for you. Suggest you find a few photos on an internet search and find a pose you like. Then get with your taxidermist to discuss specifics.

Your bear is really unique, and will be a big investment. Take your time and make sure you will be happy with a final mount.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf1 View Post
    weena's brown1.jpgweena's brown3.jpg

This is the pose Bill S. mentioned. It was severely rubbed in the back half, so my wife came up with this pose.

There are endless poses your taxidermist can create for you. Suggest you find a few photos on an internet search and find a pose you like. Then get with your taxidermist to discuss specifics.

Your bear is really unique, and will be a big investment. Take your time and make sure you will be happy with a final mount.

Good luck!
    That is a beautiful mount! I have looked on the Internet for inspiration and was not able to find anything that caught my eye. I like how that pose is able to showcase all aspects of the bear's colour. Exactly the type of thing I was looking for. Thank you so much!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill S. View Post
    Did you mean to say bear skull between its paws, that skull has big teeth. I think a deer skull would be even better, as it would look more like he is playing with it. Still a very nice set up.

Quote Originally Posted by BEARBOB View Post
    Did you mean to say bear skull between its paws, that skull has big teeth. I think a deer skull would be even better, as it would look more like he is playing with it. Still a very nice set up.
    Both ideas are great. The deer skull would be wicked but the fact that it's his skull pits off a protective vibe. Like he's guarding his spirit. I love it!

Default Lifesize

Could always go go lifesize and have it walking up or down hill, shows off the color, and size.

Dahlbergs Taxidermy
    Quality Counts @ Dahlberg's Taxidermy

Quote Originally Posted by BEARBOB View Post

This is the way it used to be set up, but I swapped the deer skull for the bear skull.

PDR_0580.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf1 View Post
    This is the way it used to be set up, but I swapped the deer skull for the bear skull.

PDR_0580.jpg
    I like both!